• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Has anyone used Centerforce p/n 281222 (9.5"/241mm T5 clutch disc)?

towerymt

the real Towery
I found one reference to Ford p/n 281222 from Josh (sdturbo) about a million years ago...then apparently he sold it before ever using it.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=3886517&&highlight=281222&postcount=151

I was shopping around for a 240mm T5 clutch disc to use with a Saab 240mm pressure plate and this was the only factory application I came across. Most people seem to order a custom disc from what I gathered from reading old threads.

240mm = 9.449". Disc diameter is listed at 241mm = 9.488", or 9.500". I'm assuming the spec is 9.5" and the actual disc size is the 241mm, but I don't really know.

Has anyone used one of these before? Any comments about fit with a Saab pressure plate...since most people seem to go that route when using a 240mm clutch?

I've got some 228mm clutch stuff on the way, but re-discovered that my modified flat flywheel is already drilled for the 240mm PP, so exploring all my options before I commit.

Application: daily driver 240 F+T, 15g, ~15psi tops. I don't need an aggressive disc, especially when it's this size.

Funny timing. I was JUST about to buy a custom clutch from southbend for a rwd whiteblock swap with a ford T5. Never came across that option.

I guess the only downside is the centerforce will likely be a 1-2 mm thicker friction material than the european standard so you might get into having to shim the pp out.

Have you read anything about the quality of centerforce stuff?

The tall yoshifab throwout bearing won't work with this 240mm pressure plate. I don't have exact measurements yet, but it's somewhere around 10mm taller than the 228mm pressure plate I bought at the same time (another Saab application).

Tried putting the bell housing on today to test whether I'd need to space the pivot at all...Couldn't even seat the bell housing on the block with the clutch fork & bearing in place. Slid the bearing off the pins in the fork, bolted down the bell housing with two bolts, and then saw that I wasn't very close to being able to fit the bearing in the space between the pressure plate fingers & clutch fork pins.

Yoshifab bearing:
60mm overall height.
Midpoint of the section where the pins fit, to the face of the bearing that rides on the fingers: 53.4mm

1.44" ID
2.64" OD (big end that contacts the pressure plate)
p/n RCT4067A2RS
-------------------------------------
McLeod 16515
1.43" ID
3.000" bearing face

Height options (not certain if this is total height):
1.345" (34.16mm), 1.530" (38.86mm), 1.700" (43.18mm)
-------------------------------------
Mustang V8 5.0 off-the-shelf bearing...TBD (picking one up later today).

I think there are two different offsets of clutch forks, early and late. I ran into this same issue.
I just added another groove to the bearing sleeve. This was using a t5 and stock flat PP with a conversion disk.

I know for 240 series there is the type that holds the bearing with pins. The later I think 85-93 just has a hole that the same type of bearing snaps into. The only difference in the bearings is slots for the pins and the later type just has some metal pieces there to fit in the hole.

I bought two forks, I'll check the other one tomorrow. I'm using the M46 cable style with the pins that retain the bearing, not the M47 style with clip-in bearing.

bump... has anyone tried this centerforce clutch disc? I stumbled upon it at Jegs.

I am curious if it can be used with the TTV fw + 850R pressure plate in a T5 with M46 bellhousing.

I took a gamble and ordered the 9.5" centerforce disc: (https://www.jegs.com/i/Centerforce/183/281222/10002/-1)

About fitting in the m46 bellhousing, it looks like the design of the 850r pressure plate is too thick around the edges. I can't find hard evidence, though. I did find this image without context:
aCPywTNl.jpeg

The sachs 707 pressure plate is more tapered/less tall around the edges and evidence that it actually fits in the bellhousing is here. So assuming the centerforce clutch disc is actually 240mm and 10 spline/1.0625" it looks like a decent enough combo with the ttv flywheel for the 707 pp and a T5.

Nice, thank you! Have you ever fit a 850r pressure plate inside the m46/7 bellhousing?

Nice, thank you! Have you ever fit a 850r pressure plate inside the m46/7 bellhousing?

I have not. They are very tall, and from some research it seems like they will interfere... but maybe the grinding needed is minimal.

... that was fast.

They really could not have crammed more clutch area onto this :lol: (this is the wrong fw, but a ttv 215mm b20 model.)

Back