• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Airbags in 740/760

TheVolbro

The Collector
Hello all!

What?s the deal with drivers airbags installed or not installed on early grandpa series?

My friend just bought a 1987 760 Turbo wagon with an airbag steering wheel. I have the same year/model but mine didn?t come with one and I know that for a fact. I also have same year 740GLE and 740 Turbo models and they also were not equipped with airbag steering wheels.

Naturally, I thought the one my friend just purchased was a late model ?87 and that was why, but searching for this information online found others saying they had 1988 models WITHOUT airbags.

SOMEBODY PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME

Is there an SRS module below the driver seat? Also there should be a decal on the door post regarding Airbag if it indeed came with one from the factory.

I’ll have to check on that info and get back. For clarity, I’ve seen through other links on google that some 1988 700s got airbags and some didn’t. Did dealers ever install them on cars sold when new or were they only factory installed or not and that was it?

For sure I could be wrong, but I think back then the Airbags were still an optional factory accessory.

My old 1993 240 didn't have one either, as it wasn't mandatory until I believe 1996 or something around here.

For sure I could be wrong, but I think back then the Airbags were still an optional factory accessory.

My old 1993 240 didn't have one either, as it wasn't mandatory until I believe 1996 or something around here.

US market cars had airbags in 1988. '87 760 would have had driver's airbag, but not 740's if I recall correctly. 87 was also when ABS came in

If anyone has the "New Car Features" greenbooks, that is the surest way to define what was introduced for any given year (US market, anyway)

Back