• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Distributorless ignition recommendations for 240 T5 Whiteblock build

Ghettobird

Hi All,

Im planning to dump a T5 into my 240 over the Christmas holidays
After spending hours trying to find a solution to the dizzy hitting the back of the firewall, I cant seem to find any solutions to coilpack conversions on the 94-97 t5 engines

What have you done to convert your engines to coil on plug system?
What options do I have for using the engines stock timing/hall sensors to help make this happen?
I was hoping to keep the stock Engine management system, but will consider other options id needed
Haltech support in Aus is pretty good, but damn expensive!

Oh, and something with programmable Launch control would be the coolest thing ever!!

Thanks for any help!!
Julian :-P

You have multiple choices:
1. standalone ECU. I used VEMS in my 960 T5.
2. Motronic 4.4 ecu converted to COP (hint, later 960/s90 uses motronic 4.4, so most of the hardware is there...). It is fairly easy if You are handy with SMD soldering. You have to solder some SMD resistors. Go to volvospeed forum for more information. Tightmopedman9 has what You need.
This is what I'm doing in the 940 t5
3. front mount distributor. Tried this one, but look like sh!t and seems sketchy. Swedish guys use this method as well.
4. Swedish guys made a cop conversion stuff, it is a separate box and way too expensive.

Your choice :)

EDIT: Motronic can be converted to tune on the fly via Ostrich 2.0. Launch control is available as well, but You don't have an option to cut fuel or spark. It is cutting fuel... i'm not 100% sure on that tho.

Hi All,

After spending hours trying to find a solution to the dizzy hitting the back of the firewall, I cant seem to find any solutions to coilpack conversions on the 94-97 t5 engines

What options do I have for using the engines stock timing/hall sensors to help make this happen?
I was hoping to keep the stock Engine management system, but will consider other options id needed

Oh, and something with programmable Launch control would be the coolest thing ever!!

Thanks for any help!!

Last edited:
Hi All,

Thanks for any help!!

Link G4 Xtreme can do 5 cylinder cop also.

Johann and narancs nailed it. Almost any good stand alone ecu will do COP these days. Vems, megasquirt, haltech, aem ect.

Supposedly there was a cop conversion from TurboTuner but who knows if you can get it. Buchkas were working in one for m4.3/4.4 but not sure they finished.

Uhm.. Y U NO Go V70 > MY'99 ?? Has COPs

Much more complicated ME7 system. Just the immobilizer alone is a big reason not to go 99+.

Second recommendation to talk to tightmopedman9 over on VS. I've met him, he's local here in Denver, very nice guy. He says he's got it fully figured out, so I'm doing that for my whiteblock swap into my 122.

Cheers for the responses!
I had a good look throughtightmopedman9's thread and theres a lot of good info over there!
The part im not too sure about is how to derive the timing from the cams, do I need to install extra sensors? Is there anything pre-installed that i can take advantage of?
ME7 proposes issues i dont want to deal with, ive got a 99 v70 daily, and even that has its own little quirks

M4.4 with onboard COP mod to the ECU is the way to go. TTCOP was never sold as a standalone kit, only in conjunction with a TTusb ECU. It is in limited supply. Much easier to modify an M4.4 ECU.

Gotta buy the mod from Vast Tuning to get the schematics IIRC.
https://vasttuning.com/

It might be possible to compare the M4.4 960 PCB to the 5-cyl M4.4 PCB to find the missing components, which is what they did originally I believe. A part of me wonders if using an M4.4 6-cyl ecu with the 5-cyl software is possible, but I'm sure it's been tried and would be more prevalent if it did work. I believe there are slight code differences too, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
Back