home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 11-22-2020, 05:37 PM   #1
Emile Fortin

Post My ongoing redblock story. (+CD009, AQ151B stroked/forged, 16V setup)

Evening,

I wanted to document my ongoing build but I have to say, I dont really know where to start. I guess I should start from the very beginning.

I am writing this on November 11th 2020, I am 20 years old, but the first time I owned something Volvo was more than three years ago. I was 16 years old, turned 17 in September and would get my drivers licence in December. I wanted a sweet ride to learn everything car related, a project that I would daily. And so, in October 2017, I was given an old engine by my brother, destined for the wrecker. The goal was building two redblocks side by side, him teaching me everything, while he taught himself everything at the same time. He was building a 16V b230, as for myself, I was given a B23E canadian block. These engines are special as they have a compression ratio of 10:1 instead of 9:1 and don't have the holes to put an LH2.4 crank position sensor in the back. I had no idea what I was doing at time, so I didn't even bother looking at all the crank and rod bearings condition. The goal was to get a M46 behind the «rebuilt» block, turbo the thing and run LH2.4 and EZK116 stock ecu, and find myself a shell once I would have my licence. Slowly during winter my brother and I built our engines, dropped a K cam in the head and slightly ported the intake inlets. Finally, at my surprise, I would end up owning my brother's old 940 wagon shell for 500$ that I never ended up paying him. When summer came, we opened up the garage door and started swapping our engines in our shells.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

By the time we had everything in the car, fluids filled up and everything double checked, we started the car, waited for it to reach operating temp, and started rolling around. It was 9 at night by that point, the car had been on the road for 30 minutes. Suddenly, the cam seized and timing belt snapped. Something was f*cked. We pulled it back home and a friend of mine and I swapped the head with a bone stock tired one I had around just to be able to have the car the next morning. It took us 2 hours, reusing head gasket and head studs, but we finally came about swapping heads and turned the key again. After 5 minutes it started making weird noises and decided to let it sleep for the night. The next morning my brother wakes me up saying he found the issue. It turns out I was 17 years old and did not know you needed a gear for the oil pump beneath the accessory shaft. Thus, the car ran more than 30 minutes without the slightest oil pressure. We ended up putting a gear in there, and I am still dailying this engine to this day.

[IMG][/IMG]

I later found out that this engine used to be the race car engine of a fellow here in Sherbrooke, Quebec called Normand Raymond, who raced it in the states in a 240 «stock car» racing and ended up being disqualified when people found out it was a B23E and had an advantage because of the compression ratio. The engine later went to sit in a garage for a few years, then was given to a fellow turbobricker who had it in the boot of his 740 for a whole winter, before ending up in my garage when it was given to me. So to recap, the engine is a 1986ish, raced a long time ago, then spent years in a corner somewhere, then a winter in the boot of a car, then ran 30 minutes without oil, and three years later I am still using this engine everyday on my daily commute as it is my only car.

Side story, one night I was out drifting with a mate and I used to rock cutted springs. We were in a Tim Hortons taking a break and when we took off, my front right spring fell of it's perch and pierced through my tire, locking the wheel. We then ended up sending it to Canadian Tire, where they couldn't even get the spring back on the perch. I towed the car home and about 2 mintues after getting it in the garage, the spring was back on it's perch and we ended up welding the springs there. It was a temporary solution as I ordered IPD springs for a permanent replacement.

[IMG][/IMG]

Once I started fidling about with boost controller I accidentally pumped 35 pounds of boost for a pull as the wastegate hose came loose, and it took it like nothing ever happened. I also ended up rebuilding the head I blew the first day this car came alive with scotch bright, wd-40 and wet sanding the surfaces and hoping for the best. I have been running this head for 2 years now. After a year or so of doing stupid things with my car (as all 17-18 year olds do with a RWD car) it caught fire over my legs while driving. It was an electrical fire due to an engine ground that cam loose and the starter grounded itself through all the small wires in the dash, and it caught fire after 15 minutes of driving and noticing nothing. I had done brakes, ipd springs and new shocks, link kit and new tie rods to the shell, so I ended up picking everything out of this car and reusing it on my next shell.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

In fact, during the winter of 2018-2019, I found myself searching for a new shell to put all my parts in. I stumbled upon a grey 1992 940 GLE sedan.

