home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 08-31-2022, 04:36 PM   #26
1968 volvo
Board Member

I know you can weld a nut on the end but that’s useless to me without a welder.
Old 08-31-2022, 04:41 PM   #27
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

If you can't weld it. The next step is to take it to a machine shop or fabrication shop. They will weld a nut on the end and remove it. Plus they can redrill the hole and tap it for you if needed. The welding trick works wonders and is your next approach to getting it repaired.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 440k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 08:04 PM   #28
1968 volvo
Board Member

Ok. I’ll see what I can do
1968 volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 12:28 PM   #29
Kjets On a Plane
Board Member

Can you use an ice cube to smash iced over it hot after gentle little butane torch with some penetrating lube snd t-handle breaker bar w/stud extractor that bites the stud from 360 degrees and get it moving/rock it or similar?

I have a short 1/2” drive T-handle slider breaker bar with detent from the 70s I use for gently screwing diesel injectors into D24 heads so I don’t crack them snd working stubborn studs back and forth rocking them without putting torque on just one side of them if I’d be using a socket or ratchet otherwise?

Failing that, there’s the thing swedishiron posted, but most machinists worth their salt (or guys with good dentists fine motor hand control & ‘the Midas touch’ for metal tweakiness with mechanicals, jewelry, metal teeth etc?) just have a plasma cutter snd give stuck rusty snapped studs a good zap with the oil and ice cube after tapping them with the right implement snd they just about jump right outta there?

But they do it every day/know how to control their temps & have a feel for each type of stuck fastener & how hard, how old/fatigued & temp cycled, how rusty & how stuck?

Busted or stuck in aluminum damaging the threads in the aluminum alloy is often more the issue compared to rusted/stuck steel stud to cast iron…
..but they’re often wound in their fairly tight to the shoulder or the stud.
Later whiteblock turbo cars use all-thread studs that seem more reliable among other subtle revisions?

Good luck?

On the old oil only turbo beat out non-if B21Ft cars, those things the manifold warps and rips the threads out of the heads oftentimes/issues…
…better studs & turbo cup washers might be nice tho probably overkill for n/a.
The pre 90 manifolds warp at the head flange, 90+ they’re tied together at the head flange & don’t Earp there , but run rat fart small Mitsubishi junk restrictive turbos with a tiny outlet, thick turbo flange and thin spot in the quality cast tube collector where they crack…

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
If you send me $20$14.99, I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20$14.99 from people on the internet.

Last edited by Kjets On a Plane; 09-01-2022 at 12:43 PM..
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 09:03 AM   #30
OVERDRIVE
Board Member

If you're still dealing with this, I had a Vanagon recently that did something similar. Harbor Freight has vice grips with a 1/4" socket slot in the chuck, so you can really tighten down on something. That along with a small propane torch got all of my broken studs out.
Old 09-05-2022, 12:06 AM   #31
stev
Board Member

This is what I was told was a great tool for extracting stripped studs: https://www.autozone.com/tools-and-e...ctor/52437_0_0

I had a similar situation where I first tried double nutting it then stripped it with vice grips so I went and bought this tool. Got it clamped to the stud fully and when I went to turn it, it just snapped the stud off. So it was almost flush with the head. So I just welded a nut onto it and it eventually came out. But I probably was loosening it at an angle so it snapped easier.
stev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 12:48 PM   #32
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

Those extractors work well. But when the repair needed goes beyond that is where we are at with this repair. Thus the welding method discussion.

Now this is the ultimate tool to have for repairing broken studs, taps, and bolts. https://electroarc.com/the-metal-dis...s-infographic/

Last edited by dl242gt; 09-05-2022 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: correct spelling
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:19 PM   #33
Otto Mattik
board member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968 volvo View Post
ha! My grandpa is the kind of person who paints his case orange tractors primer grey because the orange is too flashy and looks too nice and will get too dirty too fast.

https://www.google.com/search?q=case...tP6Z_YFXhywqeM

hes got one like this but primer gray.
Ah interesting, we have a similar paint scheme going on with a Ford 9N.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=323689
Otto Mattik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 09:20 PM   #34
1968 volvo
Board Member

Ok done. I got the stud off. Cleaned up the surfaces reassembled and it works good. I was able to get the stud by heating and letting the head cool. Thanks for the advice guys. I’ll note those gaskets were dead. I wonder if they were the original ones.
1968 volvo is offline   Reply With Quote