home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 01-27-2022, 12:32 PM   #76
dmg4
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjanson View Post
Just keep the poor thing out of the upstate salt
No worries. It's in my garage and off the road for Dec, Jan, and Feb every year. When it ventures out at all during those months, it's only when the roads are dry and only for test runs. The head will come out next week, so it won't be going anywhere until the new head is installed and tested.
dmg4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:14 PM   #77
JE Jr
Board Member

Before you shave the head, make sure it has not been shaved before, I mean car is soon 30years...

If I recall correctly it is suppoaed to be 146.1mm between headgasket surface and valve cover gasket surface as stock.

White car: --744 GLE ´88-- Polishing object
Black car: --S80 V8 ´07-- Daily driver
www.garaget.org/JE_Jr
JE Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:20 PM   #78
dmg4
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE Jr View Post
Before you shave the head, make sure it has not been shaved before, I mean car is soon 30years...

If I recall correctly it is suppoaed to be 146.1mm between headgasket surface and valve cover gasket surface as stock.
Will do.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:33 PM   #79
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

I would suggest you read up about tight squish if you are going to remove the head. It will help avoid the chance of detonation with the higher than stock compression from shaving the head.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:47 AM   #80
dmg4
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
I would suggest you read up about tight squish if you are going to remove the head. It will help avoid the chance of detonation with the higher than stock compression from shaving the head.
I read until I felt squishy. Planing the head .040" and using the OEM headgasket should raise static compression from about 9.8 to 10.2:1. I hope that's not something that should result in knock with the VX cam and reasonable timing. Unless I wanted to also resurface the block (more than I'd care to do right now), my options would seem to be reducing headgasket thickness, which would seem to be the same as shaving more off the head resulting in higher compression. Where does it end?

I'm probably missing something here. What is it? Perhaps I should just fuel it with 93 octane and declare victory.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:22 AM   #81
dmg4
Board Member

*BING* The lightbulb is lit!

OK, got it: aim to get the piston tops closer to the head for optimal cooling of the piston tops by either resurfacing the block or using a modestly thinner headgasket. I just found and read a wonderfully entertaining pissing match on this forum over the terms "squish" and "quench". Thank you, John V, outside agitator for enlightenment.

Sometimes dawn comes late in my part of the world.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:08 AM   #82
rb92673
Board Member

Turbo would be more fun. After all this is TURBObricks, not NormallyAspiratedBricks. =)
rb92673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 11:51 AM   #83
dmg4
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb92673 View Post
Turbo would be more fun. After all this is TURBObricks, not NormallyAspiratedBricks. =)
Think of it as a Special Olympics for Volvos.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:38 PM   #84
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

Glad you got the idea of the tight squish/quench. You won't need to deck the block. Just measure the piston height and calculate the head gasket thickness needed. The MLS head gaskets are available in several thicknesses. This helps a lot with detonation resistance and efficiency of combustion.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:19 PM   #85
shoestring
Board Member

They're nowhere near 9.8:1 as delivered. Mine measured out to 9.1:1. After a 0.040" mill and stock head gasket, it's 9.8:1. I use a V cam and feed it a steady diet of Shell 87 (R+M)/2 and have no detonation issues. Using 93 netted no measurable improvements of any kind.
I AM THE MODAL AMERICAN. Planet money #936.
shoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:15 PM   #86
dmg4
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoestring View Post
They're nowhere near 9.8:1 as delivered. Mine measured out to 9.1:1. After a 0.040" mill and stock head gasket, it's 9.8:1. I use a V cam and feed it a steady diet of Shell 87 (R+M)/2 and have no detonation issues. Using 93 netted no measurable improvements of any kind.
That seems quite a difference from an advertised spec. Was this taken on a new car following delivery and break-in, and are you confident that it's representative of the breed? And was this a turbo or NA car?

Anyone else lurking here have a similar or different experience???? I guess I could measure compression on my motor now for a reference point, but that would only indicate absolute compression on a motor and head with 150K miles, and before a valve job and shaving.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:35 PM   #87
esmth
Board Member

I've also measured two uncut late NA 530 heads (93 and 94 castings) at 54cc and change which math's out to the low 9's to 1 depending on the piston height.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:27 PM   #88
shoestring
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg4 View Post
That seems quite a difference from an advertised spec. Was this taken on a new car following delivery and break-in, and are you confident that it's representative of the breed? And was this a turbo or NA car?

