• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

patrickstars 1983 242 4.8L/AR5 swap

Headed home this weekend to see the family (now that everyone is vaccinated) and did a little work on Derek (Vol242vos) old beige shell. I picked up this 86+ front end from a buddy and found a flathood on a FB group. I'm considering getting this shell painted and putting the V8 into it, but no decisions yet

OFPSuW5l.jpg

Also, my grandpa and I worked out a deal for me to buy his 2008 Tundra. I helped him buy this truck brand new and have always loved it. He's getting older and just doesn't really need a big truck anymore. I'm excited to have a reliable tow rig, maybe I can start jumping on those deals that are a little farther away now...

OoZTjBkl.jpg

No progress on the V8 car, gonna head out this weekend and get a few small things done. I put in a universal carpet kit and its been bugging me this entire time, so I think I'm going to swap in the factory brown carpet after cleaning it up.

Headed home this weekend to see the family (now that everyone is vaccinated) and did a little work on Derek (Vol242vos) old beige shell. I picked up this 86+ front end from a buddy and found a flathood on a FB group. I'm considering getting this shell painted and putting the V8 into it, but no decisions yet
Also, my grandpa and I worked out a deal for me to buy his 2008 Tundra. I helped him buy this truck brand new and have always loved it. He's getting older and just doesn't really need a big truck anymore. I'm excited to have a reliable tow rig, maybe I can start jumping on those deals that are a little farther away now...

No progress on the V8 car, gonna head out this weekend and get a few small things done. I put in a universal carpet kit and its been bugging me this entire time, so I think I'm going to swap in the factory brown carpet after cleaning it up.

Did you post pictures of carpet install?

Did you post pictures of carpet install?

No, I didn't end up taking many pictures during install. The carpet was a pain in the ass to work with, I wasn't patient enough and the actual carpet seems to be shorter on one side than the other (door sill trim doesn't fully cover the carpet). I should have waited for a factory black carpet to pop up in the junkyard

Still waiting on the coils, the delay killed a lot of my motivation to work on the car. I've basically only seen it once or twice in the last 3 months. This weekend I went out there and fixed a few small things that needed attention

QwDGlTil.jpg

I was hearing a clunk from my rear-end so I got under there and tightened everything up. Driveshaft is rubbing in the tunnel some, I need to adjust the panhard quite a bit and get the airhammer out.

kDIZ9C5l.jpg

One of the brake lights was out, not sure if this contact was burnt or not before my wiring job. I cleaned it up with some sandpaper and its working now, but I'm gonna buy a new connector ASAP

7EyyIfdl.jpg

Kinda hate this car anymore. I've been looking for a Amazon if anyone wants a janky V8 242

Last edited:
I've been waiting over 2 1/2 years for my rear coil overs and trailing arms to arrive. If they showed up I would send you a set of TME coils.

Hope you get motivated again, it's a cool build.

I've been waiting over 2 1/2 years for my rear coil overs and trailing arms to arrive. If they showed up I would send you a set of TME coils.

Hope you get motivated again, it's a cool build.

Well that is even crazier, sorry about that wait. Mine is partially understandable with the manufacturing/shipping delays from COVID. Some more communication would be nice.

After working on it yesterday and taking it for a short cruise, I'm feeling a bit more motivated. I have Bilstein HDs and springs for the front that I should install, but was really holding out for the coils so I only have to align it once

fCCVJpXl.jpg

Monday morning I went out to the shop to tinker on the 242. Just wanted to tie up some loose ends and things I had noticed. I decided to run down to the DOL and get tabs for it and then took it for a drive. A small 1-mile drive turned into 5-miles and then turned into about 75miles across the whole day.

Theres lots of noise from the rear end, I can't tell if its the diff, driveshaft, or trailing arm bushings. I'm talking to Robert (Culberro) about having him modify an 8.8 for me.

Otherwise, the car drives pretty well. Lots of power, I still haven't given it 100% yet. Had some issues with the tune yesterday, started cutting out under load and going lean. I'm ordering a fuel pressure sensor and fitting so I can monitor fuel pressure and try to get an idea whats going on.

0AxgyBql.jpg

Lol, the leaning out from the other day was lack of gas. All fixed now!

Picked up a black cloth back seat to throw in the back. I really hate how the carpet kit fits in here (both my fault and fault of the kit) so I am debating throwing the factory brown carpet back in

fT2djQKl.jpg

taXgUJsl.jpg

Got a little work done today. The aftermarket carpet kit had been bugging me so I swapped it for a factory brown carpet. Fitment is much better. Installed the rear seat and dashboard as well, which quieted the car down a lot.

I have a couple black gloveboxes, but probably not worth sending them across the country. Redwood Chair can get you one I bet. He sent me one.

I’ve been researching this swap for a while but things like figuring out the fuel system are what hold me back. I have a 4.8 with 4l60e lined up for cheap however, all the small stuff seems to add up in price. The ‘90 wagon I’m planing on swapping was intended to be a parts car but I felt bad taking a clean rust free body off the road. I’m at the point of crap or get off the pot. Either sell it to another enthusiast or build a beater/sleeper.

I?ve been researching this swap for a while but things like figuring out the fuel system are what hold me back. I have a 4.8 with 4l60e lined up for cheap however, all the small stuff seems to add up in price. The ?90 wagon I?m planing on swapping was intended to be a parts car but I felt bad taking a clean rust free body off the road. I?m at the point of crap or get off the pot. Either sell it to another enthusiast or build a beater/sleeper.

The small stuff is what gets you, I've told everyone that the absolute easiest part was getting the engine and trans in the car. Everything afterwards was difficult/expensive.

You can go a cheaper route, if you're just planning on running a stock 4.8 you may even be able to get away with factory fuel lines with an upgraded pump

Back