home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 08-27-2021, 12:21 AM   #1
1968 volvo
Board Member

Default 1968 Volvo

Hey Turbo Bricks! Last year sometime I pulled a junk yard 1968 Volvo 142s and brought it home. I was determined to save it and make it my first car. Its the first (but not the last) car I've restored so everything I've done has been brand new. Before this I had no idea what anything on a car was and all I had to restore it was a couple of screwdrivers. Now I have a reasonable knowledge of an engine's inner-workings and way too many tools. I am far from done however. She runs and drives (and stops) quite nicely but is quite an eyesore. I'm looking to paint but I have some problems. I have never painted a car, I have never had it done, I don't know what is involved, I don't have a billion dollars, and to me, there couldn't be a more tedious subject than painting. I need some help and you guys seem like the people to ask. I don't need it to look like a million dollars but I would like it to last or at least be easily fixable. Also I live in the state of California and I'm wondering if there's a different state that more "durable" chemicals are allowed.

Feel free to suggest anything including colors and different paint shops or diy. I don't know.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:46 AM   #2
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968 volvo View Post
Hey Turbo Bricks! Last year sometime I pulled a junk yard 1968 Volvo 142s and brought it home. I was determined to save it and make it my first car. Its the first (but not the last) car I've restored so everything I've done has been brand new. Before this I had no idea what anything on a car was and all I had to restore it was a couple of screwdrivers. Now I have a reasonable knowledge of an engine's inner-workings and way too many tools. I am far from done however. She runs and drives (and stops) quite nicely but is quite an eyesore. I'm looking to paint but I have some problems. I have never painted a car, I have never had it done, I don't know what is involved, I don't have a billion dollars, and to me, there couldn't be a more tedious subject than painting. I need some help and you guys seem like the people to ask. I don't need it to look like a million dollars but I would like it to last or at least be easily fixable. Also I live in the state of California and I'm wondering if there's a different state that more "durable" chemicals are allowed.

Feel free to suggest anything including colors and different paint shops or diy. I don't know.
For the diy approach. Eastwood sells a product called "Optiflow" primer. Its a roll on primer. So take the car down to metal with appropriate grit paper and roll on the primer. Then you can wetsand it for a nice smooth finish base, and drop it off at the local maaco, or body shop for some color and clear. Or, you can roll on a single stage, and spend the next year wetsanding it. Seen it done and it can look great. Or it can look like a pile.

I wouldnt say that Cali paint is less durable. Theres just more strict regulations on VOC's and booth ventilation, and what the homeowner can do in his driveway.

Single stage offers easy repair, but requires maintenance.

Base clear offers durability, and some level of easy or diy repair, but costs a bit more.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:54 AM   #3
Mr. V
Board Member

I haven't learned to do paint or body work but were I curious I'd start by exploring the info on YouTube.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:25 PM   #4
1968 volvo
Board Member

will do.
1968 volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:08 PM   #5
fatcatbestcat
Professional Hack

Do you have any pictures of the car? Have you looked at the rust or the underside of the car?

I once was trying to 'restore' an old 140... and we now know how that ended.

-------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando View Post
Get f*cked and please have a nice day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IansPlatinum View Post
please no more prying things with screwdrivers and bashing things with hammers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwazywazy View Post
my balls have more wrinkles than my brain
Quote:
Originally Posted by leecatd8209 View Post
Against all odds I have overcome the 4

--------------------------------------------

-1967 144S
-1983 245 Diesel (Current Project) - passively for sale (interested in trades!)
fatcatbestcat is offline   Reply With Quote