• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

trans for 85 turbo questions

TimS

I need to replace my trans in my 240 turbo. Can I only use one from another turbo motor?
Can I get a non turbo aw71 and swap parts to make it turbo compatible?
Or does someone have one in the sacramento area?
Tim

If your car has an AW71 right now, you should be able to take the AW71 from any turbo car (240, 740, 940) and change the tail shaft out for the one on your current transmission. If you get a 240 AW71, the transmissions are the same and no parts swapping is required.

IIRC, only turbo 240's, turbo 740's, and turbo 940's had AW71's. 1993+ NA cars also had AW71's. 1992 and down NA 7xx/9xx's and 1993 and down 240's all had AW70's. You do not want an AW70- it is not as strong as the AW71.

While you're in there, do the accumulator mod for better power holding.

It'll also have to be one from a pre-'94 or '95 car. The late ball bearing tailshafts don't have the ability to use the worm gear for the speedo drive.

There have been some 1985-on 240s with Aw71 trannies behind their B230F engines, btw. Not very many, but, it does happen.

-J

^ball bearing tailshaft, so no speedometer, unless you update to a 1986-92 non-ABS cluster and rear axle, plus the wiring. If you're willing to do the update, you can get rid of the bushing at the back that leaks.

Tailshaft = output shaft.

-J

So if I get a pre 93 aw71, I can just put my speedo gear in and install.

If I get a post 93 with roller bearing tailshaft, I would have to change everything over to the electronic speedo (lots of work) or change the tailshaft and housing off of my old one.

Maybe I should start over. 1985 244 turbo 135K
The car sat for a long time (20yrs) I got it running, I dropped the pan changed the filter and refilled. I 've run some flush hoping it would free up.

It seems to act like its low on fluid .Ie late shifting and only when revved up.
If I over fill the fluid it shifts fine, but leaks (more). Leaks down (about halfway) and same problems.

I checked pressure and at idle it's in specs. but when revved in both D and R the pressure is about 50 psi lower then the specs.

I opened it up and when I tried to remove the valve body it hung up on the cable.
When I reached for some pliers it came off and fell, breaking off a corner of the valve body.
The hazards of having a car on the lift.

Can I just steal the valve body from the 95 and install it?
Assuming I don't drop it when I pull it out.

Back