• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Alternator questions '93 244

volvo245kit

Okay so I'm putting this '93 244 together for my daughter's first car. I don't know any of the history of the alternator and took it to a local alternator shop to have it checked out and torn down to see what the serviceability is. The guy calls me back today and tells me that the armature is worn down and the alternator needs a total rebuild. He also tells me that if he puts new brushes in it that I might get another year out of it. I ask him what it would cost for a rebuild and he tells me that it would be around $225. I tell him that I can buy a new one for that much. I then tell him to put it together without putting anymore money into it. Right now I'm trying to figure out the best option for me as I'm on a budget with this project. I really don't want to deal with this again next year. I do have a couple of alternators from '84 240 parts cars that I have that I could possibly get rebuilt. Should I upgrade to 100A at this time or should I just get a new 80A (or rebuilt) unit? If I do go the rebuilt route, who's reputable that I should get it from? I don't have any excessive electrical needs that would dictate me to upgrade to the 100A option. Sorry for the long post or if it sounds like I'm rambling on here but I just type what's coming to mind as it gets there. Thanks in advance.

Well that all depends, do you plan on putting under glow on it? How bout a banging 5000 watt stereo? 10 rally lights? If you answered no to all of these then an 80 amp (or even a 70) should work fine for you. I've never had one rebuilt but I guess i've never needed to. I'd probably take the one from your parts car, throw some new brushes and a new voltage regulator (I'd use this one http://www.davebarton.com/AdjustableVoltage.html) and call it a day. You can buy a lot of used junkyard 70-80 amp volvo alts for $250, though I guess it also comes down to what your time is worth

80 or 100, either one can be had for cheap on the forums. I think the 80s go for ~30 and the 100s for ~50 shipped? I have a known good 80 sitting in my garage you could have, just needs a good cleaning.

BTW, brushes last way more than a year.

Was it working when on the car?

An alternator that is used will all have brush wear, slip ring wear and bearing wear.

If defective it could have a shorted winding, shorted or open diodes and a defective regulator as well.

The brushes can be checked to see if they have not worn to far with no time at all.

If it is not broke, do not fix it!

Measure the voltage across the alt. case and the output post while the engine is running with the lights on and blower on high for a basic test.

Update: I was told that the 85 and newer ones are different than the older ones. Can I use the older ones or not? If not, then who do you all recommend online for a rebuilt or new unit that's the best for the money?

Back