• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

MountainMeet 6.0: September 9-13, 2020

propav8r

F*ck Edgar
Bit earlier on the thread than normal, but I just made the reservation, so might as well put up the thread.

What the hell is a MountainMeet?

Five days (plus or minus, however long you want to stay) of hanging out in the woods with Volvo people, driving really damn fun roads, benchracing, and consuming mass quantities of smoked and grilled meats.

LiFwPu2h.jpg

SQo9fU6l.jpg

9XXLmvDh.jpg

0wPipGZh.jpg

zgfuHDoh.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cxopiHLd8H4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gPZgyrd.mp4

Where is it?

So glad you asked. Balsam Lake Lodge, NC. It's about as remote as you can get without hiking the AT. It's a 16-bed lodge with a nice big yard for tent/hammock camping, and plenty of parking.

Where am I staying?

Well, one thing led to another last year and all the beds are spoken for. However, there is more than enough room to shove things around inside for air mattresses, or you're welcome to pitch a tent (the kind you sleep in) or put up a hammock in the yard. There are also two large, comfy couches inside that can be claimed, but sleep there at your own risk.

What does it cost?

Not much. Those who wanted beds have already paid.

Just like last year, this year, I'm going to take up a collection via paypal for food prior to the meet, and I'll just buy everything beforehand and bring it. For those who don't contribute early, there will be a donation bucket out as in years past. See the post below for details.

Since this place is so remote, the closest decent restaurants are probably an hour and a half round trip. If you went to Waffle House for breakfast, by the time you got back, you'd need to leave again to get lunch.

For that reason, we cook 3 meals a day there, and for a group of 30+ people, cooking 3 meals a day is not a cheap or trivial undertaking. It is fun though.

Now the fun part: The Plans

Wednesday/Thursday 9/9 and 9/10

Those who want to arrive in the first wave can show up at the lodge at any time after 3pm on Wednesday (check in times got bumped back). The rest of Wednesday is pretty much set up/dinner/chill.

If you plan to stay Wednesday and/or Thursday night, bring a little cash to offset the cost of these nights. I've fronted the cost for that this year.

Friday 9/11

I'll probably lead a group on a short drive around the area and hit some of my favorite roads close to the lodge. The lion's share of you tend to arrive Friday evening. We'll throw something together for dinner (maybe spaghetti...that's easy to do in mass quantities and keeps well).

Saturday 9/12

This year, we'll leave for the drive at about 10:30am. I'll make a point to have a little pow-wow beforehand so people don't get turned around like they did last year. (LOOKING AT YOU KYLE).

The offroad thing was also fun in past years, so there'll be plenty of opportunity for that too.

That said, I HATE going to meets where everything is planned out and super rigorous. I don't care what you do. If you want to go gem mining, do that. If you want to bring a rod and reel and go fishing, do that. If you want to drive with us, do that. If you want to mountain bike in Pisgah or something, do that. I want YOU to have a good time, not be beholden to my whim.

Saturday night: 40s and ass.

Sunday 9/13

Wake up, clean up, GTFO. Check out is 12pm this year, and by that point, the lodge has to be completely clean and in the condition it was in when we arrived. Help accomplishing this task is greatly appreciated. This has generally gone smoothly in the past, and I really thank y'all for that.

Lodge Rules:

NEW RULE: If you don't pitch in for food, you don't eat. I'm serious. If you want to come but money's super tight, hit me up in advance and we can work something out :oogle:

I don't make money on this event, that's not my goal. I also don't want to come out of pocket for expenses either.

Technically, alcohol is not allowed at this place. There will be a trash can for your empty bottles and cans. Use it. Under no circumstances should you leave trash, particularly bottles and cans, laying around. We're in the middle of nowhere. There is a caretaker's house about 1/4 mile away, but as long as we don't get excessively rowdy, we'll be fine. There has been no historical issue with alcohol consumption. Let's not make this the first year.

I plan on leaving the lodge in the same condition it's in when we arrive. Your assistance in this mission is greatly appreciated.

You do not need to bring linens, however, you CAN bring your own, and it helps immensely with cleanup. Every sheet/towel/blanket that we use has to be washed, dried, folded, and put away. If you want to bring your own sheets/blankets/sleeping bags/whatever, that will save a TON of time and effort Sunday morning.

Also, there's no need to bring cooking utensils, pots and pans, stuff like that. It's all there.

The Fine Print

1: A note on attendance: If you plan on coming, have the courtesy to let me know in the thread. As a general rule, if we've met before and are cool, come on out. If we haven't met, just shoot me a PM and let me know you'd like to come. I try to open my events to everyone, but see #4 if there are any questions.

