• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Who has run a VX3 cam on a turbo engine?

Also, the reason for less intake duration is to close that valve a little earlier and get some low-speed squeeze started earlier. Towing grinds are split a lot of the time.

Possible reason for Simon?s better ET on the milder cam: better launch, or maybe outside changes like humidity.

I?d listen to the voice of experience. Linuxman knows more than most on here. I?d just try them all and see what you like. Or trade them all for an ipd turbo cam and call it a day. But that?s only talking from my own experience and what I like. What size turbo? What supporting mods you plan on running might help guys steer you in the right direction.

I've been in this group since 2008. i know damn well who Kenny is which is one of the reasons I came here to ask my question.

I assumed correctly. If you owned a dyno you would have bragged about it already.
And mine was a light-hearted comment, i don?t often feel the need to check/correct/?pwn? someone.
Project silly attitude, win silly prizes.
Good luck with your vx3.

You sound like an idiot again. Why would I come in here and brag about my access to a dyno? I never said I own one. My shop neighbor does and I have full access to it whenever I want. The fact of the matter is that I came in here to ask why people don't like the cam and except for a few guys I get a bunch of idiotic keyboard warrior replies.
What in the hell happened to this group. we used to be a bunch of Volvo enthusiasts who helped eachother because we realize our cars are somewhat obscure and we are a fairly small community. Now it seems to be infected with smartass keyboard warriors.
Times like this make me really miss guys like Tricmick

https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=342490

KLR142 seemed to make some good observations in the above link.

https://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~amh110/Camshaft/volvo_camshafts.htm

The above link has pictures of the IPD turbo cam vs the VX3.

As you can see- the "tip" of the cam at max lift on the VX3 is a lot less pointy than the IPD cam. This longer duration in this case correlates to some valve overlap.

From what I understand, this is not good a turbo engine. Overlap is beneficial in NA engines as the overlap allows for exhaust scavenging, whereas turbo engines
want all of the exhaust gas to be pushed through the turbo, and not reverted out the intake ports.

However, even some overlap is inevitable if the cam is being used to utilise the engine's power at high RPMs.

One thing to keep in mind when doing porting work is that you do not want the cross sectional areas of your runners to be so large that you lose any hope of having
the correct gas velocities- this can actually reduce the volumetric efficiency of the engine.

Regarding larger valves- one of the better mods that can be done is to deshroud the valves instead of increasing their diameter. This promotes better flow than simply enlarging the valve and not doing as much work to the bowl itself.

I'm sure people with more experience than I can chime in- but this should be a good starting point

It's not so bad to change cams out, if you have it, you could slap it in and give it a try? Isn't the VX3 considered one of the least aggressive emissions cams?

If you?re wanting to be quick for cheap, don?t do bigger valves. The gain isn?t there if they?re just dropped in, and it?s only there if you do a bunch of porting and unshrouding to go along with them. But that?s not going to bring you a ton of power by itself.

I would suggest investing in a better turbo, an IPD turbo cam or similar, mild port with and unshrouding.

Also, what trans are you doing? Because that?s probably going to be the limiting factor once you start making more power.

no need to get worked up. which model did your neighbor go with? I love my dynocom (1800ix, basically the 15000 series before it was renamed)

I didnt call anyone an idiot. I said their comments are idiotic. there is a difference.

The difference between the two is a hair's width. So, either cool it altogether, or, you will have a few days to become enlightened as to what we expect on the forums.

Last edited:
so for a 2k build... skip the cam, get a 16t or a t3-60 trim, exhaust, engine management, and bigger bigger fuel injectors. if you still have some space left over in the performance budget, consider a better (not ebay-those are hot garbage as well, even on 170hp low boost setups) intercooler. the rest of your money and time should be spent doing things like brakes, suspension, the sorts of things that will help on the auto-x part of the competition, because you're not going to make waves with a nearly stock 8v for the drag race part of the event.

I am more of a drag racer at heart. I will play with some cams when I get the car put together. I'm more concerned with what trans I'm going to use. To run a manual If I make any real power I will need an SFI flywheel, which is unobtainium for a redblock. If I make plates to run the TH400 I have in the corner It will destroy my auto x times. talking with my transmission shop buddy to see if he has any of the jeep or diesel trans parts laying around to get the AW71 to last for an event. he has been in buisness for 30 years and has a loft full of NOS trans parts that I can comendeer

Well, it's good to see that I sound like an idiot but I'm not one.
And you complain that everyone else must be the change you see in turbobricks.
Party on.

Well, it's good to see that I sound like an idiot but I'm not one.
And you complain that everyone else must be the change you see in turbobricks.
Party on.

You came into a thread that has a legitimate question and made an irrelevant comment and offered nothing constructive. That seems to be the new norm in TB. Again, I miss Trickmick and the days long passed. Well, I don't miss John V

Really? The T cam is so friggin aweful. I just don't see what makes the VX3 so bad. I do have a B cam I could try.

The T cam is great for an automatic DD. I tried the A and K cams with an adjustable cam gear and ended up throwing the T back in.

Back