• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Field-Find 242 GLT

cagedbunny

R20uJy0h.jpeg

Figure I'll go ahead and introduce a long-term project here. Stumbled into this '82 242 GLT while rummaging around a long-shuttered shop here in NC. Paid too much for it, but felt really excited to give it a new lease on life, after it had sat for 16 years in the same spot. The car had covered 360k miles, when it failed an emissions test and was subsequently parked. The owner refused to let the car go for years, while woods grew up around the poor thing..let alone the 50+ other cars on the property. Right place/right time with a bit of persistence got it shuffled to my driveway. Non-turbo, M46 car.
H6L7boJh.jpeg

SN2QJlIh.jpeg

JkauJDwh.jpeg

SECKcGFh.jpeg

Got it home and pressure washed the hell out of it, then got to really survey the damage. Both buttcheeks are pretty wasted, driver's floorboard has the typical under-seat rot. Trunk floor; ruined. Rust bubbling along the lower seams of each quarter panel, small bumps on the doors, one rust hole on a fender, a bit in the passenger door sill, and the battery tray decimated. But with a new battery, the car ran on starting fluid (aka brake clean.)

Wu7hq54h.jpeg

42G7k17h.jpeg

g5MDbjWh.jpeg

BxH92Y0h.jpeg

QeHbSffh.jpeg

IeHc2dEh.jpeg

4VAWPzuh.jpeg

XPEZIdxh.jpeg

For now, I have a '92 parts sedan to drag home which will donate.. a lot. Sheetmetal, interior trim, likely the engine. This will be my first time welding sheetmetal, and I'll get plenty of practice it seems. End goal is TBD. If I can find a replacement 242T for one I recently lost (burned), this car will get mechanically sorted, become cosmetically acceptable, and just be a driver. If I can't find the right 242T.. this thing may see a more thorough going-over. Not restoration-grade, but likely better than it deserves.

Oh, and the car phone is absolutely staying.

6yBzLOnh.jpeg

Yeah it looks more like a parts car. Personally, I would part it out and just wait till something comes up on the west coast or in the southwest. Just not worth all the trouble.

Car phone won’t work any more. It’s probably analog or at best digital AMPS and all those networks have been decommissioned by now. It’s still a cool period touch.

Is the car still K-Jet or does it have LH1.0?

Yeah it looks more like a parts car. Personally, I would part it out and just wait till something comes up on the west coast or in the southwest. Just not worth all the trouble.

That's not a parts car, it's practically mint.

Besides, it's not like you actually need to fix the rust to drive and enjoy the car. (unless you live in one of them pesky inspection states)

Sadly, kampman is correct; the network the phone would have used was officially decommissioned in 2008. Some folks will gut the internals and replace them with something modern and digital, but I'm not too concerned about it.

Thankfully, the car is not k-jet; just made the cut into LH.

I thought about just fixing the floor and trunk areas, getting it running/driving and having it be a rally-x car.. but I'm taking a couple years off of motorsports to focus on a fledgling business, and don't want to outright abuse the car either.

I have a couple vehicles leaving in the next few days, so I'll get the parts sedan home soon and get cracking. Hopefully the heat breaks around the same time as well, so updates to follow!

Seen worse beforehand - the joys of living near Canuckistan and trolling the junkyards up there... So, I think you did ok on it.

I would recommend going LH 2.2 on the B230F when you install it. Won't need to swap out the differential, add the speed sensor wiring, adapt a later cluster to the car, and source a flywheel with the CPS notches cut into it. It does mean that you'll need to source a LH 2.2 harness and figure out if you're going to stick with Chrysler ignition, but with the later ICU, Bosch distributor, and coil that the 2.2 version uses, or go with EZK-117K off a 740GLE...

Any documentation showing where the car originally came from? Noticed it has the same license plate mounting nuts cut into the tailpanel that my 242 has. I did drill the two holes necessary for the proper Volvo plate bracket on mine a few years ago. Wonder if it was originally sold in New Jersey at one of the dealers there.

If its actually LH1.0 equipment I will buy or trade you lh2.2/2.4 stuff for it if you're replacing it

Any documentation showing where the car originally came from? .

This car was sold new in NC. Maybe the plate brackets were supposed to be installed at the dealerships when PDI'd, but some got missed? Would be interesting to know.

If its actually LH1.0 equipment I will buy or trade you lh2.2/2.4 stuff for it if you're replacing it

It is an LH1.0 set-up; has the rubber fuel line between the rail and injectors. It will be coming off/out at some point, so I'll PM you to see what all you need.

I see a manual window crank in the interior picture. A GLT with manual windows is pretty uncommon. Someone would have spec'd out the car special to have that as a GLT normally has power windows. I also don't see a sunroof which is another typical GLT option. Pretty rare car you found.

^242GLT cars were typically the "low-line" cars in 1982. So, manual windows, mirrors, and locks. I've seen (and owned) 242 Turbos that were also equipped identically. My previous '82 242 Turbo was one. Only options were a passenger mirror, oil temp gauge kit, Microprocessor 4 tape deck with four speakers and a power antenna.

With respect to the sunroof, if you look closely at the photos, there's a slight color difference on the roof panel, which is where the sunroof panel is.

Re: the missing plate bracket, that's likely. Another possibility is that the dealer decided to use their own hardware, instead of using the Volvo parts.

Back