• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My '78 242 L33 turbo build

I meant a return from the fuel rail. I guess what you are saying is the aftermarket pressure regulator can return to the tank from itself, ok, makes sense. I've been looking at this from the viewpoint of the engines I know well, which have always run a line back from the rail.

The 8.8 will probably hold the torque I plan on making just fine, its not going to get into 4 digits.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help.

One thing I think you will want is a aftermarket regulator with a rising rate for your turbo. For example, if you run the nominal stock pressure of 59 psi and then run 15 lbs of boost. You only have 44psi or fuel pressure (59-15=44). With the aftermarket regulator (1:1 rate) you end up with 74psi (59+15=74). That is a much better way to build it. And you can still run the aftermarket regulator in "returnless" mode.

This thread has a nice picture on how to do it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510698&amp=1

Last edited:
Ah, cool, thanks for the link! And ya the engine bay doesn't need extra hoses haha.

So while looking for 8.8's, I found a 9" Ford that is already set up for a 240!!! Mounts, brakes, etc. It's seized up but its really cheap. For the price I think its a good option to rebuild it, saves me a lot of work. Opinions? A friend of mine who is a serious fanboy of old Fords said it's worth it even if I use are the axles and tubes, apparently its no big deal to change the center housing if needed.

LpSMndkl.jpg

uyQW03rl.jpg

Heres the pics I got, factory tag is too rusty to read. But under $200...I can get the 3:89 ratio I want, has the right axles, mounts already welded on, etc, I found a semi local rebuilder on CL with decent prices, https://southjersey.craigslist.org/pts/d/ford-9-inch-complete-rears/6736123603.html
The huge advantage I see here is the "bolt on" tubes and the hubs are already in place, that saves me a lot of labor that I can't do myself.

M.H., my dog likes to play with the bunny, but the bunny might be able to kick her ass lol, 20 lb rabbits have a hell of a kick, he got me once and it was bloody lol.

Those are easy to rebuild no shims to **** wit they have screws to move the carrier,pull the center section and see if it's a posi I bet the brakes are just froze up. I'd snag that thing!! The furd 8.8 is really a 12-bolt chevy inside it even uses the same bearings

I'm working on grabbing it up, I'm mostly excited about it being almost "bolt in" + rebuild, I'm sure it doesnt have the ratio I want but who knows, seems like a sweet score! My contact on it said the same thing, brakes are probably locked up. Those are scrap metal anyway, along with whatever else is bolted to it.

Haha, definitely happy about that find, I must be living right lol, actually it I found it though a long string of events stemming for a Craiglist ad for my M46 transmission or my flat hood set up..I can't remember, so many pm's, so many emails...Idk anymore... I'm trying to make it happen this week

Not yet, I will before payment. Supposedly 240 ready though. I havent actually seen it in person yet, still working though a guy that knows a guy, but pretty confident in my 1st guy haha

Ah, it is rusty, but not scrap. Its worth the time setting pinion angles and mounting locations for the brackets. I thought it was worth the axle bearings being welded on also but turns out they belong to a Ford Grenada, which (for those who don't know) is a massive brown skid mark on automotive history, although I learned when I was younger that they can handle around 2 1/2 foot jump without self destructing.
I am probably replacing the center section with a nodular iron one (NHRA requirement), with 3.89 ratio and Wavetrac.
I was told around $200, going to pick it up this weekend.

The axle housings on a 9" rear are removable, so they are what I really want, I'm trying to reduce fab time as much as possible.

I was totally sold on the 8.8 from the above posts, I even found one to buy, but this is almost bolt in...

Nice. I just yanking your chain bc I am a little jelly. This car is going to be a monster, with goodlooks and fine Swedish Jewerly.

I guess I could switch to that style rail thoogh probably. My system is returnless, I got a return style rail on the way just to keep options open, maybe that rail accepts a regulator. I do like the idea of less fuel lines however.

Back