• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 down pipe

nel621

Is IPD still the go to for exhaust parts? Or Groton? After 32 years the down pipe on my 240 finally gave up. Cat back is fine but the Cat section itself doesn't look like it will survive the surgery. Any ideas?

Any CarQuest stores in your area? They can order from WorldPac catalog and most of the Volvo parts are deliverable within a day.

Last edited:
Starla seems to be the go to brand. Also can't beat free shipping. How much hurt is there removing this 32 year old pipe and also trying to save the Cat?

Prices are up and down. No name down pipe $68, one year warranty. Or $105 Starla, no mention of warranty. Bosal about $120 no warranty. All are free shipping.

I need a down pipe for my 1976 242. Ipd doesn’t list them as fitting my particular year. Can anyone provide any info as to why? Or are they liers and it will fit fine? Anyone got a link to one that will fit for sure? Thanks

I need a down pipe for my 1976 242. Ipd doesn?t list them as fitting my particular year. Can anyone provide any info as to why? Or are they liers and it will fit fine? Anyone got a link to one that will fit for sure? Thanks

The early cars use a downpipe with the flange in a different location. It's slightly rotated from the location the car in the 80-90s use. You would have to buy the newer cat and downpipe to use them. I have a downpipe for the early cars but it needs a leak welded. It's not all rusty just cracked at the junction where the two pipes from together.

Starla was bought out by Walker many years ago. They are ok quality but I like to use the over the axle systems nowadays. Better flow and axle clearance than that garbage under the axle crushed pipe. If starla changed to the over the axle design that is a good way to go. I'm sure their front pipe is acceptable quality

Make sure you buy new locking harware and studs for the manifold to down pipe junction. Your best bet at having the cat survive the job is to use a grinder or sawzall to cut the three bolts off so you don't damage the flange. Buy new stainless hardware from Lowes or Home depot. You can use SAE bolts in 5/16" by 1.5" long if you can't find the metric bolts.

From my one-time experience replacing a downpipe in a 940, I was surprised that the aftermarket pipe was noisy. Someone might know why, but the fact is that any slight change in shape, length, metal thickness, etc. will change the exhaust flow in some way. The sound is a light pinging noise especially on acceleration. I thought it was the engine at first.

-L

Thanks dl242gt. My pipe has a hole in the same spot yours does, I guess maybe ill just have it welded up, I dont think its in bad shape otherwise. I was hoping the ipd downpipe might work because I could swap that in myself and stainless steel is cool....

All the modern replacement downpipes are noisy. That's because none have the fiberglass insulated heat shield on them like Volvo originally put on them. They have all rusted away and even Volvo doesn't sell them like that anymore.

Back