home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 03-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #2576
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannadrive View Post
Won't a stiffer rear spring and no sway bar keep the one-wheel peel to a minimum? Less weight transfer = moar even amounts of traction between the two rear tires = less one-wheel peel... right?

I know there are some really quick cars that just rely on an open diff - like a lotus elise, for example (lsd is optional, but they seem to be at least ok with an open diff)... Obviously those are mid-engine and have a larger percentage of weight over the rear axle, but still, they seem to be able to shoot out of corners pretty quickly and don't seem to have much of a problem with inside tire spin... right?

I know I'm sort of comparing apples to oranges here, (different suspension designs/geometry, different layouts, different engine powerband characteristics, etc.) but that's my thoughts on the subject right now. Anyone want to correct me? I'm still a bit of a car noob.
Stiffer rear springs = less weight transfer to the rear = less rear grip. Stiffer front springs/sway, no rake(lower rear than front) and geometry correction go a LONG way to reducing the amount of inside rear wheel spin and rear traction in general.
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #2577
The Aspirator
It's a girl!

If you're looking for something fun to do, a fun change to your car, for free, weld the diff. It's not like it's permanent (unless you get slag in the bearings). If you drive it for a few months and hate it, save up for an LSD or G80. But for the short term it's a hoot! It's not like your car is particularly grandma friendly, that was my biggest complaint about the welded diff in my 242 (which I daily drove for 3 years with a wife and baby in), was the chirp chirp chirp in parking lots and the inside wheel skipping/studdering. But at more than 5mph it's fine. The first time you turn the wheel at parking lot speeds you will DEFINITELY feel the understeer, I can still remember that time, the steering wheel requires more effort, but you just compensate and get used to it over time.

Do it. It's practically free and you'll get to do some mad drifting. Doing donuts in a car with a locked diff feels completely different than an open diff, like a pendulum with your front wheels being the pivot. You'll love it!
The Aspirator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #2578
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aspirator View Post
If you're looking for something fun to do, a fun change to your car, for free, weld the diff. It's not like it's permanent (unless you get slag in the bearings). If you drive it for a few months and hate it, save up for an LSD or G80. But for the short term it's a hoot! It's not like your car is particularly grandma friendly, that was my biggest complaint about the welded diff in my 242 (which I daily drove for 3 years with a wife and baby in), was the chirp chirp chirp in parking lots and the inside wheel skipping/studdering. But at more than 5mph it's fine. The first time you turn the wheel at parking lot speeds you will DEFINITELY feel the understeer, I can still remember that time, the steering wheel requires more effort, but you just compensate and get used to it over time.

Do it. It's practically free and you'll get to do some mad drifting. Doing donuts in a car with a locked diff feels completely different than an open diff, like a pendulum with your front wheels being the pivot. You'll love it!
You are a great salesman for the welded diff. I may just have to weld my spare one up.
1967 220 amazon station wagon.
1990 244GL M47 summer DD project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles850t View Post
I fart and Reese Witherspoon falls out of my ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengisKhan View Post
I'm just a cum guzzler and I can't help myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Mom
Get a bike
Honestly I've not been to www.brickspeed.net in years so I have no idea why it's still in my sig
Poopie scissors
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #2579
iwannadrive
Board Member

Hmm... If I can find a spare diff, that's actually sounding pretty tempting now. I'm sure it would help a lot with winter traction too... Hmm.

You now have my permission to weld the diff, Jerd.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #2580
Jerd
Board Member

hahah im sold ill do it before davis then everyone can lol when i spin out at the autocross.
Jerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #2581
The Aspirator
It's a girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannadrive View Post
I'm sure it would help a lot with winter traction too
In snow you have to learn pretty quickly how to manhandle the car when sideways, because it will get sideways. A LOT, sometimes even when you're not asking for it. It's a bit scary to decel in gear down a steep icy/snowy hill and feel the back end start stepping out . But if you push in the clutch fast enough it'll straighten out. As John Lane always tells me, do it often enough that you never get that Ohh Shiii feeling anymore. Preferably often enough that your wife/gf doesn't get scared either! My wife now just says dorifto!

God I miss my 240, been daily driving my 850 for 6 months this winter. I mean e-brake turns in teh snow are fun but nothing compared to RWD.
The Aspirator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #2582
D.E
tvåförti

Quote:
sometimes even when you're not asking for it. It's a bit scary to decel in gear down a steep icy/snowy hill and feel the back end start stepping out .
^This.

I almost wrecked in the beginning of the winter when I downshifted into 2nd gear at about 50mph entering a turn on a narrow forest road.
D.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #2583
badvlvo
Bad for Babies

^^^ Hey, get back under your rock!

