• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Need help: V60 CAN-bus seats in 960

rijk

Found a pair of very nice, manual V60 seats for installing in my 1993 960. Only electrical functions on these seats are heating and lumbar support. Problem is that it is all CAN-bus controlled. But I guess I am certainly not the first trying to install these CAN-bus seats in a classic Volvo. In particular I need to figure out which color contact (pict) is intended for which function. I was told that the big black one (top left) is for the heating. And the orange/yellow for the airbag that I will not use in my '93 960. I replace the safety belt lock by the stock one that sits in the 960. One issue solved.
My original plan was to bypass the controller and connect a relay to control each motor. But before taking apart the whole seat upholstery in order to find the right wires for heating and lumbar motor to connect with a relais, I think it is easier to know exactly what color connectors run towards heating and lumbar motor. So I can use the supplied original plugs to connect relais and switches. The wiring of these V60 seats is pretty well tucked away. Quite different from the wiring of the 28 year old electrically operated seats of my 960. Shame to unravel all those solidly bound threads. Besides the OWS, there is only one controller (for the heating, as far as I can see). Please help

z4rCqdx.jpg

NNW3RwT.jpg

Last edited:
I would bypass the controller and feed analog commands into the output circuits. I have done that in the past with climate, sunroof and headlight controllers on different cars. Electrically it is not that difficult, making everything look nice takes more time.

Thanks! Finally that will be the only way to make things work. But until then I'm still looking for the destination of each colored contact. It seems impossible, if not totally impossible to find someone who can explain that.

Thank you so much, Mike. This indeed requires some delving into the matter. An overwhelming amount of information a.o. about Volvo's built in this century. Just by looking at the amount of built in electronic control modules (V60, 2015), makes me glad that I own Volvo's from the 900 series...

rZZtoGy.png

Last edited:
I'm off work until next Thursday, but I could look them up for you. Don't start probing things. Hit the wrong one and you might set off the seats air bag.

I can tell you the green one is for the seat belt catch.

Other things off the top of my head that will be powered in there- air bag will have one, Occupant weight sensor (OWS), seat heater module (I think this has its own connection there, as it is LIN networked off the CCM).

I *think* that you may be able to power the module, and it will still control the seat motors. I *believe* the only reason the CAN is there, is for the memory seat functions. Seat heaters are powered by a module under there and is controlled on the LIN network from the CCM (Climate control). The seat heaters are temperature adjusted by PWM to each pad. The pad has a feed back circuit with a temp sensor to tell the module what temp the seat pad is.

Thank you so much, Mike. This indeed requires some delving into the matter. An overwhelming amount of information a.o. about Volvo's built in this century. Just by looking at the amount of built in electronic control modules (V60, 2015), makes me glad that I own Volvo's from the 900 series...

rZZtoGy.png

Pretty bad that I could tell you almost all of those (only missing the ones not used in my market).

That is probably a 1/3 of the modules used in the SPA cars.

I'm off work until next Thursday, but I could look them up for you. Don't start probing things. Hit the wrong one and you might set off the seats air bag.

Thank you very much Jordan. Yes, I've been warned about that risk. More than happy to wait for your information, though. The 960, mapped, balanced suspension, ready to hit the road, sits in a shop in Sweden for already three months. Because of the negative travel advice for that country, unfortunately I can only pick up the car when that changes. So I am in no hurry.

I can tell you the green one is for the seat belt catch.

That is according to the information I received earlier. The guy who told me that wasn't sure he got it right. He assumed that the grey one (bottom left) is for the OWS. The big black one (top left) for the seat heaters.
My local dealer told me that none of the seat functions operate on battery voltage. So my idea is to connect the heater pads to a PWM controller (DC Motor Speed Control PWM Controller 6 V-30 V 5A 13 KHz) and determine the correct temperature by hand. The small black contact could be for the lumbar support motor. A second PWM controller should feed that motor. Incidentally, I wonder if that motor just works on 12 volts.

I guess this is the seat heater module (pict)? No clue how to connect which wire color.

k34TrVp.jpg

I *think* that you may be able to power the module, and it will still control the seat motors.

Just one motor (lumbar support) in my seat?

The seat heaters are temperature adjusted by PWM to each pad. The pad has a feed back circuit with a temp sensor to tell the module what temp the seat pad is.

Would be nice to maintain the temp controller, one way or the other. So the power supply will be interrupted when the preset temperature is reached.

I hope US, Canadian and European 2016 V60's all use the same color code wiring... :-)

Have a nice weekend!

I've never seen a manual seat before. What is on the side? It has electric lumbar and that is it? Strange lol.

Cooler

Yes, I agree. Why everything manual, except for the lumbar support? Probably it is a matter of production costs. An entirely manual seat would possibly be more expensive to produce, I guess. The switch (pict) sits on the (door)side of each seat. The reason I decided to change the heavy stock electrical seats for the manual V60 sport seats is to gain support and safe weight. Besides they are amazingly comfortable and look way cooler. And, also without any functioning electrical functions, they are a perfect fit in the grey and black interior of the 960.

kitkGj9.jpg

Last edited:
Did you...

Hi Jordan, did you find the time to check it at work? I am very curious :-)

Hi Jordan, is your offer still standing? I really would like to install the seats by now. Thanks.

Sorry I'm still not back at work. I don't know that I will be in the near future. I tried to find an online wiring diagram, but I can't find one.

Sorry,

jordan

Back