• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 240 Replacement Windshield

I think I'd just go ahead and contact one of the glass shops in Oregon (maybe ask Roy who he'd recommend for a shop) and see if they'll set you up with a new windshield. If the glass in your car is original, it's a rather soft glass, so it will develop pits from where rocks, etc, hit it. After a while, the windshield will look like it has been sandblasted. Kinda dangerous, especially on a sunny morning or afternoon, when the angle of the sun is just right to make it impossible to see anything in the shadows, due to severe glare.

Seems like they do. If you don't see any rust bubbles around the frame, you may get lucky like I did.

Got a quote from Euroglass in Redmond, WA for a windshield installed in my 242. $325 installed, plus any rust repair, and tax... So, it'll probably be around $450-$500 when all is said and done. Is from Pilkington's Trival line of glass. ...

I have my 91 wagon scheduled for Monday and your post is encouraging.

The quote I got is comparable but they are going to remove the glass so I can fix the rust in five places that I can see. Then come back when I am done and install the new glass.

I was told it's Trival glass but I didn't know that was Pilkington, except of course it is made in China. It took them two weeks to get it in stock.

I have two bulls eyes and my chrome trim has been gone since before I owned it. It seems to be OEM. This thread is very helpful.

I saw a guide recently on pulling your windshield, doing the rust repair, and adding an aftermarket rubber trim to update it to the newer style essentially. I might repair the bullseyes the best I can and go with this option, as it's pretty cheap to do...

Do most glass companies offer rust repair?

Call The Glass Worker. He?ll do minimal rust repairs (neutralizing and sealing), and it?ll be $200 or so.
The Glass Worker
(503) 299-4955
https://goo.gl/maps/NcbyhzcAZJuXdWVm6

Call The Glass Worker. He’ll do minimal rust repairs (neutralizing and sealing), and it’ll be $200 or so.
The Glass Worker
(503) 299-4955
https://goo.gl/maps/NcbyhzcAZJuXdWVm6

Interesting, had the windshield replaced on a late model 240GL, around 2017 for $200 by an independent(I removed old/did prep, not really sure if that was a typical price?).

The glass looks factory and 'seems' decent quality. The installer said the glass came from Chicago. My only regret was not specifying wider trim, which left the lower corner sills exposed. :roll:

:grrr:

Last edited:
I have my 91 wagon scheduled for Monday and your post is encouraging.

The quote I got is comparable but they are going to remove the glass so I can fix the rust in five places that I can see. Then come back when I am done and install the new glass.

I was told it's Trival glass but I didn't know that was Pilkington, except of course it is made in China. It took them two weeks to get it in stock.

Who are you using for your windshield? I'm in Tampa as well and need to get this done at some point.

Who did you use for your windshield? I'm in Tampa as well and need to get this done at some point.

Rite Touch Glass.

https://ritetouchglass.com/auto-glass.php

wgcWcpZl.jpg

Thank you!

Are you happy with the work done? Did they give you any options on the size of the seal?

You are welcome.

Seal size option? No. They told me they couldn't get any different to what it came with. I could have held out or tried another co. but

1. I had already tried about three other places for a quote and totally struck out.
2. I fixed the rust in about six spots, treated with POR 15, primed and painted, so I wasn't
concerned about old paint line.

Price was more because they charged me to come out twice. But yes, overall very happy.

If I can't seal the screen in the 90 grey wagon I would use them again.

Good luck with yours!

Back