• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Gear box

initialD

Whats the diference between M46 type J and M46 tipe P ???

I sawmp the P to a J type and i don?t have overdrive :(

Type P is the overdrive on an 86+ M46, and it is known to be stronger and more reliable than the earlier type J.

The chances are the M46 you swapped in has a bad overdrive/solenoid. I would check your wiring. If you're certain it's installed correctly, remove that M46, and go get another transmission from an 86+.

IMO it's not remotely worth it. Go m47, or just swap in the whole other M46 trans. But if you feel the need I do believe they swap over.

I'd need John Lane, or another Volvo transmission guru to verify that.

OP you could have no overdrive operation for any of the perfectly good reasons that a Laycock overdrive doesn't work.

Start with..... Is it full of Clean ATF?
When you turn on the overdrive in fourth does it make the solenoid on the overdrive click?

More often then not the issue is electrical..... Be it in the wiring to the shifter, the relay in later cars, a fourth gear switch or crummy connections anywhere..... including the fusebox. Overdrive shares it's power in the fusebox with Rear Demist :omg: .....

So you've got a few things to check.

Mechanical? Didja replace the whole box? Did the Overdrive work in the previous car? If so what did you do to it that it is now Junk? Has to be your fault! You're the mechanic! Yer all like that!

Don't mean to thread jack, but are they interchangable? Mean could I put the an '86 240 OD onto an '82 240? Both M46

Late M-46 with the P-Type overdrive uses a bigger mainshaft that won't break at the start line so those of us with that box will then break gears in the box when it makes traction!

With enough effort yes, you could put a P-Type in place of a J-Type overdrive but it is a lot of effort at putting a really ugly color of lipstick onto a dirty pig.

I suggest locating a complete M-46 with a P-Type that is in working order or repairing what you've got if you're not up for replacing the M-46 for a transmission that will take some abuse.

reason I ask is because of the tailshaft flange sizes, the '82 small and the '86 wider.

The bigger flange is for the driveshaft with three 'Large' U-Joints that don't have to be replaced every other year. If you've found one that is in good shape that is the right length for your car grab it and the flanges as fitting and put it in the car for a better driveshaft.

Last edited:
The solonoide is working fine e Put band new oil 80W-90 i think it?s what volvo recomend i bought it there it said on the back For M46 and M47 etc...

Ill try to take the OV from the type P and put it at type J gearbox...

That gearbox should not have 80-90 in it. ATF is the fluid that Volvo called for. There are threads here as to which is everyone's favorite.

If you've run it with 80-90 in it you may have blown up O-rings or worse in the overdrive. Change the oil first and hope for the best.

OP you could have no overdrive operation for any of the perfectly good reasons that a Laycock overdrive doesn't work.

Start with..... Is it full of Clean ATF?
When you turn on the overdrive in fourth does it make the solenoid on the overdrive click?

More often then not the issue is electrical..... Be it in the wiring to the shifter, the relay in later cars, a fourth gear switch or crummy connections anywhere..... including the fusebox. Overdrive shares it's power in the fusebox with Rear Demist :omg: .....

So you've got a few things to check.

Mechanical? Didja replace the whole box? Did the Overdrive work in the previous car? If so what did you do to it that it is now Junk? Has to be your fault! You're the mechanic! Yer all like that!

Late M-46 with the P-Type overdrive uses a bigger mainshaft that won't break at the start line so those of us with that box will then break gears in the box when it makes traction!

With enough effort yes, you could put a P-Type in place of a J-Type overdrive but it is a lot of effort at putting a really ugly color of lipstick onto a dirty pig.

I suggest locating a complete M-46 with a P-Type that is in working order or repairing what you've got if you're not up for replacing the M-46 for a transmission that will take some abuse.

The bigger flange is for the driveshaft with three 'Large' U-Joints that don't have to be replaced every other year. If you've found one that is in good shape that is the right length for your car grab it and the flanges as fitting and put it in the car for a better driveshaft.

So in other words, I could just pull and swap the tailshaft flange and driveshaft instead? The two sizes of flange are interchangable? :)

So in other words, I could just pull and swap the tailshaft flange and driveshaft instead? The two sizes of flange are interchangable? :)

On an M-46 the 'small' and 'large' flanges are interchangeable so long as they are for a J-Type overdrive. The P-Type only got the 'Large' or 'Guibo' flanges.

I call shens on this thread.

Bit of a thread-Jack but no shens.

Negative shens.

My car survived 80/90 in the M46 for 3k miles before swapping to ATF. Worked fine with ATF for another 20k miles before I pulled it.

Back