home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 06-01-2021, 10:45 PM   #1
240kjet801

Default Installing a charcoal canister on older 240

Solution for fuel smell near fuel tank

I loved 240 in the last 3 years ago and only last year I managed to get one and do continuous restoration. Itís a k-jet without lambda. However, there is one problem that I have with the older 240 and itís the fuel smell coming from the rear especially after I fill it up with fuel or during hot days. Besides that, I also noticed that if I fill the tank full, I will lost ľ of the fuel the next day especially if I park the car under the sun.

So, I did some modification to solve this issue and Iím very happy with the results. I went to the junkyard and bought a charcoal canister that only have 2 pipes with self-venting feature and also an EVAP purge valve that comes from a Suzuki. One of the pipes is for the connection from the tank and the other one connects to the EVAP purge valve.

I installed the charcoal canister on the bulkhead and since my car is RHD, I installed the canister near the intake side of the engine. I used 8mm copper pipe for the undercarriage and luckily thereís a bracket slot ready for the copper pipe that I connect the vent hose from the fuel tank at one end and hose going to the canister at the other end.
The purge valve is the easiest, the wiring harness I connect it to the auxiliary valve harness since it supplies 12 volts only if the car is running. it should be fine since purge valve doesnít consume high amp. However, on carburetor car, you might need to connect it to a harness that supply 12 volts when key is on accessories. For purging the fuel vapor, I drill a hole on the air filter housing, luckily thereís a provision for a hose connection on top of the air filter housing. I only need to drill the hole but I make sure the hole is big enough for creating a good draft.

After I have done connecting and installing everything then I go for a test drive. The results, no more fuel smell after driving it for hours and I see huge improvement on my fuel economy. Usually if the tank is full before I installed the canister, the fuel economy is terrible. I would only have ĺ fuel left the next day just by having it parked under the sun. but now since the installation, my tank still full after 3 days filling it and driving it for about 100km. Iím sure you wondering if I have any problem filling it after fitting a canister since the vent hose from the tank is now connected to the canister, the answer is NO, its fill up just fine which means its venting fine. I also notice a bit smoother engine, I donít know if the fuel vapor has any contribution on it.
240kjet801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:48 PM   #2
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Well done. You are also removing the fumes from the environment which is a good thing to do. I'm surprised your car didn't have the charcoal canistor from the factory.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:15 PM   #3
lummert
Board Member

Wonder if the car was originally diesel.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:09 AM   #4
240kjet801

Quote:
Originally Posted by lummert View Post
Wonder if the car was originally diesel.
No, its not originally a diesel. i have 2 k-jet 240, one running and the other one as a parts car. both have same setup
Old 06-03-2021, 03:13 AM   #5
240kjet801

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Well done. You are also removing the fumes from the environment which is a good thing to do. I'm surprised your car didn't have the charcoal canistor from the factory.
i believed the charcoal canister was not required in my country in the 80's
Old 06-03-2021, 11:35 AM   #6
Radtap
Board Member

Not related but watch my buddy’s charcoal canister explode in his 850 once, his car was lower and on his way out of his driveway just barely knicked in and it blew into a million pieces. Not a fun clean up
Radtap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:20 PM   #7
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240kjet801 View Post
i believed the charcoal canister was not required in my country in the 80's
So, there aren't catalytic converters on your cars?
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:04 PM   #8
Dirty Rick
Board Member

What year volvo?
If it's a K Jet it certainly was old enough to be past the vented cap era......

And what market was the car produced for?
Old 06-03-2021, 02:55 PM   #9
Khrrck
Professional Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rick View Post
Since OP has location listed as Brunei, a fair guess would be Southeast Asia - but possibly an import from Japan or Australia.
Navigating the Siskiyous in a 3 wheeled Volvo will not end well.
Khrrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:58 PM   #10
johfraser
Board Member

There may be a fuel leak in the filler pipe connections or the fuel line to the engine. When parked in hot weather, the heat will expand the air in the tank and force more fuel out any leak. The leaked fuel may be evaporating as fast as it leaks out so you don't see it. What country and year was the car originally sold in and what engine (such as 2.1L, 2.0L, etc.)? Also, the VIN number would be most useful.

Last edited by johfraser; 06-03-2021 at 03:05 PM..
johfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:08 AM   #11
240kjet801

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
So, there aren't catalytic converters on your cars?
no, no catalytic converter fitted from factory. but i'm planning to install one in the near future
Old 06-12-2021, 04:12 AM   #12
240kjet801

Quote:
Originally Posted by johfraser View Post
There may be a fuel leak in the filler pipe connections or the fuel line to the engine. When parked in hot weather, the heat will expand the air in the tank and force more fuel out any leak. The leaked fuel may be evaporating as fast as it leaks out so you don't see it. What country and year was the car originally sold in and what engine (such as 2.1L, 2.0L, etc.)? Also, the VIN number would be most useful.
Well, i did checked the fuel lines after i drove the car for hours and what i found out it fuel vapour can be seen flowing out from the vent line. i dont know if there is a problem inside the fuel tank vent pipe resulting very visible fuel vapour from the venting hose. there's no fuel smell from the front of the car towards the back except i can smell fuel from the left side rear wheel arch where the factory vent hose is located

My car is 1988 volvo 240 K jet with b200e engine
Old 06-12-2021, 04:14 AM   #13
240kjet801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khrrck View Post
Since OP has location listed as Brunei, a fair guess would be Southeast Asia - but possibly an import from Japan or Australia.
i'm not too sure but emission package was not fitted to my car from the factory as its very rare to see k jet cars here in my country. even old mercedes comes with carbs and fews only came with k jet
Old 06-12-2021, 04:15 AM   #14
240kjet801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rick View Post
What year volvo?
If it's a K Jet it certainly was old enough to be past the vented cap era......

its a 1988 240 gle with b200e engine. im not so sure how a vented cap looks like. mine is the one with red coloured cap.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:32 PM   #15
Khrrck
Professional Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240kjet801 View Post
its a 1988 240 gle with b200e engine. im not so sure how a vented cap looks like. mine is the one with red coloured cap.
I believe those are the vented ones. In the US we have not used them for many years.
Khrrck is offline   Reply With Quote