• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Removing dashboard, 85 244

Boost

Im gutting the interior today. I got to the dashboard, and im having some trouble. If there is a detailed write up, or an online manual, please, would you point me in that direction??

Thanks guys;-)

Oh one more question guys... Im pulling a dash from a 92, they use Torx screws. What sizes will I need?

I think it is T-20.

OP, you should do a write up or at least take some pictures of how you removed it.

make sure you use the steering column cover and driver side kick panel (duh) with the 92 dash..

your 85 stuff wont work...

I just pulled a 92 dash myself and I spent some time test fitting which parts I would need.

You need the column cover and underdash panely thing.
The column cover wraps around the ignition switch different...
and the thin kick panels on the sides, you can use the ones from your car... The 92 panels are cut down, but they are the same... Im not sure if you do indeed need to cut them down, but just saying.

I still havent installed mine into the 81 yet, so does anyone else have any advice on installing a newer dash into a old car?
I know Im ganna have to make some kind of bracket to hold on the big bulky underdash panel

Yes I've very recently put a '92 244 SRS dash into an '84 242Ti. As said before the steering column covers must the SRS type and you do need to install and use the knee bolster, and the left kick panel is different. As for or the center dash console, only the left metal support leg and side panel need to be updated to the SRS type, this to accommodate the right support bracket for the horizontal bar that makes up the bottom support for the knee bolster. The left side support for this bar is provided by the new type (SRS) hood release handle bracket, this you can do without by just fabricating a simple bracket to hold that side of the bar. The new type hood release is much better to have with the knee bolster but you can live with the original type release. Other than that, every thing bolts in the same way.

i did this with the help of a haynes manual (sarcasm)
these were the directions for changing the heater core:
"step 1: remove dash
step 2: separate blower halves
step 3: remove heater core
installation is the reverse of removal"
and there was NO clarification on how to remove the dash, and 4 hours later, i had a fresh heater core! :lol:

Back