• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Hood popped on freeway

RedlineDave

So my hood popped open on the freeway. I managed to pull off safely and ratchet strapped it down to get home. I've since poorly bent it back into a hood like shape. Bent the hinges back to sort of straight and installed 1980's style hood lock pins.

I will replace hood and hinges at some point if I can find the parts.
I'm in Ontario so most 240 are being driven or have long been crushed.

What should I expect to pay for a hood?
I see IPD has hinges so if I'm really stuck I can get from them but the $ for postage and possible duty makes me want to steer clear of them.

Scary sorry to hear

You’re probably gonna get all sorts of quotes on prices around here if you can find any

There was one guy kinda by Kitchener iirc, he was crazy and wanted crazy prices, had a barn but it looked like it was about to fall down on his (admittedly pretty thorough) parts hoard and that was prolly 5 years ago so I doubt he would work.

Near me in Hamilton there is Appco, Thomas. He might have something or know. Can try Jonathan’s Swedish car repair again Hamilton. He seems to be stripping cars when I pass by sometimes. He might be hit or miss for prices tho (like I wouldn’t be surprised if he said $200 or $2000 lol)

Can also try auto service plus near Trinity Bellwood’s in Toronto. Super good dude he might have a source but prolly wouldn’t have one himself. I dunno getting kinda sparse around here these days.

If you need me to put eyes on anything near me I can help lemme know

Like this?I totally understand. Sorry,glad to hear you are ok. I sourced a replacement from a jy with hinge and bought a new windshield.
subsource-done-button-uid-2-DD2-AEE5-B69-B-4262-BABA-DDBB5-CE86-DE6-1603064428636-source-other-origi.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I wouldn't a regular 240 hood would be much, I would pay $100-150 if it was really nice and the right color. Having said that, the hoods are not rare at all around here. Shipping one to you would be crazy expensive though.

Maybe put the year in here so people can help more accurately.

Scary sorry to hear

There was one guy kinda by Kitchener iirc, he was crazy and wanted crazy prices, had a barn but it looked like it was about to fall down on his (admittedly pretty thorough) parts hoard and that was prolly 5 years ago so I doubt he would work.

Are you talking about Howard at autocraft?

I used to live right by this guy 20+ years ago.

Back then that barn was full of 122's and 1800's doubt he ever emptied it but who knows.

Are you talking about Howard at autocraft?

I used to live right by this guy 20+ years ago.

Back then that barn was full of 122's and 1800's doubt he ever emptied it but who knows.

Yes I really didn?t like my one dealing with him.

Was trying to buy doors for the 740. He?s like I have them they are perfect. I said ok can I see them? He said no, first you pay me then you see them. His price was high too but I was like ok I need nice doors so paid him. He brings out doors that were very far from perfect and walks away. I wanted to tip over that damn barn lol

I hope it fell on him since

Yes I really didn?t like my one dealing with him.

Was trying to buy doors for the 740. He?s like I have them they are perfect. I said ok can I see them? He said no, first you pay me then you see them. His price was high too but I was like ok I need nice doors so paid him. He brings out doors that were very far from perfect and walks away. I wanted to tip over that damn barn lol

I hope it fell on him since

Sounds like Howard. I grew up in KW and remember my dad getting parts from him as a kid.

He even grabbed an 80 242 GT off of him that was in "mint" condition. What a disaster that was.

I went to him a few times growing up and a similar experiences. He had that crusty attitude of "why are you bothering me" back then. I could only imagine what he is like 25 years later.

It is a 1988 245
To be honest I kind of like the hood pins. If the hood was straighter I'd just leave it.
I really don't value a hood at more than $200. So I guess that is my line in the sand

So my hood popped open on the freeway. I managed to pull off safely and ratchet strapped it down to get home. I've since poorly bent it back into a hood like shape. Bent the hinges back to sort of straight and installed 1980's style hood lock pins.

I will replace hood and hinges at some point if I can find the parts.
I'm in Ontario so most 240 are being driven or have long been crushed.

What should I expect to pay for a hood?
I see IPD has hinges so if I'm really stuck I can get from them but the $ for postage and possible duty makes me want to steer clear of them.

Glad to hear you were not injured, I had this happen once on a non-Swedish car and was able to pull over over without incident. If you were local I could trade you a "fair" condition late model 240 hood for some cheese or possibly beer.

:-P

I too have dealt with Howard and the above comments check out... I think I've got his number saved somewhere if you want to attempt hitting him up

Noooo Dave don?t do it

Also we needed a Howard hotline group so maybe some of us could?ve avoided this collective fate lol

Damn. That’s exactly what happened to me on a 67 Mustang fastback I bought. We were taking it out for a test drive and the previous owner had been messing with the latch which I didn’t realize. The hood came open at 90 miles an hour when I crossed the rail road tracks on a narrow 2 lane road. Luckily, I had learned to fly Taildragger airplanes when I got my license so I used the edge of the road out of the side window until I got it slowed down to a stop. I have to admit it scared the **** out of me.

Back