home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 09-12-2022, 02:06 PM   #1
VolvoLatAm
Board Member

Default Some hose clamps Volvo utilized are great

I researched the brand of hose clamps used on my 82' eurospec 244--AWAB

they really are marine grade and well built--never seen a speck of rust on them:
https://www.practical-sailor.com/sys...long-term-test

another article:
https://www.practical-sailor.com/sys...el-hose-clamps

Did these come on the American market cars as well?
VolvoLatAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 03:02 PM   #2
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

ABA clamps are the version volvo uses. I've seen rust on them being up here where the brine rules the winter roads. But even rusty once you spray with a bit of penetrating oil they usually work fine. I've only had them fail from being overtightened.

Domestic cars have always used the worm drive clamps that gouge into the rubber hose from overtightening. Maybe some other Euro car makes use the good ABA clamps but I don't know. Porsche maybe?
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 440k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 03:19 PM   #3
dorvin
idunno

I've gotten into the habit of having various ABA sizes on hand, they're excellent clamps.

Also, not sure if they were replaced by a previous owner, but I pulled AWAB clamps from my 850 that while they looked like garbage, they cleaned up and operated without issue.
'93 Volvo 240 - 683/1600
'97 Volvo 850 T5
'12 Volvo S60 T5

Last edited by dorvin; 09-12-2022 at 03:27 PM..
dorvin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 04:07 PM   #4
Khrrck
Professional Amateur

I always appreciate the ones which have embossed slots for the gear engagement rather than punched holes. Chews up the hose less when tight.
Originally Posted by Dirty Rick View Post
Navigating the Siskiyous in a 3 wheeled Volvo will not end well.
Khrrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 09:35 AM   #5
Kjets On a Plane
Board Member

They’re decent?

MBZ have stainless w/nice rolled edge, but the screw itself is even on those mild if JY shopping but the post chrysler MBZ aren’t as good as the older style and finding MBZ w/7mm screws for your 7mm driver to match the rest of your Volvo & clamps in the cabin on the heater core & valve is a challenge for the anal/picky?

& my picquic super-8 multi screwdriver w/mariner anti-corrosion bits, I have to install the alternate sleeve for 7mm (larger than 1/4”, but smaller than 5/16” on the sleeve it comes with?) or use the 1/4” nut driver w/a socket which means not having it loaded and ready to go in the multi (tho you can use the flat/blade slot / similar but I prefer to use the 7mm hex…)

No big deal on the mild cad plated screw if you remove the screw and coat it in super thick grease (don’t get any grease that might dissolve rubber on on the hoses themselves!).

Idk who would have a corrosion resistant military grade inconel screw on a hose clamp…we can only dream to actually materially benefit a little more as mere peons from the ~$786billlion (as of ~5 years ago/budget that somehow never shrinks?) military budget a bit more tangibly?

Short of fancy t-bolt clamps, haven’t found anything better than junkyard -‘95 pre-Chrysler MBZ hose clamps for automotive and even the marine grade don’t match the rest of the Volvo great?

The MBZ the band is a little narrower and threads are softer/smaller being stainless so don’t man handle or over tighten them for both the long long term health of the hose & clamp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
If you send me $20$14.99, I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20$14.99 from people on the internet.
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:05 AM   #6
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

The OE hose clamps are OK. They’re too stiff to seal well in some applications, and when they get crusty it’s easy to strip them out.

I just buy these from McMaster, choose the grade of SS you want and rock on. I really like them on intercooler and turbo plumbing, 30psi + proper beaded tubes = no connections blowing apart. 4 sizes will cover most volvo engine bays and leave you with some spares as well. I keep a spare 7mm nut-driver in the car, which you can get from McMaster for less than $10.

https://www.mcmaster.com/hose-clamps...se-and-tube-8/

Head work: https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=349975

Temp Sender Adapters: https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=348169
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 03:18 PM   #7
Kjets On a Plane
Board Member

I have a giant jar of junkyard MBZ SS and just double up the clamps on the intercooler hoses…
…agreed that the Volvo clamps are a bit wide and stiff snd the hoses can squirm out from under them…

But I have more just school of hard knocks than insider industry knowledge or formal education & ‘do no harm’ w/more time than money, or did in years past and hate buying anything new If I don’t have to?

That said, I’d do what cullberro suggests to nail (clamp?) stuff down?

The picquic bits snap in the drill with the wobble or little mini-screw gun to wind them down nicely with some grease or anti-seize on the screw threads…
…power tools are faster winding on flanged 6-pt hex screws, but feeling stuff & verifying proper smooth threading winding it down slow & being gentle is important too if it’s your own car and you want to keep it 50,000 years or so & as close to factory as possible without getting stranded/ having unexpected unplanned ‘issues?’

Last edited by Kjets On a Plane; 09-13-2022 at 03:31 PM..
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 03:35 PM   #8
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

This guy did a rapid-fire test of a lot of different styles.

I've also found the Gates Power-Grip heat shrink clamps to be super useful.
My Project
K-Jet to Megasquirt Article

The Departed: 1981 245, 1981 245, 1983 245 Turbo, 1983 244 Turbo, 1983 242 Turbo, 1984 244, 1985 245 Turbo, 1989 244, 1989 244, 1989 765, 1990 245 Turbo, 1991 244, 1992 245, 1997 855, 2004 V70R
propav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 11:26 PM   #9
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by propav8r View Post

I've also found the Gates Power-Grip heat shrink clamps to be super useful.
I've always wanted to try those...
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 11:56 AM   #10
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

When I buy the clamps all the way on the right in the video for the air handling turbo pipes. The shop told me about the Gates heat shrink clamps. I didn't try them but they seem like a great product if you have the room to get all around them with the heat source.
Old 09-14-2022, 11:30 PM   #11
Harry Tuttle
Board Member

The ABA clamps supplied on US 240's are very fine, but are made of plated steel, not stainless. The very same clamp is available from marine suppliers, such as Defender, in 316 stainless.

For a history of hose clamps, prominently featuring ABA, check this article. If you scroll down, there is a sidebar all about how these clamps were invented in Sweden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabbs
just gutless low compression k-junk
Harry Tuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 01:03 AM   #12
redblockpowered
mails files to people

https://belmetric.com/

Bookmark this. The owners have some sweet Unimogs too.
If you live in the Northeast US, I'll drive to you and tune your LH 2.4 car!
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 05:28 PM   #13
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

I second the Belmetric suggestion. They have quality hardware of all types including hard to find items.