• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Microsquirt and EZK

CAPT_BLOTTO

#Crush It
I'm having an issue with getting a good coolant temp sensor reading. I get -18? while it should be around 70?. I did overlays, ABA swaps between sensors, and measured the parts directly. After a lot of trouble shooting I found that with the ezk unplugged I get a good reading.

So my question is for MS does EZK just give engine speed output? Does it need a coolant input since MS is now handling ignition? Or is the EZK still handling some with not having COP and the stock distributor.

Or does anyone know what could be causing these issues?

why are you running an EZK in conjuction to muS?

EDIT: I have to urge you to build a new harness from scratch

It will need a coolant temp input. It needs some way of knowing how warm or not the engine is and based off this whether to be in warmup enrichment or not.

if it's a p&p setup, it is getting the rpm from the ezk, and passing ignition out odd that it's doing anything with the coolant temp signal, you could de-pin that wire from the harness at the sensor though

since 2.4 is basically 2 coolant temp sensors in one, only the lh side needs to be hooked up for the ms. it could possibly also be a bad sensor that flakes when both ends are connected eh

It's the pnp setup. I've tried multiple sensors. I've tried two ezk modules. For some reason the EZK is making that sensor not work.
It's a 2 pin sensor. I have the blue red signal going to the stock wiring harness. It splits off and goes to the EZK and ecu connector. I've verified this. I ran an overlay from the other pin to the signal ground coming off the Ms harness. Just to try and rule out ground issues.

It sounds like your sensor isn't wired correctly.

The 2-pin LH2.4 sensor is actually 2 separate sensors in one body. One pin connects to the EZK, the other pin connects to the ECU, and the threaded body of the sensor provides a block ground connection for each. The identical looking 2-pin LH2.2 sensor is only one sensor, connected pin-to-pin with no connection to ground.

You should have 2 separate blue-red wires coming off the sensor. If they're tied together, then plugging or unplugging the EZK will change the temperature seen by the ECU (or MS in this case).

you can't just swap ezk modules unless you duplicated what I modified inside it (which isn't hard, just saying)

So something like this?

EZ116K Modifications
You can either use MegaSquirt/MicroSquirt to decode the 60-2 tooth flywheel, or use a slightly modified EZK to provide a pulse per cylinder. Both options are described below. (There's a thread somewhere from a couple years ago on getting MicroSquirt 60-2 wheel decode to work reliably at higher RPM.)

To modify the EZK box for 60-2 decoding:
1) Spark control: inside the box, clip a small section out of pin EZK-16 Spark to ign module and EZK-8 Load/Tq. Wire connector sides of EZK-16 to EZK-8. This reuses the original LH2.4-25 to EZK-8 Load/Tq wire for spark from uS/MS.
2) TPS idle: if you're changing to a variable resistance TPS, clip a section out of pin EZK-7 TPS Idle switch.
3) CEL: to prevent EZK from turning on the CEL, clip a section out of pin EZK-3 CEL.

Alternate Wiring without EZK box:
If you want to wire the CPS directly to MegaSquirt/MicroSquirt, without a modified EZK box, you'll still need a EZK connector from a scrap EZK box. The wiring is:
1) EZK-10 CPS VR sensor- to uS-32 VR1+ or MS-1 SGND [The uS Hardware Manual shows sensor- to VR+ pin, and sensor+ to VR-, so we'll use the same here.]
2) EZK-23 CPS VR sensor+ to uS-33 VR1- or MS-24 TACH_IN
3) EZK-11 CPS sensor shield to uS-20 SGND or MS-2 SGND
4) EZK-16 spark to ign module (ttl level) from uS-12 SPK_A or MS-36 IGN (JS-10)

you'd probably have to see how the one I sent with your setup is done, for a long time I made them in pairs

you can however, reverse engineer how it was done by looking at the interconnect wires on the lh connector. if you shoot me a picture I'll tell you what it needs to be

Those "EZ116K Modifications" are from one of my old posts. I don't know if anyone ever followed those instructions completely and successfully -- I decided to stay with LH2.4 once I figured out how to get a good VSS signal without needing to swap rear axles/consoles. I'm sure they're somewhat different than linuxman51's PNP kits.

Those instructions use the standard once-per-cylinder EZK-to-ECU RPM signal as the MS crank position input. With a MicroSquirt, I think Kenny has had success using the filtered 60-2 signal from within the EZK box to send to the MicroSquirt. I'm pretty sure that the same scheme won't work with a MegaSquirt-II due to the difference in crank decoder circuits.

Back