• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

How much boost can I run?

CooperV

So I have a 1987 Volvo 760 turbo intercooler, and I know my car has the smaller rods. But I?m wondering how much boost it is safe to run until I get a engine with the bigger rods? Is 12-13 psi still safe?

In before how PSI a stock can support.

If your car is at a good stage zero state, running healthy and you run quality premium fuel, running 13 psi *should* be safe. I would invest in getting a second o2 sensor bung welded to the lower part of your downpipe and running a wideband gauge so you can monitor your AFRs.

So I have a 1987 Volvo 760 turbo intercooler, and I know my car has the smaller rods. But I?m wondering how much boost it is safe to run until I get a engine with the bigger rods? Is 12-13 psi still safe?

if your car is filthy inside with a bunch of fastfood wrappers in it stock 6lbs of boost is too much. if your grandma drove it 69k miles, then died and gave it to you then you can run 25psi on stock internals until you blow it up.

plug the hose and run all the boost!

The rods will bend something about 250hp, which can be make at 13psi or a 24psi, so it is kinda hp thing, not boost thing.
It depends lot's of what head you had and what cam you had etc etc. But i say if it's totally original i won't run it above 15psi.

It?s a torque thing. HP is torque times speed. Boost spikes at low speed fo more damage, as well as hard detonating at low/mid speeds.

In proper stage zero I wouldn't run a small rod engine over about 11-12psi. Those engines also have the worst pistons for wear and causing slap. As suggested above get a wideband O2 gauge to monitor the engine mixture.

The rods will bend something about 250hp, which can be make at 13psi or a 24psi, so it is kinda hp thing, not boost thing.
It depends lot's of what head you had and what cam you had etc etc. But i say if it's totally original i won't run it above 15psi.

I bet you I can bend a rod at 108hp

Back