• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

93 245 overdrive

JERIC

My newly purchased 93 245s overdrive was working then on the ride home today it didnt shift into overdrive is this common and is there an easy fix for it? It is anb automatic.
Thanks
Eric

There can be a few reasons that the OD doesn't work. Dirty trans fluid and clogged valve orifice, bad OD solenoid, bad OD solenoid wiring, bad switch, bad relay, or blown fuse. If you hear a click under the car when you press the switch, then it is most likely old dirty fluid and the hydraulic pressure is too low to engage the OD. How does the fluid look?
If the solenoid is bad the by-pass kit is a good idea, but limits the gearing possible. It's nice to have it on all the time as it helps when in low gears for round-town driving mileage

this is my new DD already have my 142 for doing fun stuff to.
The fluid does need to be changed will do that 2marow after work and see what happens.
Thanks for the info
Eric

As stated above, park the car in a quiet location and listen at ground level (lean over as far as you can with the door open), you should be able to hear the solenoid clicking when pressing the shifter button (ignition on). Don't confuse this for the clicking from inside the dash where the OD relay is located. If you hear the clicking under the car, odds are the relay and solenoid are good. Make sure fuse #11 is in good order.

Otherwise the most common failure is with the relay. On your model, even if the dash light comes on when you press the button, the relay could well still be faulty. Best to pull it, pop the cover off and inspect the circuit board for any cold-cracked-failed-fried solder joints, re-flow as need or all of them. Access the relay by removing the glove box, relay is located below the center dash vents. If the relay is in good order, check under the car, use a test lamp to make sure there is both sufficient voltage and current reaching the solenoid connector; and if so, odds are you need a new solenoid. I'd pull it off and bench test it.

If replacing the solenoid: The same OD solenoid is used on most all automatic equipped '82+ 240/700/940 4 cylinder cars, so you might be able to find a good used one, but otherwise about 60$ for a new aftermarket. Jack up the entire driver's side of the car, clean the area around the solenoid first with brake cleaner to minimize dirt contamination, be ready for some fluid leaking out, but it shouldn't be too much. Two 12mm bolts, flex head ratcheting gear wrench works best.

For additional reference:
http://www.threefattigers.com/Protocore/Volvo/ODsolenoid.htm
Note the insulation on the white wire that exits the shifter is a common failure point where the insulation fails and the wire shorts, damaging the relay.

It's nice to have it on all the time as it helps when in low gears for round-town driving mileage
On an automatic? Still not going to shift into OD until about 35 mph.

I hear 240 OD solenoids are really super twitchy. The perfect fix would be an M47 5-Speed, though.
93 240 manual was an M47. 240 automatic OD solenoid is the same as found on almost all 4 cylinder RWD automatics, not a part I would describe a twitchy though.

Hey guys,

I know this thread is old, but I'm having a non-working OD issue as well on my '91 240. It suddenly stopped working today.

I went to take it out on the highway this morning when I realized that it wasn't shifting into OD. I later stopped and restarted the car and the arrow on the dash was lit for about a minute after I started the car, after which it turned off, with the OD still not working. I just replaced the OD relay with a brand new, OEM one and now the light on the dash stays lit constantly and the OD still doesn't work. I checked the fuse with a test light and it seems to be fine.

I've read others on here say that arrow lit on dash+no OD= relay failure, but that didn't fix it for me. Any other suggestions?

Hey guys,

I know this thread is old, but I'm having a non-working OD issue as well on my '91 240. It suddenly stopped working today.

I went to take it out on the highway this morning when I realized that it wasn't shifting into OD. I later stopped and restarted the car and the arrow on the dash was lit for about a minute after I started the car, after which it turned off, with the OD still not working. I just replaced the OD relay with a brand new, OEM one and now the light on the dash stays lit constantly and the OD still doesn't work. I checked the fuse with a test light and it seems to be fine.

I've read others on here say that arrow lit on dash+no OD= relay failure, but that didn't fix it for me. Any other suggestions?

Maybe the switch is toast? Or as suggested a few posts up the wire going from the shifter to to the trans tunnel might have a bare spot that is shorting?

Well I just got done driving my car again and the OD works now:???: But I'm still pursuing the culprit. Perhaps a short in some wiring?

Well I just got done driving my car again and the OD works now:???: But I'm still pursuing the culprit. Perhaps a short in some wiring?

I need to replace the solenoid on mine, but I can't get a wrench around the bolt closest to the front of the car, 12 point flex line wrench won't grab it.

Back