[IMG][/IMG]

It blew the timing belt so being 16V the head blew up. I managed to get the car for cheap and it came with everything needed for a 16V head swap except machined pistons. It took about two weeks for my car to catch fire to the day my turbo'd B23E and m46 where sitting in the new shell, my suspension had been switched to my old setup and the brakes were redone while being full time at school. At about the same time, my older brother blew his M46 so we ended up buying two CD009 to a local drifter, one for his car, and one for mine as I thought my tranny would blow soon.

[IMG][/IMG]

I kept using the car as a daily, waiting for something to break to upgrade it. Then one day I receive a message from a fellow volvo builder, who had for sale an AQ151B, stroked 2,5L, forged crank penta engine for sale, for very cheap. I immediately sealed the deal and started gathering parts. It was official, I was over doing stupid sh*t to my car, I want it to be a clean build, to look good driving it. I slowly gathered parts for it. Until the day finally came, this summer (2020), I finally blew the transmission. I needed a custom clutch to fit the CD009 but because of covid, the chaps who would build my clutch stopped making custom car clutches for a while, so I started searching and found out that a nissan ka24de clutch disc is exactly the same dimensions as a stock b230 clutch disc, but with the correct input shaft spline. I ended up using a rockauto 30 bucks ka24de clutch disc with my old unsurfaced flywheel and pressure plate, knowing I needed to take the engine out another time later this year to swap my stroker in and thus, upgrading the clutch at the same time. The driveshaft is a two piece custom driveshaft. The clutch is still cable activated. The transmission is mated to a factory m46 bell housing thanks to deework's adaptor plate.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

The cross member is 100% custom fabricated with scraps I had lying around here. I am using the GKtech short shifter.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The car feels amazing with the cd009 in it. While I had everything out of the car, I decided to slap on a pretty big ebay turbo and try it out. The turbo costed me 200$, shipped at my door. I had the stock turbo manifold machined flat and opened the turbo flange with a Dremel. The downpipe is 100% stainless, made by my brother and I (tig welded by my brother), and the rest of the exhaust is all v-band with a cat, resonator and muffler to stay as low key as possible.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The brakes started to feel weird so I ended up redoing them, while my friend was rebuilding my rocker (winter made a huge rust hole). I had seized calipers in the back (3 pistons out of 4) and 2 seized guide pin in the front (1 on each side.) The brakes were literally 2 years old (done on the wagon, the previous shell). I also had made braided stainless steel brake hoses while at it.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The rocker was fixed and looking good again, so I started work on the stroker.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The engine was cleaned and resurfaced locally, my 16V head was given new valves and valve seats were redone. The head fully cleaned and resurface. I live 15 minutes from Deeworks, so I asked him to machine my AQ151 pistons to have the 16V relief grooves. I have a set of forged rods for the engine, volkswagen 1,8L hydraulic lifters for the head and ford 4.6L valve springs.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I polished the crank's journals so they are smooth and shiny again. Changed all bearings in the block and plastigauge everything. And this is were I am at it now. I just installed the crank, rods and pistons in. I am waiting to reassemble the head and mate it to it's engine. I have a megasquirt waiting in my bedroom to go make some decent power on the local dyno. Here is a summer configuration, on skyline r32 wheels, and the winter configuration to haul boards and skis.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

So I think this just about sums it up for now. I will keep editing this thread as the build progresses through the years. The drivetrain will probably end up in another shell in the next few years like an E21, or a 242, which ever comes first. Thanks for reading my redblock story.

Last edited by Emile Fortin; 11-22-2020 at 07:03 PM..
Emile Fortin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:46 AM   #2
jeremie810

Your block is an 81 and it spent a year in the trunk of a Pontiac Parisienne, funny story; the quarter got smashed, but from the inside while sending it in the snow lol.
jeremie810 is offline   Reply With Quote