• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Adrian's '78 245 DL+16v

lots of updates, since apparently it's been a while. Saturday was an autox, and then Sunday we had an open practice day. Drove the Tiger on Saturday, and hotlapped the hooptay on Sunday, giving rides to a bunch of people, and hunting for bugs.

- resets haven't shown up in a long time. :x: I rewired the coil with a relay between it and the rest of the world, I upped the cap to 50uf, and I swapped to a different VR sensor. Not sure which one of them did the trick, but I haven't had a reset in a few hundred miles of driving.

- New and loud exhaust leak developed in the turbo area after a long protracted session of flogging it up and down chuckanut, and some burnout practice. Going to pop the manifold off, I think I might have a crack growing or something.

- Clutch is hit & miss. Pretty sure I've already used up my Volvo budget for May, but I still need to source a new PP.

- New oil leak showed up, also in the turbo area. It's not dripping or dribbling, but it's wet and rainy and by god if I don't look like the damn exxon valdez when I park it outside.

- It's understeering like a pig. Not sure what's up there, could be tires, could be alignment, could be driving technique. More investigation to come here.

- It needs a diff. So bad. Might have to go down and pick up Poik's G80 this week, because ****damn the pegleg is killing me. There was a photog out though, so I might have some lulzy one tire fire pics in a few days. It'll spin both in a straight line, but as soon as I try and give it power in anything but a straight line it just blows the inside out of the water. If I do a little hip flick, it'll light them both, which is also lulz for passing.

- Tranny is howling in first and second. As soon as I get a new PP the whole pile of crap is going in.

No rear bar already? Raise the front for no rake and get roll correction spacers. They'll make that open diff a lot better.

Hate you so much right now Kyle.

photo-2.jpeg

I was digging into where the oil leak was coming from — had a suspicion it was the oil pressure sender, and damn if it wasn't it. Dinking around over there I bumped the turbo, and it wiggled. ****. So off came the wastegate, mani, then turbo (it all has to come apart to be able to slide out past the strut tower), 3 hours later I find that a turbine bolt's backed out a bit.
Little bit of contact, but I'll run it anyways and just keep trolling for another cheap turbo.

photo.jpeg

photo-3.jpeg

That's not too bad contact, and IIRC that turbine wheel has always looked a little scratched like that at the tips of the blades (although they'd probably be covered in soot if they weren't rubbing).

Same thing happened to me on my Holset a few thousand miles ago. Snap ring wasn't sitting properly and the compressor housing came loose!

Fathers day autox up mount baker! My dad came up and codrove the hooptay with me, course was super fun and we got like 10+ runs. I lost count at some point. Car ran great, had yet another leak at the OP sender, but just because it was loose. derp. Torqued it up and we flogged it all day long without a hitch, until we caught air coming back down the mountain and loosened up something in the exhaust pretty bad. Turns out triple digits and a poorly maintained mountain road aren't a great combination. :-(

260385_810131113850_25901816_40688683_5684241_n.jpg

I finally got to listen to what my car sounds like from outside, it sounds so awesome while inside it sounds like such ass. It also looks pretty cool sideways. I've got a couple of crappy clips that I'll try and snag later.

First session shows the course layout, second one the camera wiggled and is a bitchin video of me spinning the wheel around. :lol:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OC_qGyh02WU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Too cool. Is that with Kaplan steering?

Ohh how I miss Mt Baker. That fathers day autox is such a brilliant idea, I always wanted to take my dad up there and codrive with him but never seemed to get the chance. I'm glad you and your dad were able to.

Back