home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 02-23-2019, 06:58 PM   #1
drift256
Board Member

Default 122k 745 Turbo maintenance items and power steering issue

Learning the ropes of my new 745 turbo. So far I've identified that the turbo inlet pipe needs to be replaced and I have found the main source of oil leakage which is the crankcase oil breather which had separated into 2 halves. I'm compiling a list of maintenance items and would like any advice on additional things to order and replace while I'm at it. Car has 122k miles. My list so far is:

Timing belt
Water pump
Valve cover gasket
Cam seals (swap for IPD turbo cam while I'm in there?)
Oil crankcase breather
Distributor cap and button
Spark plugs and wires
Air filter

One other major issue is that my power steering doesn't work. The reservoir is empty and there seems to be a lot of fluid under the rack. Is there a common problem/fix or should I just replace the rack? Thanks fellas.
drift256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:03 PM   #2
TestPoint
Board Member

Unless there is an obvious leak in the reservoir, pump and hoses the racks is the obvious issue. A rebuilt rack with a warranty is your best bet.

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:18 PM   #3
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

Here are some more suggestions.
Timing belt and tensioner
Water pump , thermostat, and any soft or decayed coolant hoses.
Heater valve, use the aftermarket one the turbobrickers suggest. Valve cover gasket
Cam seals (swap for IPD turbo cam while I'm in there?) yes, and do the hushers if you can. You will need to adjust the valve lash, too.
Oil crankcase breather and all related pcv hoses.
Spark plugs and wires
Air filter, also remove air filter thermostat and modify the air box so you only get cold air intake. You are blocking off the hot air. This is good to do unless you live in a very cold climate.
Check over the engine and look at the bushings on the accessory drive like the alternator, a/c, and power steering pump.
Check over the wiring and make sure there aren't any wires with decayed or flaking insulation around the engne. Also check the fuel pump wiring under the car.

The idea with stage Zero for your car is to get the maintenance and upkeep on your known good instances. So all fluids nad filters like the fuel, air, oil should all be changed. The fluid should be changed in the differential, and the transmission. Brakes bled, pads checked or replaced with a good look at the rotors. Check wheel bearings for play and put the car up so you can check the suspension bushings and other suspension components.

Stage zero your 122k miles car and you'll have many more miles to drive and enjoy.

Last edited by dl242gt; 02-24-2019 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: spelling
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:27 PM   #4
drift256
Board Member

Fantastic! Thanks for the advice! I'll be ordering a good portion of this stuff today. I didn't know anything about the Air box mod. Is there a write up for this?
Old 02-24-2019, 07:36 PM   #5
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

There is. I'm not good at searching. The guys here like to use google for searching web sites but I haven't done much of that. The mod basically removes the movement of the flapper so hot air won't flow to the air filter box. You can see what I mean when you take the top off. there is also some foam in there that decays and that is good to throw away as well.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:32 PM   #6
drift256
Board Member

I'll check it out. Google. Never heard of her.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:45 PM   #7
Jesse B
Fine Modern Gentleman

I just bought a 124k mile '95 945.

I'd go ahead and get a new fuel pump relay, and keep the old one as a spare.

I changed out my Crank Position Sensor (CPS) even though mine was a white-banded one that looked good up top. Glad I did, because it was deteriorating at the bottom. You may have a hall sensor though, if your 745T is older...

I also did, or am in the process of doing, everything dl242gt said. Just have the transmission and diff flushes, the brakes, and the fuel filter left to go. I'll probably do a preventative water pump and timing belt too, even though the timing belt was done 25k miles ago (it was done 12 years ago). I did do the heater valve and thermostat though, and bought Volvo coolant from Tasca.
'96 855T, Autumn Gold, now converted to m56!
'11 XC70, T6
Jesse B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:32 PM   #8
oldnfast
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse B View Post
I just bought a 124k mile '95 945.

