• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

How a G80 locker works.

amgvr4

I found this interesting video of how the G80s in our Volvos work. Its no wonder that they are so prone to braking, they are a lot more complex than a normal clutch type diff and the parts are much less robust. Its a informative video non the less.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tTGZOJQQBeE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I keep forgetting to ask if they have replacement clutch packs at the dealership. Anyone know off hand?

I have a G80 in my car that barely works. You can feel it lock up if you jack the rear end up and spin one tire fast enough, but on the road it doesn't lock up enough to spin both wheels, even on a wet road. I'm assuming it's a worn clutch pack.

I got another G80 from the pick-n-pull, but it was from a 220K mile car, so I'm assuming it would probably need new clutches too? I guess it depends on how much winter drivnig it got, and how lead footed the driver was.

I keep forgetting to ask if they have replacement clutch packs at the dealership. Anyone know off hand?

I have a G80 in my car that barely works. You can feel it lock up if you jack the rear end up and spin one tire fast enough, but on the road it doesn't lock up enough to spin both wheels, even on a wet road. I'm assuming it's a worn clutch pack.

I got another G80 from the pick-n-pull, but it was from a 220K mile car, so I'm assuming it would probably need new clutches too? I guess it depends on how much winter drivnig it got, and how lead footed the driver was.

I'm in the same boat. Maybe we should have a G80 rebuild party. I'll bring the beer.

I see part numbers available for them. There are 2 different clutch packs though, a L and R.
L 6814610
R 6843374
This is for a 1041 differential. Looks like they are about $65/side

Attachments

• diff.JPG
    diff.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
The interesting thing is that the G80 is what comes from the factory all GM trucks. I also ran across a bunch of people who take volvo g80s and put them in their jeeps.

I can't see any wear on the plates I've looked at. They still show some texture, at least. had at least 3 of them open, all from the junkyard of course.

The one in the lemons car failed. the shaft with the governor weight ejected out the side of the carrier through the open window. 1wd after that. Lots of metal paste inside, and some small bits and one mangled spring. the other shaft had one tooth missing on the gear at one end. modified another g80, dropped it in, working good again.

I still don't quite get how the engagement pawl is moving the ramp plate. Is the shaft that it rides on engaging with those small teeth on the outside of the plate?

I still don't quite get how the engagement pawl is moving the ramp plate.
Is the shaft that it rides on engaging with those small teeth on the outside of the plate?
Yes.
Pawl/actuator function starts at 2:16
How it locks starts at 3:46

<iframe width="1012" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tTGZOJQQBeE" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No LSD additive for a G80, if you do use some it won't work, it will slip. Might be yours and your problems... Only thing breaks I've seen like stated above that little paw gear thing.

Back