• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My latest $300 Volvo acquistion

VB242

I.M. Weasel
It's an '89 780, almost 0 body defects, a couple interior flaws but in all a solid no rust car.
2016-08-06_02-00-03

2016-08-06_01-58-47

2016-08-06_01-59-51

2016-08-06_02-00-55

2016-08-06_02-00-21

2016-08-06_02-00-34

2016-08-06_02-02-09

2016-08-06_02-02-23

2016-08-06_02-16-02

Some dents on the passenger door

2016-08-06_02-16-22
The engine is half disassembled, only seems to be missing the radiator, intercooler, and the boost piping and the flame trap hose.

2016-08-06_01-59-37

2016-08-06_02-01-53

2016-08-06_02-02-49

Any guesses on the turbo? It's the pre-90 manifold with the Pierburg valve to recirc boost, doesn't look to be any tampering with a MBC or anything the hose goes right from the turbo to the WG. Someone did a cat delete though and it has Dephi D1610BA injectors, which seem to 30.5lbs, probably ok for LH2.2.

Awesome car, and so much better looking and more distinctive than the hordes of monster SUVs always polluting my line of sight! Please keep us updated on this project!

Some form of a Garrett turbo, I'd guess a 42/48 T3.
There is a belly pan, I'd expect the same as a normal 7/9.
Standalone trans cooler is normal.

Definitely clean for $300!

The part number for the rear end is 3516587. I'm not sure what that other number is.

The parts catalog shows it's an open diff.

It's alive, started it without the amm or boost piping or coolant for few seconds but it ran nice and smooth. FPR is peeing fuel outi of the vacuum port fbut I think I have a couple spares.

Here's a vid of my first drive in it, no driving after the first minute, I started trying to figure out why the clicking the high beam switch was making the car shut off and I forgot I had the camera on. I still have to hook up the exhaust and sort out these electrical gremlins but I'm just happy it goes forward and back without any drama. Talk about full floater suspension though. :-) starting electrical help me thread.

https://youtu.be/PoJDWJs6ilw

28810772105_fea102e58c.jpg

yeah its not separate per say, but its a secondary one to help with all your fat loads

The drivers seat is a little crooked and doesn't want to tilt even though the motor runs, it also doesn't flip forward, something else to occupy my time. They do suck you right in though, cushiest seats on anything I own, and including my girlfriend's Acura tl

Update:
Previa van spring/shock conversion complete, o/d diy solenoid bypass done, a/c charged with 134 has held it for a couple days now. Picked up skid plate from pick n pull, still needs a radio. The radio comes on on the factory unit but the equalizer appears doa, tried bypassing eq but still no sound. Probably will get a Kenwood from best buy. Still have SRS and abs lights as well as o/d up arrow showing. Gauges work fairly regularly, usually not right on start up but after a little driving they all come to life. Hooked up turbo + solenoid, italso seems to be working, but hard to tell with ambiguous factory boost gauge, boost isn't running away anyway. It still doesn't idle perfectly, but it's better with the 2nd tank of gas in it, it runs very well going down the road. There are holes under the headlights for the wipers, are they stock on all 780's? What switch is supposed to operate them? I have a switch next to fog light switch that doesn't seem to do anything. Need to look into seat switches, not all functions function.

780 autocross vids from today, not for the easily seasick or rally-impaired. Not sure where I finished in PAX time but I ran in G-Street class. Tires are Prime Well rears and Sumic fronts 205/65/15 from the Pick N Pull. I had a good run going by #4 but it stalled out in the sweeper for unknown reasons, fired right back up once I got it in neutral, I have no idea what happened, it drove home fine. If anyone feels to need to tell how much fun I didn't have or how much time I wasted when I could have been out kicking rocks up into my paint job, please start your own thread about how "great" rally is and how sucky autocross is and stay out of mine.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rehR2EPNAGk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zdU5bG71hOM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6Gst06mcBic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QMKJ2mU6bz0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ell rears and Sumic fronts 205/65/15 from the Pick N Pull. I had a good run going by #4 but it stalled out in the sweeper for unknown reasons, fired right back up once I got it in neutral, I have no idea what happened, it drove home fine.

Probably fuel starvation because of fuel being forced away from the pickup due to G-force.
In a fast left sweeper the fuel ends up against the right side wall of the tank.

I had no idea Previa springs + shocks fit a 780. (is that for the live axel rear suspension or for the IRS?)

Back