home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 04-06-2021, 04:43 PM   #1
FROSTED_BVTTS
Board Member

Default 240 Replacement Windshield

Anybody had luck getting a 240 windshield lately? If so, where did you get it? My 85's is leaking and it's got a couple little bullseye cracks, but the guy at the collision repair place in town couldn't get one to replace it with, early or later style.
FROSTED_BVTTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:16 PM   #2
nel621
Board Member

Have him look for a 93 240.
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:00 AM   #3
sheepbleat
Board Member

I just had a shop successfully track one down for me this week. Car’s a ‘91 244 and the windshield was sitting in a warehouse in NJ.

The guy I spoke with made it sound like the later ones are much easier to get than the earlier ones. Not sure if that applies everywhere though.

My Feedback Thread
sheepbleat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:26 AM   #4
nel621
Board Member

Your car will have a windshield with chrome trim. The replacement will NOT have the chrome trim, just a black rubber seal. Helps with wind noise. I don't think you will be able to reuse the old trim.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:35 AM   #5
TestPoint
Board Member

You won't be able to reuse the chrome trim.

Order the windshield with at least 3/4" rubber gasket or even 1". If you don't specify you are going to get 5/8" and gaps. If it shows up with 5/8" you are not going to be happy.

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:54 PM   #6
283SD
Board Member

Replaced one on my '90 245 a few years ago, got the one with the rubber trim/gasket. A local glass shop supplied it and came to my house and installed it. they have since closed/retired.
283SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:30 PM   #7
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

I got one in 2019 installed by Normans glass in Burlington NJ. They got me a PPG windshield. They were still listed as available from Volvo at that time for about $60 more. The guy told me that the trim is put on at the factory and he can't advise the factory to put a larger lip seal on there. So mine is raised a little at the corners but is otherwise ok even though you can see the old line from the larger original seal lip. Such is the parts supply we have nowadays.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:40 PM   #8
TestPoint
Board Member

The seal/gasket is available on ebay in various widths. The gasket is not permanently attached and easily replaced.

What comes standard with the glass is intended for the later ('93) windshields. That just doesn't work with 240's that came with the chrome trim.

Everyone is just lazy. Find someone that cares. You didn't buy a decent 240 for cheap transportation.

With the price the 240's especially the 245's selling on the internet these days you want to do it right for a $20 difference.
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:43 PM   #9
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Even Volvo only has the newer style windshield available. But they probably aren't as lazy as PPG glass and they put on a seal that is more suited to the car.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:26 PM   #10
FROSTED_BVTTS
Board Member

Thanks for all the responses. I told the folks at the collision place about the later windshields, but apparently their suppliers didn't have any glass to replace it with. Guess I just need to do some calling around. This car is beat to hell and basically a sensory war crime already, so I'll try to get the 1" gasket but for now I'll take what I can get if it means a windshield that seals. What's the process to replace the gasket if I wind up with the thinner one?
FROSTED_BVTTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:52 AM   #11
bartman
Board Member

Go to davebarton.com and do some reading
bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:42 PM   #12
sheepbleat
Board Member

Just got back from having a windshield put into a ‘91 244. Guy said it was an absolute pain to find the glass, but it came from a warehouse in South NJ.

The glass arrived with some really small trim on it (as described by Dave Barton). Installer agreed the trim it came with wouldn’t fly and gave me a choice of new moldings he could put on. I went with T-108. It’s about 1” or 25mm. Hope you’re able to find someone as thorough in your neck of the woods.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:13 PM   #13
Khrrck
Professional Amateur

I've needed a new windshield for years but I've always been kinda afraid of the state of the sill underneath, since I have no garage to do rust repair in and there's definitely a couple bubbles in the corners...