I'd go ahead and get a new fuel pump relay, and keep the old one as a spare.

I changed out my Crank Position Sensor (CPS) even though mine was a white-banded one that looked good up top. Glad I did, because it was deteriorating at the bottom. You may have a hall sensor though, if your 745T is older...

I also did, or am in the process of doing, everything dl242gt said. Just have the transmission and diff flushes, the brakes, and the fuel filter left to go. I'll probably do a preventative water pump and timing belt too, even though the timing belt was done 25k miles ago (it was done 12 years ago). I did do the heater valve and thermostat though, and bought Volvo coolant from Tasca.
Damn a 95 945 with 124k,where did you find that one? Turbo or NA? Wise move doing the thermostat and valve. I picked up a 92 745 with 135k,the original stat was stuck opened and broke to pieces when I removed it.the valve was brittle and moments from busting.
To the op, the first thing you should do is replace that heater valve. The ford Motocraft YG-136 is a excellent replacement.nice find,very low mileage. If maintained these go can really go the distance,my 95 945 is about to hit 400k good luck with yours
oldnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:00 AM   #9
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Here are some more suggestions.
Timing belt and tensioner
Water pump , thermostat, and any soft or decayed coolant hoses.
Heater valve, use the aftermarket one the turbobrickers suggest. Valve cover gasket
Cam seals (swap for IPD turbo cam while I'm in there?) yes, and do the hushers if you can. You will need to adjust the valve lash, too.
Oil crankcase breather and all related pcv hoses.
Spark plugs and wires
Air filter, also remove air filter thermostat and modify the air box so you only get cold air intake. You are blocking off the hot air. This is good to do unless you live in a very cold climate.
Check over the engine and look at the bushings on the accessory drive like the alternator, a/c, and power steering pump.
Check over the wiring and make sure there aren't any wires with decayed or flaking insulation around the engne. Also check the fuel pump wiring under the car.

The idea with stage Zero for your car is to get the maintenance and upkeep on your known good instances. So all fluids nad filters like the fuel, air, oil should all be changed. The fluid should be changed in the differential, and the transmission. Brakes bled, pads checked or replaced with a good look at the rotors. Check wheel bearings for play and put the car up so you can check the suspension bushings and other suspension components.

Stage zero your 122k miles car and you'll have many more miles to drive and enjoy.
OUTSTANDING list.... the only adder I'd do is all vacuum hoses replace with silicone, of proper diameter. Forget the IPD Turbo cam, for now..... a MBC will provide more thrill for less effort.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:04 PM   #10
Jesse B
Fine Modern Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnfast View Post
Damn a 95 945 with 124k,where did you find that one? Turbo or NA? Wise move doing the thermostat and valve. I picked up a 92 745 with 135k,the original stat was stuck opened and broke to pieces when I removed it.the valve was brittle and moments from busting.
To the op, the first thing you should do is replace that heater valve. The ford Motocraft YG-136 is a excellent replacement.nice find,very low mileage. If maintained these go can really go the distance,my 95 945 is about to hit 400k good luck with yours
Thanks! I found it in NH of all places! It has what I think is an odd assortment of options: cloth seats, no sunroof, but heated seats, power driver seat, cruise, etc. Beautiful merlot color with gray cloth. It's a non-turbo. Trying to do everything right with it so I can get that kind of mileage out of it.
Jesse B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:06 PM   #11
drift256
Board Member

What is the reason for replacing the heater valve? This is the first I've heard of replacing it.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:56 PM   #12
oldnfast
Board Member

They become brittle over time and fail,and you use lots of coolant fast.its easy to change and the ford valve is like $20 from amazon.its the first maintenance item I do on any new to me 7/9 series. Definitely cheaper and a hell of a lot easier than doing a head gasket.
oldnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:04 PM   #13
drift256
Board Member

Ok I will look up the ford valve. Thanks fellas. Btw I drove the car to work today for the first time. She runs sweet.