home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 05-18-2021, 01:10 PM   #1
Benjam83
Moar Volvos than Queen B

Default '93 240: Water leaking from the top of the A-pillar (no sunroof)

Ok, so the title pretty much sums it up. I've got a non-sunroof car. We're in the middle a week of solid rain, and I'm DDing it right now. I've got water leaking into the cabin, at the top of the A-pillar interior panel, running down the A-pillar. I'm pretty much assuming that my windshield is leaking....so that's one thing. It's still got the original windshield, amazingly. And I'd like to keep it that way. What is the general consensus on re-sealing the windshield....the right way? I swung by the local auto-glass place and they recommended a body shop take a look at it. But I wanted to consult the brain-trust here. There's no visible rust around the windshield.

I've found thing one that just talks about the different windshields and molding...which is fairly useful.
https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?p=5231132

And then, here's the molding that can be had here. The roll butyl stuff that's supposed to seal the glass to the frame can be had separately...
https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p...0/3540053.html

Google searches yielded some results from "water leaking into the cabin"...from people with sunroofs....will a non-sunroof car still have the drains that need to get un-clogged?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance...

12 WRX Hatchback
10 Subaru Outback
93 245 m47
Benjam83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:18 PM   #2
Homer
OEMplus++

Ben, I had the same issue on my 90 with the original windshield. You COULD replace the sealant, that was the issue with mine. I ended up just ordering a new windshield from volvo and having it replaced.
Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:40 PM   #3
Khrrck
Professional Amateur

I have the same issue and it's definitely a leaky windshield.
Navigating the Siskiyous in a 3 wheeled Volvo will not end well.
Khrrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:57 PM   #4
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

That is the spot that was leaking on my 93 windshield before I had the glass replaced. Your windshield being original was installed with the butyl tape which is good for a diy person. You can use a piece of cable like a brake cable from a bike and cut the old windshield out with it. Make two loop handles and wear gloves so you can pull pretty hard. A nice warm day will soften that stuff up. Don't lose the small rubber spacer blocks that you place at the bottom of t he windshield. Take your time and it's best to have a helper work the glass with you. Be gentle it's very easy to crack the glass and then your into a new windshield.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:56 AM   #5
Benjam83
Moar Volvos than Queen B

Thanks guys...Not the answer I wanted, but the answer I needed...

Definitely weighing how important the original windshield is to me...I think it's cool that it's the original...but not having water run into my car is even cooler...
Benjam83 is offline   Reply With Quote