home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 04-05-2021, 03:17 PM   #76
940 16 valve
Board Member

I wouldn't say the T5 is cheaping out, I really do love the feel of how they shift. I had convinced myself I would be happy with the T5 behind the T5,and In almost every way I was. In really of 2 minds cause with the MGW shifter, the shift feel was so crisp and, and I thought the gear ratios were quite good.
But at the end of the day it's a bit of a noisy trans, and my perfectionism set in. And how is a 6 speed not more fun?

I considered the CD009 for quite a while too, but ironically it seemed like it would inevitably be more than the GS6 by the time you get a custom driveshaft and shifter figured out. And then I came across a 740 with a M47 to donate the front driveshaft which is drop in with this trans...

I had contacted bakaxel, but they wouldn't ship overseas, so I ended up going with MKM motorsports. I got the trans in 3 days which was impressive!

Hoping to get the trans in next weekend!
Old 04-09-2021, 11:38 AM   #77
940 16 valve
Board Member

Gotta love that Volvo made a recess in the flywheel that takes the same pilot bearing that BMW used in a lot of models.

Decided to reinforce the clutch fork where I had to take out some material for clearance. Probably overkill
940 16 valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:43 AM   #78
940 16 valve
Board Member

Progress!

Figured out a mounting solution for the shifter. I was initially thinking I would have to find the mount from a M90 to hold the back of it, but it turns out BMW part #25-11-7-539-193 fits nicely, and after drilling 2 holes I was able to just rivet it in. Shifter assembly from an e90 was almost dead on for length.

Finished installing the short struts, and moved the mounting bolt over to improve my -0.3 degree camber per last alignment.

Fancy mounting plate from MKM to give leeway for mounting.

All installed with new flex disc (the thicker one that M cars use)

Found a stock BMW slave cylinder line that uses a universal push fit fitting - same as the newer ford slave cylinder had with my previous setup - so I just reused the -4AN line and universal push fitting from before.

Ran out of time, so tomorrow I'll do a final once over, and get it back on the ground for a test drive!
940 16 valve is offline   Reply With Quote