• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

b230FT/aw71 from 940 into 240

mschultz373

My 94 940T got wrecked pretty bad last month after I got rear-ended on the hwy, so i figured- why not swap the engine and trans into my 85 240?

so I'm wanting to plan out the swaps and have a few questions:

- will the LH2.4/EZK boxes work with the 240 fuse block? is there any special considerations wiring the computers up?
- is there any issue with using the stock 240 diff? I know the 940 locking diff would perform better, but my understanding is that, to use the 940 diff, I'd have to do cutting on the 240 rear axle to make it work?
- i assume the brake calipers/rotors will swap from 940? i don't know the specs but they appear larger and would provide more stopping power than the stock 240 brakes

if anyone's done this before, any other tips/insights/considerations would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Not enough information. What year is the 240? No, the brakes will not swap over. At least not the front brakes. The rear brakes would not be an upgrade as they use the same rotor and the caliper is almost the same, just missing the gas tank anti-crush stop.

You can piece the 940 engine wiring together into the 85 240 but it's gonna be a pain.

This'll sound a bit nutty, but if you find your local junkyard and pull the engine wiring harness from 1989-later 240. If you're careful, you can have the entire harness out in 20 minutes... more if it's the 1st time. This harness has connections to all the lh2.4 sensors, etc. you'll be taking from the 940 in one complete wiring package all the way back to the fuel and ignition computers (which you'll also be taking from the 940. It's been a long time but the 240 lh harness terminates with the fuel pump relay and a nine-pin connector... If you locate the engine wiring diagram for a 240 you'll find the pinouts... obviously 12v constant/12v switched, ground and a few other things. This thread has more info. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=230687&page=2

Your fuel/ignition system on the 85 240 is not compatible with any of the 940 stuff except maybe the throttle position switch and possibly oxygen sensor.

85 240 w/ Lh2.2 and Chrysler ignition.

wanting to swap engine, trans and computers + harnesses from 94 940T, LH2.4 and EZK.

I see it now. The easiest solution is to buy a 1989-1992 240 engine harness and swap that in. Then, either add the resistor pack from your 940 or run hi impedance injectors. Don't even attempt to use the 940 harness or you will be tearing your hair out trying to connect the fuel and ignition sides of the harness. Using the later LH 2.4 240 harness is nearly plug and play.

I see it now. The easiest solution is to buy a 1989-1992 240 engine harness and swap that in. Then, either add the resistor pack from your 940 or run hi impedance injectors. Don't even attempt to use the 940 harness or you will be tearing your hair out trying to connect the fuel and ignition sides of the harness. Using the later LH 2.4 240 harness is nearly plug and play.

thanks for the heads up on that.

i have a set of blue giants I was planning to use in the 940 so that's even better - they should drop in with the 240 LH2.4 harness.

coming back with one more question...

I plan to hoist the engine/trans out together. The two anchor points, as I understand, are the thermostat housing and the intake manifold between runners 3 and 4. Right?

You can always just use a rope or a section of cut seatbelt and tie it to an intake and an exhaust runner. Junkyard style.

would a 1000lb stand be sufficient for the engine/trans?

Wondering what is best way to 'set' the engine/trans from the 940 while I pull the 240 engine/trans.

Is there enough space for the 940 dizzy to fit in the 240?
If not you would need to install the 240 dizzy in the 940 block. No idea if the 940 block has a useable auxilary shaft to drive that dizzy. If not you would need to swap that over as well. And because you might need the 940 dizzy to be removed (to make the 940 block fit the space in the 240 engine bay) you would also need to plug that hole on the back of the 940 head.

Is there enough space for the 940 dizzy to fit in the 240?
If not you would need to install the 240 dizzy in the 940 block. No idea if the 940 block has a useable auxilary shaft to drive that dizzy. If not you would need to swap that over as well. And because you might need the 940 dizzy to be removed (to make the 940 block fit the space in the 240 engine bay) you would also need to plug that hole on the back of the 940 head.

No, there?s not. The head mounted dizzy will contact the firewall in a 240. Dizzy needs to be block mounted. I mean I guess you could beat the **** out of the firewall but don?t do that.

Would need an aux shaft and block mounted dizzy. Some 940?s got block mounted dizzys but those are mostly 94/95 model year from what I?ve seen.

yikes, had not even thought of the 940 distributor.

Possible to remove the distributor and go to a wasted-spark set up on the engine?

Back