Given how rough it sounds like it is to find glass now, seems like it might be better to do it now and pay someone to handle the rust if necessary. :( If anyone knows a good glass shop in the Portland area I'm all ears.
Navigating the Siskiyous in a 3 wheeled Volvo will not end well.
Khrrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:02 AM   #14
nel621
Board Member

How much was that glass from S. Jersey?
Old 04-10-2021, 10:17 AM   #15
sheepbleat
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel621 View Post
How much was that glass from S. Jersey?
Not cheap. $375 installed with the new molding. Got it done here in BK. LMK if you want the installer’s contact info. He’s in Sunset Park.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:22 PM   #16
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

That's great you found an installer that would work with you. The guy at my place wouldn't do squat. The glass was reasonable though. It was $271 installed at that time.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:53 PM   #17
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

I need.

@PDXvolvo on IG
B21FT with a T3/T4, STS coil-overs, T5 trans.
LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:56 PM   #18
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

i need too.
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:21 PM   #19
Brontes II
Board Member

OEM gaskets for the early style windshields are still available through Skandix if you don't mind shipping from EU, or if you have a local shade tree who already does. Same goes for the glass itself, but I'd imagine the tab on mailing that is pretty brutal. The chrome is reusable and the gasket isn't that difficult to replace. Digging all of the old butyl out isn't much fun, but it's doable with a heat gun and patience.

Here an English How-To from the Skandix website: https://www.skandix.de/en/documents/...hield/3000012/
There's also a link for new glass and related installation accessories (gaskets, clips, sealant, primer, etc.) at the bottom of the page.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:09 AM   #20
volvowagoon
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontes II View Post
OEM gaskets for the early style windshields are still available through Skandix if you don't mind shipping from EU, or if you have a local shade tree who already does. Same goes for the glass itself, but I'd imagine the tab on mailing that is pretty brutal. The chrome is reusable and the gasket isn't that difficult to replace. Digging all of the old butyl out isn't much fun, but it's doable with a heat gun and patience.

Here an English How-To from the Skandix website: https://www.skandix.de/en/documents/...hield/3000012/
There's also a link for new glass and related installation accessories (gaskets, clips, sealant, primer, etc.) at the bottom of the page.
This makes me happy. Thanks for posting. I'd hate to lose my chrome trim if/when I decide to have the windshield replaced in our '89.

1986 Buick Grand National - Restored to stock™
2002 Camaro V6 T5 +T - The trashy car that's fun to drive
2010 C30 T5 - The boring but trusty daily - 198k
1989 245 DL - The boring but not trusty daily - 231k
IG: @v6buick
volvowagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:20 PM   #21
Turboschnauzer
Board Member

In the Portland area I would recommend:

http://www.kingsautoglassinc.com/

Ask for Pedro to do the work, he is the owner of the company and does a great job. He has replaced the glass in two of my Volvos and done a great job. In my 85 245 turbo he put the newer style windshield in with the newer style seal and it has been fantastic.
Turboschnauzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:23 PM   #22
Turboschnauzer
Board Member

BTW, cost for windshield replacement was $271.78 (9/15/19)
Turboschnauzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:32 AM   #23
Toybox
mostly lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontes II View Post
Digging all of the old butyl out isn't much fun, but it's doable with a heat gun and patience.
When you get near the end of the job, WD-40 will melt the rest. (Well, it would melt the whole thing, but it turns into a gosh awful mess. Peel away what you can, first.)
Toybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:42 AM   #24
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
When you get near the end of the job, WD-40 will melt the rest. (Well, it would melt the whole thing, but it turns into a gosh awful mess. Peel away what you can, first.)
Goo Gone works really well. I use just a few squirts applied to a paper towel, then wipe until that area of the towel is black, then repeat. Wear gloves and protect the dash & bodywork with masking paper or plastic or old towels or something to keep the black schmoo off of surfaces you care about.

Goo Gone is made out of petroleum distillates and D-limonene, but mineral spirits would likely be a pretty decent substitute too - I doubt it would hurt Volvo enamel paint.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:13 AM   #25
tjanson
Board Member

Is glass really getting scarce now? Ugh. Is it time to buy up new windshields and hoard them in my attic?
tjanson is offline   Reply With Quote