home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-23-2021, 03:18 PM   #276
patrickstar
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Bet it's something dumb like the low wattage light bulb signal missing.
I believe the alternator harness has a resistor(?) built-in to mimic the "low wattage bulb". The ECU was showing a consistent ~14.7ish volts while driving and cruising. I'm wondering if either the battery is bad or if my battery cables are routed wrong somehow...

@beige242 on instagram
patrickstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:01 PM   #277
patrickstar
Board Member

Who all has relocated their battery to the trunk? I am curious about wire size and routing, especially V8 swapped cars
Old 02-25-2021, 06:08 PM   #278
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstar View Post
Who all has relocated their battery to the trunk? I am curious about wire size and routing, especially V8 swapped cars
I haven't actually carried this out yet but I'm going to see if an E36 stock battery cable will work. In those cars the battery is in the passenger side buttcheek area essentially, and they have a nice high quality cable running through the cabin up into the engine bay. Should work for a 240 but again I haven't done a test fit or anything yet. I want to say it's 0 gauge (single aught) stranded cable but I can verify if you're interested.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:53 PM   #279
patrickstar
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
I haven't actually carried this out yet but I'm going to see if an E36 stock battery cable will work. In those cars the battery is in the passenger side buttcheek area essentially, and they have a nice high quality cable running through the cabin up into the engine bay. Should work for a 240 but again I haven't done a test fit or anything yet. I want to say it's 0 gauge (single aught) stranded cable but I can verify if you're interested.
Those come with a distribution block up front as well, right? Probably would have worked better than the homebrewed setup I've got.

I really think I need to bump up the main power cable and rework the battery ground cable.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:40 PM   #280
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Quote:
Those come with a distribution block up front as well, right? Probably would have worked better than the homebrewed setup I've got.

I really think I need to bump up the main power cable and rework the battery ground cable.
Yeah there is a junction block / jumper cable connection point near the firewall on the passenger side. The chassis has a battery tray there too, maybe some of the cheaper specs didn’t have the trunk mounted battery, but I know the 325i did.

I have one of these cables somewhere and looked for it today but couldn’t find it in my parts stash. If I get my hands on it soon I’ll let you know.

Edit: lots of BMWs have the battery in the trunk, so there may be a better battery cable to look at for 240 use. E34, E46, E39, etc. etc.

Last edited by Duder; 02-26-2021 at 12:29 AM..
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:04 PM   #281
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I will be doing the battery relocation, and you should use some huge wire for sure. I figured it out but have to find the notes on it, think it was 00 gauge, copper wire, not that aluminum with copper coating crap.

1978 242, 5.3 L33
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:54 PM   #282
patrickstar
Board Member

So I did quite a bit of testing today.

Battery is getting ~14.7v while running. Doesn't seem to have a parasitic draw anywhere. Battery was good, tested it and replaced it with a new one. Car was still doing the same thing.

I'm starting to think its a heat soak issue with the starter. It only does this while hot, when cold the car cranks with no hesitation. I'm running an aftermarket starter, Hooker 8501 clones, no heat shield on the starter. Im thinking I'll order one and give that a shot.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:05 PM   #283
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

If the starters not working when it’s hot, sounds like you may have a bad solenoid that’s getting jammed up when it’s heat soaked. Starters are pretty simple in operation...
Old 02-27-2021, 08:20 PM   #284
patrickstar
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
If the starters not working when itís hot, sounds like you may have a bad solenoid thatís getting jammed up when itís heat soaked. Starters are pretty simple in operation...
The starter might be suspect, it was a cheapo O'Reilly/Autozone/Napa starter.

The positive cable from trunk to starter is undersized anyway, so I am thinking I'll order new cables and a heat shield and see what that does for me. Might beef up some of my grounds as well
Old 02-27-2021, 09:34 PM   #285
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

My brother had a 2 gauge cable in his Corvette battery relocation and it was no where near big enough.
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:29 PM   #286
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Cable sizing is very interesting, I just went through this on an EV project at work.
You have to balance voltage drop, heat generated in the wire, constant current, peak current, and size and weight of the cable.

That being said 2awg should be more than fine. It has a continuous amp rating of more than 200 amps. I’ve used 8awg for rear mounted battery setups without issue. Peak currents aren’t that high high with a starter. You can run them through a 150amp fuse/breaker.

The issue comes when you have poor crimps and corrosion, or the starter spins the motor over too slow (usually a combination of corrosion in the wires and all the connections).

