home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 01-27-2016, 12:59 PM   #1
holdenjp
Board Member

Default RWD manual trans swap

Looking for a list of everything I would need to pull from a donor to swap a manual into my 91 245 auto. There are a couple nearby and I'm considering pulling parts to swap later. One is a 245, so I'm assuming its a straight swap. The other is a 744, so I'm unsure about things like the pedal assembly.

1991 245 - Daily Driver, IPD Turbo cam advanced 2 deg, B230FT with 15G, TLAO Chips, MBC, AW71, Upper and Lower braces, IPD 25mm sways, Lowered on H&R springs and Bilstein HD's, Mille Miglia's 205/55/16

1986 Porsche 944 Turbo

Link to my feedback thread.
holdenjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

The 700 stuff won't really work only the flywheel, bell housing and the body of the transmission swaps over.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna sprout?

Last edited by Redwood Chair; 01-27-2016 at 01:30 PM..
Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #3
2manyturbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdenjp View Post
Looking for a list of everything I would need to pull from a donor to swap a manual into my 91 245 auto. There are a couple nearby and I'm considering pulling parts to swap later. One is a 245, so I'm assuming its a straight swap. The other is a 744, so I'm unsure about things like the pedal assembly.
What year is the donor 245? You need a 1989 or newer donor car so that you get the crank trigger equipped flywheel.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:55 PM   #4
holdenjp
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
What year is the donor 245? You need a 1989 or newer donor car so that you get the crank trigger equipped flywheel.
holdenjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:06 PM   #5
2manyturbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdenjp View Post
Then you should have everything you need from that car. If you look down at the back of the engine and see the crank sensor then indeed, you have an 89 or newer set up with the proper flywheel.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:17 PM   #6
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

From the donor;

Pedals and box, clutch cable, transmission, flywheel, clutch kit, shift boot, 'C' clip from back of crank, and at least the front half of the prop, probably the whole thing if you don't want to worry about mix & mismatch vibrations.

Pilot bearing, and rubber transmission mount, [and possibly clutch kit depending on wear] need / should be new.

Fakey edit;

Crossmember is the same as far as I know.
Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:35 PM   #7
Jesse B
Fine Modern Gentleman

You'll have to drill a hole in the firewall too for the clutch cable to pass through. You might want to take pictures form the donor car to get an idea of where that's supposed to live.

Also check in the donor car - there should be a little wire with blade connectors on each end that loops the neutral safety switch. Not necessary, as you can easily make one, but if it's there, why not? An already nicely made wire.

If you have cruise control, you'll wanna grab the clutch pedal kill switch, and the wiring. If you don't have cruise, maybe you could grab the whole thing from the donor!
'96 855T, Autumn Gold, now converted to m56!
'11 XC70, T6
Jesse B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #8
Jesse B
Fine Modern Gentleman

Oh, and do the rear main while you're in there. Don't mess with the housing unless it's leaking. Just do the seal.
Jesse B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:54 AM   #9
TouringMusician
Board Member

I put off manual swapping my 93 for two years, thinking it would be terrible, but honestly the ONLY terrible part was getting the pedal box to fit up over the steering column. Drilling the hole is common sense-mine didn't even quite end up in the right place, and its worked for 100k fine. I am not/was not any sort of master mechanic when I did mine, just had a friend help.

I do believe the manual has a different crossmember, AND, if I remember correctly, the crossmember mounts in holes about 4 inches offset from the auto. As in, the manual trans is either shorter or longer than the auto, so the member mounts in a different place. The holes for all the mountings are already there, though.

I did the swap in about 4 weeks, in a driveway, including taking the motor out and freshening seals. All the real work happened in the first week. The remaining three weeks were spent in bewilderment of how to make the pedal box to fit past the steering column, and which wire to connect to convince the car it was in park.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:08 AM   #10
Hotdoggin
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse B View Post
Oh, and do the rear main while you're in there. Don't mess with the housing unless it's leaking. Just do the seal.
It's only a few extra bolts for the insurance that it wont leak in the future. Also takes out having to make a seal driver tool doing it with the housing out of the car.
1984 244DL - Crushed
1984 245DL - Sitting in someone's yard
1991 740SE - girlfriend's car
2008 S60 2.5T - Money drainer
Hotdoggin is offline   Reply With Quote