• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Steering Rack Bellows Full of Oil

VolvoScout

Today I attempted to replace the tie rods on my 1982 244 steering rack (I believe its a CAM, but not 100%)

When I removed the bellows, oil spilled out from them. (both passenger and driver sides)
On both sides, there is an exposed pipe that is secured by and goes into the bellow (top of the rack)

Is this normal for this rack, or is this an indication that it needs to be replaced?

Qcw0He2.jpg
[/IMG]

nope not normal the seals in the rack and pinion are intended to keep the power steering fluid within the rack. not a big deal if you keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir. I drove my 245 for more then 100,000 leaking like yours until I no longer wanted to top off the fluid. It is an indication that the rack needs replaced, rebuilt, or resealed.

I haven't done research on these specific racks, but the tube might be for movement of air to prevent pressure build up.

I bet mine has oil in the bellows, as well. If the rack works fine, only the outer seals could be replaced. Do they sell the seals separately?

Last edited:
The greenbook calls for some 'fluid grease' to be injected into the boots but it shouldn't be full. This would assume that the boots are original and have never been replaced since no one ever replaces the grease when changing the boots.

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts/accessories/chemicals-consumables/lubricant/grease-for-steering-rack-225-ml/1049260/

Here's the list of rack seal kits from the quick reference parts book. Most are NLA from Volvo but the part numbers should be good for a cross reference.

SteeringRackKits.jpg

when did people start dropping the "to be" before replaced, repaired, replaced?
seems like I have only seen that in last 5y or so?
A bit jarring, isn't it?
Seems to be a regional thing, with most of the freaks oozing out the "North Midland" / Pittsburgh area, or so says this site:
https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/needs-washed
needswashed.png

Wanna get even more technical?
https://ygdp.yale.edu/phenomena/needs-washed

Personally, I blame it on the advent of cell phone Text-Speak, along with the brain-scrambling effect of leaky 240 steering racks.

The english language is BS, anyway. Its unnecessarily complex. There are many people in the US of A who learn english as a second language. As long as the point of the message is carried across, that is all that should matter. Which is the basic purpose of language, anyway...

All unrelated to the OP's question at hand.

Sorry for dropping the " to be " from my statement. It is a mechanic short hand fault that I have. Completing everything in a flat rate manner has led to some short cuts in my communication skills.

Back