• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Amazon read drum puller and shoe adjustment

vwbusman66

Stößelstange über alles
As I prepare to acquire an Amazon, I have two questions about rear brakes.
I know the drums are on a taper. Is the 5 lug puller from VP needed to remove the drum, or will a 3 lug puller suffice?

Also, what size wrench/socket fits the square drive drum adjuster?

I've used a 3 arm puller on my PV (same taper axle setup), but it's a heavy duty puller. If they haven't been off for a long time, they are HARD to remove.

No clue on the adjusters, the PV has the star adjusters inside the backing plate.

I've used a beefy three lug puller.

The amazon should have an adjuster on the back. It is a 1/4" square. Pretty much the same as a square drive. I use some hex bits and sockets to get a 1/4" drive socket wrench on it.

Also make sure you adjust the parking brake linkage once you adjust the rear brakes.

It's best to use all 5 studs if possible. The drums can be extremely difficult to remove. Make sure to remove the axle nut first (BTDT :oops:), release the parking brake and back off the brake shoe adjustment in case there's a lip worn into the drum. ?" square is the correct size for the adjuster.

I used to make my own drum pullers but this one is hydraulic and cost a little less than the one from VP. I haven't used one but I'll bet it's a lot easier to use than the screw version as long as it fits.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304052802232?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-222657-2056-0&mkcid=2&itemid=304052802232&targetid=1489180511672&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9031042&poi=&campaignid=14063538874&mkgroupid=124041863414&rlsatarget=pla-1489180511672&abcId=9300624&merchantid=108350844&gclid=CjwKCAjw3_KIBhA2EiwAaAAlig7A4jcvXSNNfIz7Cj0ZM8qpeo5BOuyM9S1JmULqtN-vggYcPOzOqxoCFPYQAvD_BwE

Remove the axle nut, reverse it, and screw it back on flush with the threads, so it can help support the end of the axle. Also stops the drum and puller from flying off the axle when it finally pops.

Lots of penetrating oil will help get that drum off. Spray it on there and let it soak awhile. The brake adjuster likes to seize as well so soak that with some too. I have a five leg puller but usually only have to use three legs on it.

Remove the axle nut, reverse it, and screw it back on flush with the threads, so it can help support the end of the axle. Also stops the drum and puller from flying off the axle when it finally pops.

^ x 1000!

I have a three lug puller and it has served me well. It's pretty heavy duty.
However, there have been a few occasions that I needed to install the puller, tighten it up, and then heat around the center of the drum until it finally "popped".

DO NOT ever use a puller that grabs the outside of the drums on a tapered axle! But I think you know that. In my ignorant youth I tried that on the PV and destroyed the drum by warping it. Thankfully, replacements were easy to come by and cheap back then.

Back