• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jared's '79 5.3 244 Project: The Qwikbrik

I finally did something about lighting in my shop. Much more better now.
IMG_1930.jpg

Apparently, once upon a time, my car used an external voltage regualtor. Who knew?
IMG_1939.jpg

Also, in cleaning and prepping the oil pan for paint, I found these things in several places. Rock hits? Metal fatigue? Anybody ever seen this before?
IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

Those are rust "spiders" that form when the paint is chipped off in a small area, probably from rocks as you said. The freshly exposed metal rusts quickly, but then the rust continues to spread outwards underneath the good paint around the chip. I guess that's why they call it the tin worm. I found a whole bunch of 'em when I stripped the paint off the front end of my '66 VW.

Use a flap wheel or wire wheel and clean them up; I think you'll find there isn't any real damage to the pan. You can treat them with some type of rust killer if you don't want them coming back (ospho, phosphoric acid, POR-15 "metal ready" for example).

Picked up a 531 today for $free.99. Score. It's in pretty decent shape, but will need some help where it mates to the block.

IMG_1945.jpg

Exhaust ports are all in excellent shape, with little to no corrosion. Here's #4
IMG_1946.jpg

Yummy
IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1968.jpg

And the damage that'll need to be fixed
IMG_1964.jpg

And just for anybody that's wondering, here's the difference between the block coolant passages and the 531 coolant passages. The bottom edge of the photo of the head matches up with the top of the photo of the block. Like you're folding a piece of paper.

IMG_1974.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

Also-anybody know what this is? Looks like some sort of flywheel/rpm sensor in my B21. Has 3 wires coming off of them that terminate in a female connector. Odd.

IMG_1969.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

Yeah-a guy on CL posted that he had some Penta stuff for sale-I called him up and talked a little. $150 purchase price, or he was willing to trade for a 530 I had in the basement. Win.

No K-cams though. And thanks for the info on the sensor. Cool stuffs.

Looking good Jared. Nice score on the 531. Hows the bay cleaning going?

It's not yet. The ground outside the shop is still too soft to push the car out-it's been raining for 3-4 days straight. Hopefully it'll dry out some towards the end of the week.

Getting there.

IMG_1984.jpg

God I hate just piddling around. The job I was supposed to start this past monday has been pushed back to next week.

Well, I finally started work, which means I can finally make some headway. Still a little housekeeping left though.

So far, I've finished painting and clear coating the block, and tonight I got the first coat on the engine bay. I'll wet sand it and put a second coat on it tomorrow.

Yeah, she was helping
IMG_2001.jpg

Block turned out better than expected.
IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2004.jpg

Primered Up
IMG_2002.jpg

Painted
IMG_2009.jpg

Finally got the shop looking a little more proper :D

IMG_2011-1.jpg

Back