home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 05-19-2021, 11:07 PM   #1
vegiguy
Board Member

Default 240 T5 swap clutch fork question

What do most folks do to make the 240 clutch fork fit the Ford throw-out bearing? To me it looks like there are two options; 1) grind down the pegs inside the opening of the Volvo clutch fork slightly (to make them shorter) and make some square spacers to go over the pegs to take up the slack between the pegs and where they need to go in the throw-out bearing, or 2) cut the ends off of both the Volvo fork and a T5 Ford fork and weld the ends of the Volvo fork onto the center of the Ford fork, if it's possible to do this and get everything to line up properly. Option number two would allow the Ford throw-out bearing to operate the way Ford designed it to, if that matters. Option one might be simpler to do, especially if there are already ready made spacers available for this.

If the spacer option is the better one what is the best material to make them out of for the best wear characteristics?

Thanks for any help with this.
vegiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 11:10 PM   #2
James M
Bored member

Going behind a redblock?

The Deeworks kit uses the Volvo TOB and the BNE kit uses block spacers that he sells
James M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 11:20 PM   #3
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

There's also this option, which is really nice when using a stiffer pressure plate:
https://yoshifab.com/store/t5-conver...o-bearing.html
Old 05-20-2021, 02:22 PM   #4
miguels244
I can automate that.

A few people make things like this...
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-t...-bearing/28841

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
But at the very least, when your rhetoric matches up so neatly with the actions of a deeply deranged individual, it should give you some reason to rethink what you're saying, and how you're saying it.
As gun owner and firearms enthusiast, I will not sacrifice our sons, daughters, fathers, mothers, friends and lovers on the bloody Altar the NRA has built.
It's time to sane up.
miguels244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:28 PM   #5
vegiguy
Board Member

Sorry I forgot to mention it's going behind a red block with my adapter plate.

I wish I would have seen the Yoshifab TO bearing before I bought my extended Ford bearing because that looks like the best option. I may have to get that and sell the one I have.

The hydraulic setup looks cool, too. I wonder what it would take to set that up (cost-wise and tracking down parts).

I'm just trying to keep it as simple as I can so I can get it done once. I have a tendency to get carried away with these kinds of projects and then I never get them done. This whole thing started with just doing a clutch replacement. Next thing you know I'm swapping out the whole gearbox.
Old 05-21-2021, 12:58 AM   #6
VB242
Beep beep zip tang

Bneshop.com should have the little square adaptors, I got those from Ben with his other T5 swap stuff. Edit: Or maybe he doesn't do clutch stuff anymore as it's not on the website that I can see.
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:21 AM   #7
vegiguy
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
Bneshop.com should have the little square adaptors, I got those from Ben with his other T5 swap stuff. Edit: Or maybe he doesn't do clutch stuff anymore as it's not on the website that I can see.
I couldn't see just the fork adapters, either, from them. I thought you probably had to buy a kit with the adapter plate to get them.
Old 05-23-2021, 01:49 AM   #8
vegiguy
Board Member

I think I'll just make some spacers out of mild steel bar stock. It can't be any worse than the cheesy arrangement Volvo had for the clutch fork. If I lube it with red grease it should last until the next clutch job.

The other material i was thinking of using for the spacers was brass since brass seems to wear well against steel, at least from what I've heard.
Old 05-23-2021, 03:16 AM   #9
carver
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegiguy View Post
I couldn't see just the fork adapters, either, from them. I thought you probably had to buy a kit with the adapter plate to get them.
Not super obvious. They're listed under the adapter plate page, use the pull down menu to select. $30.00 if I recall.
carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:56 AM   #10
740atl
FP4>HP5>TRIX

the Tilton hydraulic tob is the sex... have you checked here yet? http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=357178

If you're hesitant because of the cost, the end results are so worth it. I'll never go back to a cable actuated clutch again.
740atl is offline   Reply With Quote