home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > website & board

Old 09-14-2021, 06:02 PM   #26
brickyard92
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by white855T View Post
I always hear people say 'This car has been stripped' but I never understand why they say that. Even after the initial first week of picking, there are plenty of parts leftover. The local junkyards that have the only 240s, I've gone back like 10 time at least. If you're looking for special parts like floor mats or gauges, I think those days are long gone unless you're in Cali. I travel to junkyards all over the place. Some as far 300 miles. But I always end up finding cars that haven't even been picked.
A car that's is picked is subjective to what you're looking for. If you find one or two parts that you want then it was worth the trip!! Unless you have a barn or lots of space in your garage or a shed it's only so many parts you can hoard.
I have owned Volvos for almost 20 years and the only extra parts I have on hand (and I have a medium size shed) are 3 instrument clusters for 740/940 and lots of small cosmetic parts.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:06 AM   #27
fatcatbestcat
Professional Hack

There used to be a small private yard up near Ottawa with a lot of really old iron, late 140/160s to early 80s 200s and a few early 700s. I think the ad is still up on Kijiji, but the guy owning it is still using pictures from 1994. It's all rusty junk now and none of it is really usable. I don't know why he still advertises parts...

Same guy is still trying to sell a '74 164E, which he refuses to send newer pictures for. Literally, the pics in that ad are the same as from when I was still in high school.

I found a few 90+ RWD cars in a JY before but they're usually picked clean well before I get there.

-------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblockpowered View Post
Will you do $14.99 shipped?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IansPlatinum View Post
please no more prying things with screwdrivers and bashing things with hammers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwazywazy View Post
my balls have more wrinkles than my brain
--------------------------------------------

-1967 144S
-1983 245 Diesel
fatcatbestcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:10 PM   #28
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

The salvage yard 240s dried up here over ten years ago. At least that's when it seemed there were hardly any cars coming in to the yards. As a hoarder I am fortunate to have plenty of parts. However, when I try to sell some no one comes through and actually buys anything. Just lots of tire kickers and talk.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:17 PM   #29
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Still quite a few RWD Volvos in our yards, but JY prices are up and demand for parts is down.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna sprout?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:08 PM   #30
Radtap
Board Member

My local yards in Az still somewhat consistently getting 240s and they’ll sit here for 3-4 months before being crushed. A vast majority of them have absolutely no body damage so either ended up there from mechanical issues or someone just doesn’t want it anymore. My yards won’t sell off the whole car though
Radtap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:43 PM   #31
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radtap View Post
My local yards in Az still somewhat consistently getting 240s and they’ll sit here for 3-4 months before being crushed. A vast majority of them have absolutely no body damage so either ended up there from mechanical issues or someone just doesn’t want it anymore. My yards won’t sell off the whole car though

Once the blower motor quits or the AC goes out in the desert ....

Old 09-27-2021, 09:06 PM   #32
HiSPL
Fanking Champion 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post

Once the blower motor quits or the AC goes out in the desert ....

How true.

Grandpa's car after Grandpa dies. No AC and is loud and has no power seats. Junk it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando
Tinnitus and hearing loss? Sounds like your ears could tolerate some Bose 901s!
88 244
06 XC90 V8
03 V70
HiSPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:34 AM   #33
oldnfast
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
The salvage yard 240s dried up here over ten years ago. At least that's when it seemed there were hardly any cars coming in to the yards. As a hoarder I am fortunate to have plenty of parts. However, when I try to sell some no one comes through and actually buys anything. Just lots of tire kickers and talk.
If you think Volvo guys are tire kickers and talkers, and they are
Try Saab guys. They are the ****ing worst 😂
oldnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:08 PM   #34
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnfast View Post
If you think Volvo guys are tire kickers and talkers, and they are
Try Saab guys. They are the ****ing worst ��
Vw and bimmers guys are at the top of list. How many saab enthusiast are there really. Also, I'd like to make it point that meeting local people blows. You always have to meet on their schedule for the parts they want.
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:18 AM   #35
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

I used to have as large a hoard of air cooled VW stuff as Volvo. The experiences I've had with VW people buying parts is worthy of a book of short stories.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 02:06 PM   #36
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Vw and bimmers guys are at the top of list. How many saab enthusiast are there really. Also, I'd like to make it point that meeting local people blows. You always have to meet on their schedule for the parts they want.

AND WAIT AROUND FOR LAZY BASTARDS THAT DON'T SHOW UP!

Letterman's 10 Best Reasons to Nix a TB Deal
Old 10-09-2021, 10:59 AM   #37
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

Don't forget LS swap guys. They take the "I know what I've got" to the hundredth power of ridiculous.

When I sold my excess parts off for cheap, there was this one guy that I drove to meet halfway, only to be filmed by the GoPro on his chest without my permission. Every guy is just trying to get YouTube famous!

Had another guy buying a 4.8 from me, just to continually ask me "is it worth it? Should I buy it? I don't know..." Maybe think this over before coming out to look at parts
OldCarNewTricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 08:45 PM   #38
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCarNewTricks View Post
Don't forget LS swap guys. They take the "I know what I've got" to the hundredth power of ridiculous.

When I sold my excess parts off for cheap, there was this one guy that I drove to meet halfway, only to be filmed by the GoPro on his chest without my permission. Every guy is just trying to get YouTube famous!

Had another guy buying a 4.8 from me, just to continually ask me "is it worth it? Should I buy it? I don't know..." Maybe think this over before coming out to look at parts
Rookie mistake. Never drive to meet anyone you haven't met before. It will be a complete waste of time. Have them come to you always. I had a guy that was just thowing out the numbers that he wanted to pay and then he wanted me to drive a 100 miles to meet him(he was 150 miles away). I told him I would meet halfway if I received full payment first. He said something along the lines "I'm old skool, I don't mess with any of that online sh**". Serious buyers have no problem driving to get the parts they want. If there is ever a red flag, just move on. That is just the nature of the business in dealing with car parts.
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:26 PM   #39
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Rookie mistake. Never drive to meet anyone you haven't met before. It will be a complete waste of time. Have them come to you always. I had a guy that was just thowing out the numbers that he wanted to pay and then he wanted me to drive a 100 miles to meet him(he was 150 miles away). I told him I would meet halfway if I received full payment first. He said something along the lines "I'm old skool, I don't mess with any of that online sh**". Serious buyers have no problem driving to get the parts they want. If there is ever a red flag, just move on. That is just the nature of the business in dealing with car parts.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:10 PM   #40
morrisamazon
Board Member

At this moment at the Orlando, FL U Pull U Pay...
Volvo 240 1992
https://upullandpay.com/orlando/search-inventory/

morrisamazon is offline   Reply With Quote