• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What setting should I advance/retard my cam gear to? 16T turbo

89_740Turbo

I am asking for some experienced advice since I do not know much about advanced/retard cam gear settings.

Right now I am running,

- fresh 1994 b230ft squirter block
- ported 90+ manifold
- 16t
- 3in DP
- 2.5in exhaust
- Yoshifab catch can
- new green top injectors
- Sbabbs chipped lh2.2 ecu
- AW71 accumulator mod
- AEM AFR

The next step is the turbo cam and cam gear that I have but my question is, with the higher HP mods I've completed so far, what should I adjust my cam gear to for higher mid to top range power? I know there is different advance/retard settings but I'm unsure what I should adjust it to. I appreciate any advice. Thank you

Depends what you want out of the cam gear, advanced moves peak torque to a lower rpm, retarding raises it. I have an A cam all the way advanced in my NA 245 because the automatic is happier at lower RPMs. I initially bought the gear for my 242 +T so I could retard it and get a little more top end for autocross.

My experiences is that Volvos redblocks are not very good to responding cam timing changes.
I had a r-sport turbo ic 244 in early 2000's and i put a cam gear to it, i tried to advance it but i didn't notice anything in butt dyno. I try first 6degrees then 9 and nothing happened.

Unfortunately this car only had about 200hp, so if it was more powerful then maybe cam advancing changes power curve more, but i don't know.

Also i only had a D cam, so if camshaft was more let's say racier then maybe it effects something, i'm not sure.

Back