home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 01-29-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
autoloclys
Board Member

Default airbox/filter for +T

Pertaining to doing a +T in a 240 wagon, LH2.4. Going to be +T'd with an intercooler

What is the best way to do an airbox or filter for the finished conversion? I've done a fair bit of searching and cant find a clear answer. I see in most engine bay pics folks running conical filters on the end of the AMM and tucking it in near the washer bottle. I found some other post that mentioned using a modified airbox from a turbo car, either a 7xx or 9xx or a K-jet box with bits removed.

If the conical filter is the best setup, can someone point me at a recommended brand with the best flow/surface area?

thanks
autoloclys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:22 PM   #2
VB242
Beep beep zip tang

I made a 7xx turbo air box fit but it took wire a bit of heating with the fire wrench and squishing the back of the box in. I drilled a big hole in the inner fender that feeds the air box to suck in cool outside air. Also the water bottle went in the trunk.
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:29 PM   #3
Jack
junkman

240 diesel air box

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul buck View Post
I love you even more Jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Don’t bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
I expect nothing less from an incel like you, Jack.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:41 PM   #4
Wren
Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
240 diesel air box won't work with a stock 240 intercooler.
FTFY

OP: Interestingly enough, Volvo actually made an airbox that fits perfectly in a 240 because, you guessed it, it was made to go in a 240!

Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:54 PM   #5
autoloclys
Board Member

Given that a Kjet airbox is getting to be on the scarce side. Is there good reason to do this over the conical pod filters in the same location that seem pretty common on +T's i can find online?

I was hoping to avoid creating another thread of people just snarkily stating preferences, honestly those are easy to find. If the Kjet airbox is the best option, why?
autoloclys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:00 PM   #6
Wren
Porkchop Sandwiches

They're not scarce. You could have one by the end of the week if you wanted one. You might have to pay more than $5.95 shipped as is the usual T'bricks way, but nevertheless they are out there. In fact, I have 5 in my stash.

It's the best option because conical filters are ghetto. 740 turbo airbox is an option, but is about 100X more work.
Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:32 PM   #7
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Another Swedish option.... use the SAAB 900 air filter housing & buy the MANN filter it uses. Much more surface area than the diesel box. My son used this on his 245 B230FT and I was honestly surprised how well it fit. You can clock the top of the air box/cylindrical lid... and the AMM attached directly to it. Functional, hell yes, he's been rocking it for coming up on 2 years now without issue.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:01 PM   #8
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

^^interesting...have any pics of that setup?

|Feedback|
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:10 PM   #9
white855T
Board Member

Modified kjet turbo box is the best way to. I didn't like the cobra head so I just used aluminum piping(I didn't take picture of finished box but you get the idea).

white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:14 PM   #10
aristg
El Greco Capitano

Kjet airbox is good for about 250-300 whp when not being opened up (but having all the stuff below it removed) and combined with a free flow filter. Also is very nice for using it for cold air intake.

However this cobra snorkel is hurting your pride, while as i had somewhere read somewhere, it it steals about 17hp from the engine due to its design.

In my project i had an adapter made, to get rid the cobra snorkel, and fit it on my 3' turbo inlet @ stock position.

[/url]

Last edited by aristg; 06-03-2021 at 03:25 AM.. Reason: pic link
aristg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:25 AM   #11
Trevor57
Board Member

I never care much about keeping a factory look, so I would just buy whatever cone filter fits from summit. I have a feeling that you will not notice any performance difference regardless of what you end up going with.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:23 AM   #12
K9 240
Board Member

I moved the washer bottle to the rear with my battery. Cut a big hole with a circular saw where the washer bottle used to be & ran the 3" tubing from the turbo/AMM through the hole to the void in front of the front wheel. Put the biggest air filter I could find on the end of the pipe & covered the bottom of the void with a grill from an old cooker filter.
K9 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:46 PM   #13
Wessideg

Wren- Can you tell me the part number for the diesel air filter housing? I can't read it in you photos. If you have one you want to sell, let mw know!
-Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wren View Post
They're not scarce. You could have one by the end of the week if you wanted one. You might have to pay more than $5.95 shipped as is the usual T'bricks way, but nevertheless they are out there. In fact, I have 5 in my stash.

It's the best option because conical filters are ghetto. 740 turbo airbox is an option, but is about 100X more work.