What Patrick is dealing with is a starter that won’t actually spin anything when hot. It has nothing to do with the cables, and everything to do with the starter and most likely the solenoid.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:52 PM   #287
patrickstar
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
Cable sizing is very interesting, I just went through this on an EV project at work.
You have to balance voltage drop, heat generated in the wire, constant current, peak current, and size and weight of the cable.

That being said 2awg should be more than fine. It has a continuous amp rating of more than 200 amps. Iíve used 8awg for rear mounted battery setups without issue. Peak currents arenít that high high with a starter. You can run them through a 150amp fuse/breaker.

The issue comes when you have poor crimps and corrosion, or the starter spins the motor over too slow (usually a combination of corrosion in the wires and all the connections).

What Patrick is dealing with is a starter that wonít actually spin anything when hot. It has nothing to do with the cables, and everything to do with the starter and most likely the solenoid.
I was hoping to talk to you about this when you grab the door cards today, this has been my thought process too. I only installed the 2awg because a friend suggested it. He's running the same setup in a LSX s13 and has never had issues.

I will mention that the starter does want to spin when its hot, but cranks too slow to do anything. It has the exact characteristics of a dying battery, but the battery is charging and has good voltage.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:53 PM   #288
patrickstar
Board Member

Tackled cutting my own 5-panel gaskets. Went to Hobby Lobby, picked up a 12x18" 5mm EVA foam sheet, a silver sharpie and a x-acto knife. Came out better than I expected. Next big interior project is going to be building a set of plain black doorcards via Dereks (Vol242vo) method.

I was planning on taking my girlfriend for a drive in it today, but wanted to throw my new taillights in first. I installed them but they need some work. Need to clean all the contacts up and test the brake light switch, I think it may need replacing.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:21 AM   #289
jstblz
Board Member

This is such a nice build. You love to see it.

Quote:
Next big interior project is going to be building a set of plain black doorcards via Dereks (Vol242vo) method.
Is there a build thread for the door cards somewhere? I plan on remaking my panels too.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:57 AM   #290
patrickstar
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstblz View Post
This is such a nice build. You love to see it.

Is there a build thread for the door cards somewhere? I plan on remaking my panels too.
Appreciate it!

Derek covered the process in his older build thread, its linked below.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...=336696&page=8
Old 03-03-2021, 11:27 AM   #291
jstblz
Board Member

Quote:
Appreciate it!

Thank you, good sir.
jstblz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:12 PM   #292
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

-Project Thread-

Follow on IG: @vol242vo

Last edited by Vol242vo; 03-03-2021 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: .
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:13 PM   #293
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Quote:
Appreciate it!

Sounds like an idiot. Looking good my man!
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:40 PM   #294
patrickstar
Board Member

Got the tires mounted today. 15x8 Epsilon Southern Ways with 225/45R15 Federal 595RS-RRs
Old 03-13-2021, 12:53 AM   #295
Coupid
Board Member

Oooooooh can’t wait to see them on the car!
1979 244DL Sold
1986 740+T Sold
1983 242T Sold
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:45 AM   #296
patrickstar
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupid View Post
Oooooooh canít wait to see them on the car!
I'm headed out to the shop in an hour or two to throw them on. Hoping I don't need spacers but I'm expecting I will
Old 03-13-2021, 09:51 PM   #297
patrickstar
Board Member

Fixed the taillights, installed the starter heatshield, installed the downpipe gaskets, adjusted the panhard bar, and installed the new wheels. I'm getting the car tuned this week, ordering the driver seat and registering it. Then I'll feel more confident in taking it out and about|

Old 03-14-2021, 12:33 AM   #298
Coupid
Board Member

That looks awesome! Good luck with the tune
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:40 AM   #299
patrickstar
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupid View Post
That looks awesome! Good luck with the tune
Thank you! I'm having a buddy e-tune it to get it "close enough" to drive for a while. I'm thinking this fall I'll dyno tune it but for a stock 4.8, it doesn't need a crazy tune.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:32 PM   #300
patrickstar
Board Member

Solved! I have been having hot start issues for the last couple weeks. Today I decided to buck up and buy new battery cables from a battery/auto electric shop in Portland. Went from 4ga to 2/0 and moved the circuit breaker from the cabin to the rear. Car starts perfect every time now, which is a huge relief.

It may have been ****ty crimp or it may have been the undersized wire, but I'm happy to have this problem solved. Next up, getting tuned.