Anyone else lurking here have a similar or different experience???? I guess I could measure compression on my motor now for a reference point, but that would only indicate absolute compression on a motor and head with 150K miles, and before a valve job and shaving.
I've measured enough piston dishes and combustion chambers to know this is absolutely representative. NA car. I concur that a 530 year is about 54cc. Normally a hair more. NA piston dish is 8cc, turbo is 16.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:42 PM   #89
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoestring View Post
Yup
I’m pretty sure Volvo left out the HG volume when they did the calculation for publication.

My experience with 87 vs 91 may be different (it overall doesn’t really matter), but the CR thing is real 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotahead View Post
That's why you give blowies with a mouth full of Listerine, sanitizes the sausage and leaves everyone with a fresh clean wintergreen taste or scent!
Quote:
Originally Posted by megulon-7 View Post
Sigh…. It leads to the hard stuff. Hot sauce or I can’t get off now.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 12:03 AM   #90
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
Yup
I’m pretty sure Volvo left out the HG volume when they did the calculation for publication.

My experience with 87 vs 91 may be different (it overall doesn’t really matter), but the CR thing is real 100%
Anyone know about the higher comp B23F engines? I have one in my 83, it's apparently 10.3:1, but maybe they also left out the HG?
OldCarNewTricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 12:28 AM   #91
2manyturbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCarNewTricks View Post
Anyone know about the higher comp B23F engines? I have one in my 83, it's apparently 10.3:1, but maybe they also left out the HG?
Those run a flat top piston. That is what increases the compression ratio.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 01:14 AM   #92
HiSPL
Fanking Champion 1993

Quote:
*BING* The lightbulb is lit!

OK, got it: aim to get the piston tops closer to the head for optimal cooling of the piston tops by either resurfacing the block or using a modestly thinner headgasket. I just found and read a wonderfully entertaining pissing match on this forum over the terms "squish" and "quench". Thank you, John V, outside agitator for enlightenment.

Sometimes dawn comes late in my part of the world.
How I miss John V.

He's a weird one, but that particular Mr Grinch certainly knew his sh1t.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando
Tinnitus and hearing loss? Sounds like your ears could tolerate some Bose 901s!
96 960 (rotted)
88 244
06 XC90 V8
03 V70(crashed)
92 745 Turbo
HiSPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:23 AM   #93
shoestring
Board Member

Quote:
Yup

Interesting. I always wondered if it was a "highest possible result" given maximum allowable tolerances like deck height and the 0.5mm cleanup they allow on the head. Like you said though, it doesn't really matter.

The truth is out there. Just like on X-Files.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:59 AM   #94
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
Those run a flat top piston. That is what increases the compression ratio.
I remembered that, I'm just curious if somone has done a CC fluid test on the B23F heads to check for spot on accuracy. I do recall my compression readings being pretty high when I did a comp test.
OldCarNewTricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 02:33 PM   #95
dmg4
Board Member

Just for fun, I warmed up the engine and ran a compression test.

1= 132 psi
2= 138 psi
3= 138 psi
4= 140 psi

Assuming an atmospheric pressure of 14.696 psi, a 9.1:1 compression ratio works out to 133.7 psi

It fits.

Not bad for an engine with 145,000 miles. I'll post the new numbers after the head is shaved.
Old 01-29-2022, 10:37 PM   #96
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Those are really low numbers for cranking pressure on a warm NA motor.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 05:19 AM   #97
dmg4
Board Member

Quote:
What am I missing in my assumptions? A temperature effect of compression in PV=nRT? It was a "dry" test (no oil added to cylinders).

Last edited by dmg4; 01-30-2022 at 08:30 AM..
Old 01-30-2022, 10:47 AM   #98
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Quote:
Even with a VX cam?
Old 01-30-2022, 12:57 PM   #99
dmg4
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwazywazy View Post
Even with a VX cam?
Why would that matter? Aren't both valves closed the time that the maximum pressure is reached, or is there overlap that results in one being open on the compression stroke?
Old 01-30-2022, 01:20 PM   #100
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Quote:
Why would that matter? Aren't both valves closed the time that the maximum pressure is reached, or is there overlap that results in one being open on the compression stroke?
It matters. My engine makes like 120psi cranking compression with the IPD turbo cam. A stock stock one would make 160+
Cwazywazy is offline   Reply With Quote