• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Batou, the 850R

BDKR

Section 9
As some know from this thread, I stumbled onto an 850R while I was looking for something to replace the BMW with. And, in keeping with my pattern of naming cars after anime characters, this one is Batou from GITS SAC.

So far, the only pics I have are the two I put up on FB. Here is one.

10393785_937206419644471_6266501406151964430_n.jpg

The car is a missle and runs pretty damn good. Not as good as brand new I'm sure, but not at all bad either. Still strong as hell! There are some issues however and the paint is a big one. Don't know if you can see from the pic, but the clear coat on the top appears to be gone. Even stranger, it looks like it was deliberately removed. Why someone would want this I don't know. :roll:

Some more bad things? Hmmm....

• Vibrates or buzzes while at a light in gear (might be those poly mounts) :lol:
  • Feels like the rotors have a glaze on them
  • The exhaust drones around 2 to 2.5K
  • The stereo sounds like there is a bit of static in it
  • Did I mention the knackered paint
  • One of the PO's painted the calipers and it doesn't really look that good
  • Lookes like the wheels where painted since it seems to be chipping of in places.
  • Dash cover (the bit across the top) looks like it's warped from sitting in the heat
  • Some dash lights are out
  • Starts kind of hard at times

Now the strangest thing so far is that the OBDII port is non-standard! :wtf: Same physical design, different pinout! Thanx Volvo!

I have one of these...
sku_132202_1.jpg

It connects to the BMW and Fozzy just fine. I've used it to see and clear codes and via Torque I can get real time data and data logging to an Android device.

torque-app.png

I want to use it this to monitor boost and get the gauges virtually right to a 7" device instead of installing more gauges.

So what do I want to do?
  • Lower it! I feel like I'm in a truck!
  • Mo powah! I'll prolly go the IPD reflash route
  • And fix the issues listed above

One of the earliest non-mechanical things that has to be done is the stereo. I take it that's a double din hole there?

The R should have a 4x100 amp behind the ash tray, awesome amp, might have some noise getting into it from the deck. I've been running a BAFX ELM327 and torque on the wife's R for a couple years, no issues at all. The pinout should be the same as that's a federally mandated standard.

I've been running a BAFX ELM327 and torque on the wife's R for a couple years, no issues at all. The pinout should be the same as that's a federally mandated standard.

This thread here is where I started.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=175535

From above thread said:
96 850 have an OBD Port which is non OBD compliant. The motor ECU is located on pin 3 , ECC is 6, 13 for cruise. Standard pin for the "normal" readers is 7.

On 850 on pin 7 is located automatic trans, ABS, SRS, instrument cluster, power seats.

A very interesting thing is mentioned later in that post. BrickDiag! I've done just a little digging here and it's a bit of a rabbit hole.

This is another I found with more in depth information concerning the OBD2 issues. Seems it's only '96.

What I would like to do, if possible, is translate the non-standard pin-out to standard one via male and female OBD2 ports and some wire of course. But reading something in the above link has me wondering if it's possible. I'll re-read it again at a later point.

The R should have a 4x100 amp behind the ash tray, awesome amp, might have some noise getting into it from the deck.

Thanx for the info! :)

Not quite sure I buy into it as the wiring is a mandated standard. Look in the connector, see if you have a wire in pin 7? The wife's car is a12/95 car, stock wiring, and the elm and every other code reader or scan tool I have used works fine, but only for power train stuff.

Same thing applies to the sis in laws 96 850na.

Didn't get to do too much on any Volvo's today other then look. The brakes on the Fozzy were crap so I had to get those taken care of.

But what I've found from just casual inspection is that we have Bilsteins at all 4 corners, and a TME cat back 2.5 inch system. Funny that TME says there is no drone from their system. It drones like a mofo between 2 and 2.5K. :lol:

Still inspecting and driving. Plans so far are primarily maintenance. Can't find a timing belt sticker so I'm assuming I need a timing belt. Will also remove the poly top mount and look into replace the rest of the mounts as well. Brakes seem to be suffering from the same thing the Fozzy was. Glazed rotors and possible pad contamination. We put new pads on the Fozzy, cleaned everything, and sanded the rotors with 80 grit paper. Amazing difference! I'm going to repeat this on the 850 and chuck in some EBC green stuff pads as well.

There are 4 or 5 different bulbs inside that need replacing and digital portion of the dash doesn't light up when the lights are on.

May also need front seals. My feeling is that if I'm going in their to replace the timing belt it might just be time to knock out those seals as well.

Oh.... I noticed there is a boost control solenoid. If I wanted to add 2 extra pounds it would seem that's the place to do it right? Between the solenoid and wg actuator. I noticed the flashed ECU's from IPD only add 2 more lbs. Is that 2 lbs really so dangerous that we can't just do that with an MBC? Or does the ECU have no headroom (or something) for the extra flow?

You won't be able to monitor boost with the Torque app on the 850. It works on my S40, but not the 850.

You won't be able to monitor boost with the Torque app on the 850. It works on my S40, but not the 850.

Yeah, I figured that out. Did you see the links I posted above. Seems like a PITA all the way around.

I don't mind putting in a real gauge. ;-)

Back