• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 fuse rating needed for relay mod

durk80

I did Dave Barton's fuel pump relay mod for my 90 240. https://www.240turbo.com/fuelpumprelay.html Instead of splicing into the battery wire (#30), I ran a separate wire to the bus terminal under the hood. He recommends installing a fuse if doing it this way. Should the fuse rating be 8A since it says that the original relay wiring goes to fuse 4, which is 8A? Thank you for your help, and I apologize if this is a dumb question!

It's a good question. Use a 20 amp fuse. The original circuit is actually a 16amp red fuse in the no.6 location in the fuse box. Fuse four is only for the intank pump.

When you go to the store you will find it is hard to find a fuse holder that uses the volvo 16 amp type of fuse. So you buy the ATC type fuse holder that comes with a pigtail of wire and can use a 20amp ATC fuse.

Edit: If your fuel pump system is drawing proper current. You can also use a 15amp fuse. I chose a 20 amp above because this is turbobricks and you may be upgrading the pump at some time which is going to increase the current used in the circuit.

Last edited:
It's a good question. Use a 20 amp fuse. The original circuit is actually a 16amp red fuse in the no.6 location in the fuse box. Fuse four is only for the intank pump.

When you go to the store you will find it is hard to find a fuse holder that uses the volvo 16 amp type of fuse. So you buy the ATC type fuse holder that comes with a pigtail of wire and can use a 20amp ATC fuse.

Edit: If your fuel pump system is drawing proper current. You can also use a 15amp fuse. I chose a 20 amp above because this is turbobricks and you may be upgrading the pump at some time which is going to increase the current used in the circuit.

Thank you again, dl242gt, for your help and concise explanation! I'm glad that I asked the community here first because I would've placed an 8 amp fuse in there and wondered why it shorted out. It's also excellent to know that the smaller cube relay will be used for the main pump and not the pre-pump like I had thought.

I'm still wondering if there is a preferred location for where to place the fuse, i.e: closest to the relay (inside the cabin, or closer to the battery)?

I'm still wondering if there is a preferred location for where to place the fuse, i.e: closest to the relay (inside the cabin, or closer to the battery)?

It doesn't *really* matter, but I'd do inside the cabin - more weather protection - and preferably tuck it in the fuse panel area, so that it's right next to all the other fuses and you (or some future operator) don't have to remember that it exists. ;-)

It doesn't *really* matter, but I'd do inside the cabin - more weather protection - and preferably tuck it in the fuse panel area, so that it's right next to all the other fuses and you (or some future operator) don't have to remember that it exists. ;-)
u

Thank you, Khrrck! That makes more sense than placing it under the hood and being exposed to all of the elements!

Well you can also place the fuse holder under the hood near the inner fender distribution panel. At the store you can buy a weather protected fuse holder. But inside the cabin is fine as well.

Back