• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Water pump pulley compatibility

rearwheelpeel

Slow Learner
Are all year 240 water pump pulleys the same? I want to get one to have powder coated, or maybe get the aluminum one that KL racing sells. I?ll be putting it onto a 1976 b21.

There are a few different diameters used throughout the 8v engines.
There are also some that are reinforced at the hub (good!).

I prefer the large diameter and reinforced pulleys for racing. What you have should be the large diameter, the turbo engines got a smaller diameter pulley for more water pump flow (not needed IMO).

I prefer the large diameter and reinforced pulleys for racing. What you have should be the large diameter, the turbo engines got a smaller diameter pulley for more water pump flow (not needed IMO).

would the introduction of an underdrive pulley at the crank influence that thought at all?

would the introduction of an underdrive pulley at the crank influence that thought at all?

I still use the larger diameter water pump pulley with an under drive crank setup.

Check out some of the Smokey Yunick setups. They?re like 1.5-2:1 reductions for the water pump.

The turbo rally car sits at 210-220f when held at 25psi and full load for 10-15min using an under drive crank and large diameter WP pulley with a mechanical fan setup.

Small pulley is good for the 700Ts that would idle with the A/C on in their day with a lot of heat soak with the water cooled turbo/same size radiator etc.
Only came on the B230FT cars.
Lot of overheats on those in routine use.

That said, the small pulley cost me a couple heater cores over 4500RPM & isn't really helping.

B230 have a larger crank pulley than B21/B23. The non-reinforced & couple years only ~late 82-early 84 pulleys I've seen shatter...sometimes?
Only those years...not sure what happened there? :lol:

Tropical fan clutch + pusher fan at idle is about max traction & surface area/grip of alt + WP about equal to the B21/23 crank pulley with everything in good shape/stock dual belts. :e-shrug:

Last edited:
Small pulley is good for the 700Ts that would idle with the A/C on in their day with a lot of heat soak with the water cooled turbo/same size radiator etc.
Only came on the B230FT cars.
Lot of overheats on those in routine use.

That said, the small pulley cost me a couple heater cores over 4500RPM & isn't really helping.

B230 have a larger crank pulley than B21/B23. The non-reinforced & couple years only ~late 82-early 84 pulleys I've seen shatter...sometimes?
Only those years...not sure what happened there? :lol:

Tropical fan clutch + pusher fan at idle is about max traction & surface area/grip of alt + WP about equal to the B21/23 crank pulley with everything in good shape/stock dual belts. :e-shrug:

:nod:

+1 unless you want to lose your mind doing the Dbarton 4 speed E-fan thing.

Speaking of which did he ever get that working right?

I had an early wp pulley shatter and f!#$ some stuff up, it cut the mechanical oil pressure gauge line I had and the cam seized in the head. I now have the thicker WP pulley from a 940T.

So what type of pulley should I be looking for? I’m not working towards any performance gains (yet) but if there is a “beefier” pulley I could use I with my current set up I’d be ok with that. I’m really just trying to clean my engine bay up and make stuff shiny for now, but I also don’t want to spend money on powder coating something that could shatter if I do decide to up the power later on.

Back