Welding it is better than open but can really suck autocrossing if you don't learn what the car is going to do with both rear wheels spinning the same speed all the time.

Keep a small rear bar on there with the welded, a little lift of the inside tire will do you some good exiting the corners. It will spin a little, it's travelling a shorter distance than the outside tire, but lifting it a bit will lessen the desire to slide until you go heavy on the pedal.

1988 244
badvlvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #2584
Jerd
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badvlvo View Post
^^^ Hey, get back under your rock!

Welding it is better than open but can really suck autocrossing if you don't learn what the car is going to do with both rear wheels spinning the same speed all the time.

Keep a small rear bar on there with the welded, a little lift of the inside tire will do you some good exiting the corners. It will spin a little, it's travelling a shorter distance than the outside tire, but lifting it a bit will lessen the desire to slide until you go heavy on the pedal.
So a larger rear bar might even be wanted in this case?
Old 03-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #2585
2fast242gt
Do you have a cobalt?

i wouldnt do it if your a auto x lover i would just jump to a g80 for 100 dollars. welded gets old fast..
2fast242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #2586
iwannadrive
Board Member

Quote:
In snow you have to learn pretty quickly how to manhandle the car when sideways, because it will get sideways. A LOT, sometimes even when you're not asking for it. It's a bit scary to decel in gear down a steep icy/snowy hill and feel the back end start stepping out . But if you push in the clutch fast enough it'll straighten out. As John Lane always tells me, do it often enough that you never get that Ohh Shiii feeling anymore. Preferably often enough that your wife/gf doesn't get scared either! My wife now just says dorifto!

God I miss my 240, been daily driving my 850 for 6 months this winter. I mean e-brake turns in teh snow are fun but nothing compared to RWD.
Haha, sounds like a lot of fun, once I get used to it. I already manhandle the car in the snow anyways, and get 'er sideways nearly every snowy corner I go around, but I long for more forward traction. I'm thinking it would probably be pretty awesome in the snow if I just welded the diff and removed the rear bar to counteract the extra oversteer.
iwannadrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #2587
Jerd
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast242gt View Post
i wouldnt do it if your a auto x lover i would just jump to a g80 for 100 dollars. welded gets old fast..
im really not that big into auto x any more. Local club sucks ass and the car really took a turn in a different direction i am no where close to competitive.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:10 AM   #2588
Jerd
Board Member

Help? http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=232646
Old 03-30-2011, 03:22 AM   #2589
Danyul
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerd View Post
im really not that big into auto x any more. Local club sucks ass and the car really took a turn in a different direction i am no where close to competitive.
They're still using your car on the flyers. :P
Danyul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #2590
Jerd
Board Member

Got the car running again. Waiting on Josh's boxing plates to pull the front apart put poly bushings in and replace the tie rod ends.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:08 AM   #2591
Jerd
Board Member

With weight in the back i was getting a weird noise coming from the drivers side rear tire. It was rubbing.. So i Jacked it up today pushed the fender out a bit, smashed it in with a hammer and adjusted the pan-hard bar one turn to the passenger side. I then cut a little more off the jeep springs to get it to sit about another 1/4" lower in the back. I need to order coilover springs and get the adjustable seats on... The car looks a little better and feels like it puts power down slightly better tempted to take the bump stops off and go a bit lower. As if i had not cut my bump stops it would be sitting on them and even though they are cut there is only about 1.5" of travel before they hit.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:13 AM   #2592
Tom Wiley
Board Member

Can we get some pictures?
Tom Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:15 AM   #2593
Jerd
Board Member

Ill snap some tomorrow Before class.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #2594
Jerd
Board Member

Seems like my power steering rack is going out... Thinking about looping the lines.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #2595
klr142
Turbo, what?

What makes you say so?
Old 04-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #2596
Jerd
Board Member

Difficult to discribe. Its a very unpredictable feeling. One while turning the wheel there is a patch in the rack that is rough non assisted..

belts tight fluids filled hoses are tight no leaks on the rack.. cant think of the problem being anything other than a seal in the rack.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #2597
klr142
Turbo, what?

Ah, ok. Yeah... Does sorta sound like it then. I'd still just run it until it's more dead or you can find a replacement. I know you won't like turning those 245s...
Old 04-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #2598
Jerd
Board Member

Yah i pm'd towery on his opinions. I might loop it just to try out of curiousity but either way i have a feeling ill be replacing/rebuilding the rack because i like powersteering.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #2599
FunkyStankyChicken
Rad Panda

Check your steeting u joints?
‘88 325is
‘84 533i
‘79 242
FunkyStankyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:48 AM   #2600
WeezilUSA
Board Member

Before you bother looping it, just try taking the belt off for a quick taste... Effort will be the hardest it ever will be, but its a quick way to tell.