• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16G on a RWD?

The 16G turbine flange won't fit a Volvo manifold. The easiest way to make it work would be to find a Volvo TD05 turbine housing & have it machined to fit the 16G TD05H Turbine wheel.

Last edited:
I have an Evo3 16g6 on my car, with a Volvo TD05 housing machined to fit the TD05H wheel. It rips. Will be for sale in a month or less.

Mines got a 16g .. machined into it .. it is way cool and suits the car down to the ground.
NZ$1500 full turbo recon, 16g fitted, fitted to car and dyno`d if you want to do the conversion !!
Gain of 34whp made it good value for money I thought ..

Mines got a 16g .. machined into it .. it is way cool and suits the car down to the ground.
NZ$1500 full turbo recon, 16g fitted, fitted to car and dyno`d if you want to do the conversion !!
Gain of 34whp made it good value for money I thought ..

Gain of 34whp over what? i.e. what was the set up prior to the 16g addition?

I have!
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=130091

I love it....

Big 16g is better, its got a bigger compressor wheel. Ill probly be swapping mine out for a 20g in the future when i have the time.

Let me know if i can help out anymore...

Has your car seen the dyno yet? that looks like a nice set up you got there. also, how much boost are you running on it, and what is the max advisable boost to run on it? any opinions on the 15g v. 16g?

Has your car seen the dyno yet? that looks like a nice set up you got there. also, how much boost are you running on it, and what is the max advisable boost to run on it? any opinions on the 15g v. 16g?

Running low boost now(8-9psi)...car is getting a lot of goodies soon : big valves 531, MLS headgeaskets, Efan, and a bunch if other little things it needs before the car will be strapped down. But come winter there will be a few AZ cars dyno'ing

It all depends on what you want. Ive spent a lot of time around the mitsubishi's and like them a lot. The 15g/16t's are a nice bolt on to the 90+ and offer a lot of performance benifits as well. They can just drop right it. I was looking for a step beyond that and ended up with this. The 16g's and 20g's are TD05's and have proven to make good power in the imports:
http://www.turbosystem.com/

Running low boost now(8-9psi)...car is getting a lot of goodies soon : big valves 531, MLS headgeaskets, Efan, and a bunch if other little things it needs before the car will be strapped down. But come winter there will be a few AZ cars dyno'ing

It all depends on what you want. Ive spent a lot of time around the mitsubishi's and like them a lot. The 15g/16t's are a nice bolt on to the 90+ and offer a lot of performance benifits as well. They can just drop right it. I was looking for a step beyond that and ended up with this. The 16g's and 20g's are TD05's and have proven to make good power in the imports:
http://www.turbosystem.com/

i'm running a 15g w/ k-cam and 24-12-3 ebay i/c and upgraded injectors. my goal is get as much horsepower out of it as possible without doing too much major engine overhaul (i.e. I want to keep my AW 71 and LH2.4). I figure that's around 300 crank horsepower or so, which I don't think I can (efficiently) get on a 15g with my current set up. I didn't really want to do the 19t, and i wanted to stay mitsu, so 16g seemed like the next turbo to investigate... any thoughts?

The 16G turbine flange won't fit a Volvo manifold. The easiest way to make it work would be to find a Volvo TD05 turbine housing & have it machined to fit the 16G TD05H Turbine wheel.

The REAL easy way to do it is to just take the Volvo TDO5 turbine wheel and shaft and use that in a DSM (or wherever you're getting it from) CHRA, wheel, and housing. Put it all together using your Volvo turbine housing.

Of course, the Volvo hot side is smaller and won't flow as well, but it'll be easy as hell and fun as hell too! Not too mention that it's far cheaper then having the machine work done.

But considering you are in a 7/9 (and therefore have tons of room), just get a T3/DSM adapter.

Lastly, HRC may sell just hot side housings.

i'm running a 15g w/ k-cam and 24-12-3 ebay i/c and upgraded injectors. my goal is get as much horsepower out of it as possible without doing too much major engine overhaul (i.e. I want to keep my AW 71 and LH2.4). I figure that's around 300 crank horsepower or so, which I don't think I can (efficiently) get on a 15g with my current set up. I didn't really want to do the 19t, and i wanted to stay mitsu, so 16g seemed like the next turbo to investigate... any thoughts?

You can do more then 300hp on a stock head, but it's going to take a good cam and big boost.

Same deal goes for LH 2.4.

A relatively easy thing to do is just swap on a somewhat built head. Even 38mm ex valves and a good cam alone would make a huge amount of difference. Make sure the inlet tract isn't retarted and you have a good flowing exhaust side and you could have some real fun.

But it's not going to happen that easily with a TD04. I love 'em to death because they spool fast, but that tiny hotside is a hindrance at that power number.

Normally 16g's are a TD05 thing, but I'm pretty sure there was a TD04-16g out there used on some Scoobs.

You could be smart, though...make it easier on yourself and get the head worked over.

A well ported head will flow better than a stock 16V head, and make it FAR easier to make the HP you want.

You could be smart, though...make it easier on yourself and get the head worked over.

A well ported head will flow better than a stock 16V head, and make it FAR easier to make the HP you want.

and a well worked over 8v is a cheap thing ;)

Are these Big 16Gs those Mitsubishi turbochargers that are regularly listed for sale in Ebay? Are they real mitsubishi turbos, or some chinese knock offs? Because they are quite cheap.

There's 4 variants of the 16G, smallest to largest:

small
big
EVOIII
Super16G

Big 16G's can be had for $675 shipped from some online vendors. Anything less is probably a knock-off.

No one has mentioned it but from reading other threads I had gathered that the Hahn Racecraft 10cm exhaust housing will fit with minimal modification and will improve flow on the exhaust side. It would probably cost around the same as the machine work but will flow a ton better.

No one has mentioned it but from reading other threads I had gathered that the Hahn Racecraft 10cm exhaust housing will fit with minimal modification and will improve flow on the exhaust side. It would probably cost around the same as the machine work but will flow a ton better.

Yeah Hahn offer just the housing for around $300...it flows loads better then the 7cm housing(stock) and will bolt right on to the milled 90+

The housing is also used on there Super 20g's as well....they make some gooood power. Poik picked a nice used unit up on ebay a while ago for a good price.

Back