• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Tools to Tighten Top Strut Nut

VolvoScout

What hand tools do I need to tighten the top strut nut? (photo attached)
I'm assuming it'd have to be either an offset 24mm socket or wrench (no hardware or automotive store had anything locally) + an (8mm?) wrench.

I tried using my air tool with a socket, but the entire strut cartridge just spins with the nut (It's mostly there, just needs to be tightened down a hair more to take up the play) and I can hear clunks going over bumps or hitting the brakes on my Driver side. (Passenger side is tight)

I also tried using a Schwaben strut nut tool (part of tool is "cut away") and a small wrench, but it just seemed like it was going to start stripping the top of the strut.

Someone, locally recommended that I place a vice grip just under the spring cap and hold that while using the air gun...tried that but the strut just spun inside the vice grip.

Any other techniques?

z0J2zWJ.png
[/IMG]

Is there a washer under the nut? It sounds like it's missing and the nut is hitting the stop on the strut shaft before getting tight on the bearing. You can usually just hit it with an impact gun and tighten the nut without the factory tools although it's not recommended.

I have the factory tools available to rent if you think you need them.

http://hiperformanceautoservice.com/images/StrutNutTools1.jpg
StrutNutTools1.jpg

Yeah, the washer is under the nut.

I've taken this strut assembly apart several times (replacing bushings, cartridges, etc...) and this is the first time I've had trouble fully tightening the nut.

What's the size tool, 5037?

Could something like this be used?
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...-socket-1-2-inch-drive-6-12-point/pfm0/w84009

5037 measures 11mm across the flats.

I don't think that tool has enough offset. Harbor freight used to sell an offset box wrench that would work but I don't see one large enough on their site anymore.

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-metric-offset-box-wrench-set-32042.html

I put a 3/8 drive extension with the right socket for the shaft, through a 1/2 drive socket that fit the nut. I held the nut with the 1/2 socket and turned the shaft[CCW] with the 3/8 drive.

I tried using my air tool with a socket, but the entire strut cartridge just spins with the nut
Don't just squash the trigger and watch it spin. Use quick little blips that will knock the nut forward a bit before the shaft even has a chance to start spinning. Inertia is your friend.

Someone, locally recommended that I place a vice grip just under the spring cap and hold that while using the air gun...tried that but the strut just spun inside the vice grip.
Let's see your vise grips. Good fresh sharp teeth? Good quality tool? Or cheap no-name knockoff wobbly dull POS?

Any other techniques?
As mentioned above, drive the buzz gun with short sharp blips. You want to magnify the impact aspect of the air impact wrench.

Back