2: If you want to arrive Wednesday, you can. Do not arrive before say 3pm on Wednesday the 25th (well, no one at my house. you can come up the hill whenever I reckon). I will gladly host a couple people at my house Tuesday night. Pre-arrival coordination with me is required. First night at the lodge is Wednesday night. Do not arrive at the lodge before 3pm.

3: Bring enough 'stuff' (clothes, swimsuit, towel, bath accouterments) for the weekend and some emergencies. The lodge has running water and hot showers. Use them. Don't stink. Seriously, why do I have to say this every year? Take a damn shower ya nasty hobos.

4:I reserve the right to throw your ass out, don't try me. I also know (on a first name basis) the people to call if you push the issue. Please don't. Quickest way to get tossed: Piss off a bear or mess up the lodge. If you do anything dumb or anything that would jeopardize my ability to use NFS facilities in the future, there will be issues. This is a small community. Word gets around. We have (rather miraculously, I might add) had use of the lodge for four years running without incident. Let's keep that record going.

5: Bring more money than you "think" you'll need. Incidentals are a bitch and you're IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. The cost of the weekend really isn't that high, but double what you anticipate you'll need and you should be alright.

6: Do not bring marginal vehicles. If you're not confident in your car's ability to safely make the trip out and back, leave it at home and buy/beg/borrow/whatever some other means of transportation. You do not want to get out here and have something big fail, and I don't want to have you get out here and have something big fail. This is coming from someone who broke a T5 at the first MountainMeet.

6a: Rule 6 does not apply to anyone coming from the Gump or Nick. Poking fun at y'all has provided a lot of enjoyment over the years. Let's not upset tradition.

7: If you're unsure about something, bring a spare. If you're planning on driving your car on Sunday and you've got an M46, bring a spare or tow your car. Insert other parts where needed. Bring sufficient equipment to repair whatever you think you'll need to repair. Refer to the marginal vehicle paragraph above. Yes, I'm local, but in this case, local means that we will be anywhere between 1 and 3 hours away from my driveway and garage. Don't plan on using them, but they may be available in a pinch.

8: Not 21? Don't drink. Yeah, I know, laaaame. But in the unlikely event we do attract unwanted attention, I don't want to have to deal with some drunk 18 year old landing me in jail.

9: If you're gonna smoke the devil's lettuce, at least do it around back or something. I have no issues with it, but it is federal property, and I really don't want to get booted for future years. The caretakers can (and have) shown up randomly to check in on us.

Last edited:
Who's Coming?
$ Means you've paid for your bed
# Means you've contributed for food

Beds
  1. Propav8r $
  2. Bayleigh $
  3. RoadRacer4Life $
  4. Sarah $
  5. Linuxman51$
  6. Mr.Bill $
  7. 940Guy
  8. Towery $
  9. AndrewNance
  10. Hockey930
  11. Flash Gordon
  12. Wren $
  13. HondaMatt $
  14. BoostDemon
  15. MikeJr $
  16. MikeSr $

Camping/couchsurfing/otherwise
  17. MikeP
  18. Randy
  19. Joseph
  20. FlyingTog
  21. Kevin Rivera
  22. Fast740fromSC
  23. Fige
  24. Shaina
  25. Matt B.
  26. Chris P.
  27. JohnMC
  28. WindowsBreakerG4
  29. JesusBrett
  30. DMFWallace
  31. Kyote
  32. Elder Kyote
  33. Josh/jpbturbo
  34. James/vwbusman

Last edited:
Brett, Fige, and MikeP?!?!?

Definitely not a MM to miss!

I'm in, obviously. Doubtful there will be an S.O. at that point.
HOPEFULLY, the 142 will actually be done enough, or I'll have another DD that is usable.

I'm planning on running a T-shirt group-buy again when we get closer to the actual date (with the MM 2020 logo).

Last edited:
I'll be there in whatever isn't blown up at that point in time. So far I'm only down the PV.

Very interested in this as I'm trying to figure out how to replace the Davis trip this year. Going to see what my wife thinks about it, but I'd love to drive around this part of the country.

Very interested in this as I'm trying to figure out how to replace the Davis trip this year. Going to see what my wife thinks about it, but I'd love to drive around this part of the country.

It does not disappoint. It'll probably also ruin you for driving anywhere else.

Plus I really want to check out your car lol

Edit// from the direction you're coming, you could turn a little more south at Knoxville and come through on the Tail of the Dragon, then down 28 into Franklin. Wonderful roads.

Back