• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

15x7 wheels on an Amazon

spock345

Has anyone run 15x7 wheels on an Amazon? I've tried looking around for some used 15x6 or 15x5 steel wheels that look period correct with a close enough offset in my area. I seem to come across suitable 15x7 wheels more often.

As far as I can tell I can still run 195/65r15 (or maybe 205/60) tires on a 15x7. Is there anything to worry about with rubbing that would necessitate spacers? Any adverse effects on the handling or steering?

A 205 at factory offset would likely rub the sway bar near full lock. Outside clearance should be a non-issue.

Steering will be noticeably heavier at low speeds but nothing to be concerned about.

MOPAR 15X7 Cop Car Rally Wheels + Dog Dish Caps Set of 4 Ralley Rallye

s-l1600.jpg

That combined with the steering effort has me debating the VP 5.5" wheels. A 185 or 195 seems right to me. Putting a 185 on a stock 4" wheel seems a bit off. Also 165s relatively difficult to find.

I am wondering if these are still available. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=345847

The width of the wheel isn?t going to matter much if you?re still considering a 195 tire. Just get the wheels you want. The steering won?t be unbearable with a 205. That steering wheel is way too huge to ever be hard to turn.

I had 185's on the stock wheels or wagon ones. They balloon out a bit and are shorter but they did grip a lot better that the stock tires. 185 60 15 i think i had.

I've been on the look out for wagon wheels. Finding a complete set seems to be a challenge.

I think 185/65r15 is the usual culprit. I've seen those pop up online a lot. 185/70r15 matches the diameter of the 165s almost perfectly but also hard to come by.

195-65-15 is right for these cars in today's traffic.

That said if you had a good wheel shop that could put 6" 700 steel barrels on your vintage 15" hubs @20-25et you'd be golden.

I currently have 15x7.5 widened stock steelies on mine with Hankook 225/45ZR15s on them
They fit fine, no rubbing, and they handle great. Parking lot turning honestly feels about the same as it always has. I original had 15x6.5, then went to 15x5.5, and now 15x7.5 and they all felt about the same at parking lot speeds.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=6037977&postcount=233

Last edited:
15x7 on both alloy wheels and banded steels with 205/60/15 here. I do have to say the steel wheels with all that mass to the outside make the handling noticeably worse then originally designed, you may not feel it if you just putt around town in your car but if you start to drive it like you stole it you'll definitely notice a difference from say a set of 5.5s with 185s mounted. The alloy wheels on the other hand manage the weight placement much better and feel more like 5.5s with 185s. The deeper the dish though the more weight you are putting to the outside which was never built into the design of the suspension or the steering. Optimal performance in my opinion would be a 6 inch alloy wheel with 185 or 195 tires but if you want steel wheels the 5.5s are your best bet. 7 inch steel wheels on a vague old domestic machine works just fine but it's really just too much for our cars imho.

Back