• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Need some APC clarification

A

Anonymous

I have seen alot of talk of the saab APC system and I am planning on adding it to my 84 244ti. I am curious about what the max boost is with this system. I have read all about playing with the poteniometers (sp?) on the circuit board and such, but will the APC give me as much boost as it can, then back off when it knocks. Or does it just boost to a preset level, and only back off the boost if the engine were to knock?

My goal for the car is to run ~1bar boost using the APC system.

Any clarification would be apprecitated.

-Alan

APC will give you as much boost as it can, up to your preset level, until it detects knocking, where it will back the boost down.

Alot of the Saab guys run more than 1 bar of boost, so you should have no problem running that with the same hardware.

Good luck!

APC system is fully adjustable through a small screw adjustment on the circuit board. Mine is set at 14psi and I have had no problems with it. Shouldn't be a problem to dial it up to 20 psi. Just turn the screw clock wise. I like it because the system has it's own Knock sensor and backs off the boost in 2 psi increments till the knock is eliminated. You do need to get a calibrated boost gauge to set the boost correctly. What is nice about the system is it piggy backs your present system. So if anything would go wrong with it, your boost would revert back to factory 7.5 psi. You do not have to mess with the wastegate at all.

if you don't have your block tapped for a knock sensor, just forget the apc system altogether.. just run 14-15 psi of boost @ 10-11 degrees of ignition timing on 92 octane. that would be fun enough. :-)

BrickFixer said:
I have seen alot of talk of the saab APC system and I am planning on adding it to my 84 244ti. I am curious about what the max boost is with this system. I have read all about playing with the poteniometers (sp?) on the circuit board and such, but will the APC give me as much boost as it can, then back off when it knocks. Or does it just boost to a preset level, and only back off the boost if the engine were to knock?

My goal for the car is to run ~1bar boost using the APC system.

Any clarification would be apprecitated.

-Alan

You can piggyback the APC sensor on top of the present Volvo sensor with a longer bolt and torque it to 12 pounds.

No, I don't have the hole tapped in my block for the knock sensor as of yet, but I have gotten the thread pattern of the bolt, M8x1.25mm to be exact. I feel the drilling a small hole and cutting threads with the appropriate thread should be no problem. I've had to fix enough exhaust manifold studs as it is!! :x

Since i can "dial" in on the max boost of the system, anyone have an approximate max boost I could run with the Term 11 trick? 1 bar of boost is a goal, but no harm in passing goals.....is there?? :lol:

Thanks for all your help in clearing things up for me!!

-Alan

should just have it tapped for a GM style or Ford style knock sensor and use a MSD knock meter for tuning purposes.. at least that is what i would do........

Anonymous said:
No, I don't have the hole tapped in my block for the knock sensor as of yet, but I have gotten the thread pattern of the bolt, M8x1.25mm to be exact. I feel the drilling a small hole and cutting threads with the appropriate thread should be no problem. I've had to fix enough exhaust manifold studs as it is!! :x

Since i can "dial" in on the max boost of the system, anyone have an approximate max boost I could run with the Term 11 trick? 1 bar of boost is a goal, but no harm in passing goals.....is there?? :lol:

Thanks for all your help in clearing things up for me!!

-Alan

I would like some clarification on this too. I have a B21ft with the K-jet system. how would i hook up the apc system regardless? thanx.

Jared

have the block's knock sensor boss tapped for a knock sensor. this will require removal of the intake manifold. this would be a good time to convert your intake manifold to a late model manifold.

Gizm0 said:
I would like some clarification on this too. I have a B21ft with the K-jet system. how would i hook up the apc system regardless? thanx.

Jared

Back